PDA

View Full Version : Mobo problem??

SnaFuBAR
December 12th, 2007, 05:07 PM
So, i just got an Asus micro atx mobo for my 4th computer. I've NEVER had a problem from them, so this comes as a surprise...

So here's the problem. I hooked up a DVD-R/W drive via the IDE cable, and get no response from the drive. Everything else powers up fine. When I unplug the IDE cable the drive powers up normally and actually opens and closes when I press the eject button.

To test if it was a problem with the drive itself, I popped it into another computer and hooked it up with the IDE and power cable. Works as intended.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? How did you get it resolved?

mR_r0b0to
December 13th, 2007, 07:38 AM
call asus and return it :)
worked for me

beele
December 13th, 2007, 08:03 AM
have you tried hooking up another CD/DVD drive to that IDE cable?
Make sure the jumper settings are correct.
Maybe check your bios for hardware errors.

Rob Oplawar
December 13th, 2007, 11:42 AM
^ yeah check your jumpers

Patrickssj6
December 13th, 2007, 11:52 AM
If Master is set to none in Bios and if you still attach a slave, it won't be recognized.

A virus corrupted my Bios once by changing my HDD to slave...my computer couldn't recognize it. I had to manually fix it.

p0lar_bear
December 13th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Try putting your video card in backwards and ripping out your integrated audio jacks.

But yeah, check your jumpers and CMOS settings.

InnerGoat
December 13th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Try putting your video card in backwards and ripping out your integrated audio jacks.

But yeah, check your jumpers and CMOS settings.:lol:

If the jumpers or BIOS settings are not the problem, then try out a different cable or put the drive on another IDE channel (assuming the board has two or more).

SnaFuBAR
December 13th, 2007, 07:53 PM
have you tried hooking up another CD/DVD drive to that IDE cable? Same result.
Make sure the jumper settings are correct. They're fine.
Maybe check your bios for hardware errors. No signal to screen.

If Master is set to none in Bios and if you still attach a slave, it won't be recognized. Can't see Bios setting, no signal to screen.

A virus corrupted my Bios once by changing my HDD to slave...my computer couldn't recognize it. I had to manually fix it. No OS= no virus.

If the jumpers or BIOS settings are not the problem, then try out a different cable or put the drive on another IDE channel (assuming the board has two or more). Tried multiple cables, same result. No other IDE channels :/

I got an email from them, and I was told that my PSU may not be powerful enough to run the board, but that's not the case. My current psu is 300 watts, and I have a P5 board in another pc running 230 watts, no problems.

I think I'll return the board as mr.roboto suggested.

SnaFuBAR
December 15th, 2007, 05:02 PM
problem solved. turns out that the power connector wasn't seating properly. i managed to get it to seat, though.