PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Memory Usage

Gamerkd16
December 22nd, 2007, 04:45 AM
Well, I'm hoping someone has the answer to this. I was editing a video in Vegas and everything was going fine. I finished adding stuff to the video and started to go back and correct sound errors, stuff like that. Then the graphics of the program got weird and started changing colors and it shut off. I loaded it again, it shut off 2 minutes after it was running. The third time it gave me an "unexpected error" popup. Every time I tried running the program, it would give me a variation of those three errors. I then noticed how high the memory usage for Vegas was going. At times, it was at 1,000,000. I can't even break 100,000 with sapien running. What could possibly be going on? And why would this happen so spontaneously? Here's a picture of the memory usage:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1971/wtfbw4.th.jpg (http://img214.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wtfbw4.jpg)

The memory would start low at 15000, then climb higher and higher as I kept editing.

I tried running a blank file and it had a minimum of 115000.

Any insight guys?

Syuusuke
December 22nd, 2007, 09:23 AM
If you just leave it open, does it continue to eat up some of your memory?

343guiltymc
December 22nd, 2007, 09:33 AM
This happens to me for no reason when I first started up service pack 1, I just logged off and logged on again and it was fine.

Gamerkd16
December 22nd, 2007, 04:01 PM
Yeah, it will climb in memory usage as the file loads and as a preview of the movie plays. I understand an editor should take up a lot of memory, this is expected, but to take up this much is ridiculous.

Some things I tried doing was restarted computer. Nothing. Restoring the computer to two days ago. Nothing.

Something did come to my attention though. Yesterday afternoon I tried to update my lightscribe driver and then after it restarted after the update I had a full white screen. The process for this white screen was "DISCGUI.exe". I just deleted the process and thought nothing of it. Could a recent update of my driver conflict with my vegas somehow?

One last thing. In the task manager under CPU I'm not getting numbers like 00 and 01 for vegas. I'm getting 37, 64, 73. Does this mean anything?

343guiltymc
December 22nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
Yeah, it will climb in memory usage as the file loads and as a preview of the movie plays. I understand an editor should take up a lot of memory, this is expected, but to take up this much is ridiculous.

Some things I tried doing was restarted computer. Nothing. Restoring the computer to two days ago. Nothing.

Something did come to my attention though. Yesterday afternoon I tried to update my lightscribe driver and then after it restarted after the update I had a full white screen. The process for this white screen was "DISCGUI.exe". I just deleted the process and thought nothing of it. Could a recent update of my driver conflict with my vegas somehow?

One last thing. In the task manager under CPU I'm not getting numbers like 00 and 01 for vegas. I'm getting 37, 64, 73. Does this mean anything?
Did you try defragging your HDD? Or do you have a resource hog anti-virus software like me? Norton 360 keeps giving me warnings when I'm playing COH:OP (which is also a resource hog :().