PDA

View Full Version : Zune 2

Snowy
January 12th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Who has one of the new Zunes (4gb/8gb)? I'm in need of a new Mp3 player since my Alienware one broke a few months ago... The reviews seem to have the Zune in positive light, but I'd like a personal opinion. How's Zune Marketplace? I hear you can get unlimited downloads for $10/month?

Just would like some opinions please. :)

BobtheGreatII
January 12th, 2008, 09:35 PM
One of my friends has the Zune Flash, she likes it. I find the Zune marketplace to be decent (I have the first Zune '30gb'), of course, I've never used the iTunes. I love my Zune and I would suggest it for everyone else. Welcome to the Social. (<I'm old school)

supersniper
January 12th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Psh! Itunes is awesome. the Ipod is basically the only apple product I have. And it works fine when used on windows. I personally like the Ipod better. It truely depends what you really want. I say go for an Ipod. Try the new classic or the touch. (Jailbreak helps :D)

BobtheGreatII
January 12th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Psh! Itunes is awesome. the Ipod is basically the only apple product I have. And it works fine when used on windows. I personally like the Ipod better. It truely depends what you really want. I say go for an Ipod. Try the new classic or the touch. (Jailbreak helps :D)

Please don't turn this into a Zune vs iPod thing, the last thing these forums need is another one of those. Here are some things on the Zune and iPod:
8GB Flash models

Storage: 8GB (well, duh), approx. 2,000 songs.
Display: 2.0″ (iPod), 1.8″ (Zune)
Resolution: 320 x 240 (both)
Colors: Black, Red, Green (both); White and Blue (iPod only); Pink (Zune only)
Battery life: 24/5 hours audio/video (iPod), 20/4 hours a/v (Zune)
Dimensions:
iPod: 2.75″ x 2.06″ x 0.25″ (28.7 cm^2)
Zune: 1.6″ x 3.6″ x 0.33″ (23.7 cm^2)
Weight: 1.7oz (both)
Price: $199 (both) 80GB Hard drive models

Storage: 80GB, approx. 20,000 songs.
Display: 2.5″ (iPod), 3.2″ (Zune)
Resolution: 320 x 240 (both)
Colors: Black (both), White (iPod only)
Battery life: 30/5 hours audio/video (iPod*), 20/5 hours a/v (Zune*)
* (estimates from amazon.com; Apple claims 40/7 on iPod)
Dimensions:
iPod: 2.4″ x 4.1″ x 0.41″ (67.2 cm^2)
Zune: 2.4″ x 4.25″ x 0.5″ (85.3 cm^2)
Weight: 4.9oz (iPod), 4.5oz (Zune)
Price: $249 (both)
Source: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=394

TPE
January 13th, 2008, 02:12 AM
The market place in zune is ok. It feels ALOT more implemented into the software than Itunes store is, but the selection in the itunes store is so much better.

My zune 30 GB is pure win. This thing is so durable i cant believe it. One time for a science field trip to some tide pools we had to kind of rock climb up and down this hill. I had my zune in my pocket and my friend had his 30 GB Ipod video in his pocket. We were both waiting to go down the hill from where we were so we leaned on some rocks. I was pretty much leaning on my zune. So when we get back to the bus he goes to pull out his Ipod and finds his screen cracked. Mine was fine even though I was putting all my weight on it.

Also my friend dropped his 30 GB down the concrete stairs of our old school and it still worked just as good. Also my zune has hardly NO scratches. None that are too noticeable on the screen. My old 20 GB 3rd gen Ipod I had to have a designated pocket for it because if i put some coins or something into the pocket my Ipod was in. It would get torn up by the coins.

Honestly the zune is the best in my opinion. It has a WAY better and easy to use interface. Changing the volume or selecting the song is no longer an epic struggle like it was on my ipod. I would seriously sit their for a minute and try to get it to select one song but it would keep hopping allover the place. The new zune 2.0 interface is very awesome much sleeker and smooth than the ipod's (maybe not the touch).

One thing that the zune does have and the ipod does not that most people over look is a upgradeable firmware. So instead of just chucking your old ipod/zune and forking over $200 for the newest model. You just have to update your zune.

SnaFuBAR
January 13th, 2008, 04:55 AM
i played with the new zune, and the controls are hardly as user friendly as the ipod. when you pick up an ipod, you almost know what to do with it in under a minute since the controls are that intuitive.

the new nano and the touch are really quite nice.

BobtheGreatII
January 13th, 2008, 03:31 PM
i played with the new zune, and the controls are hardly as user friendly as the ipod. when you pick up an ipod, you almost know what to do with it in under a minute since the controls are that intuitive.

Meh, the Zune's controls are very simple. It has a back arrow, a D-pad like control system, a touch pad, and a play button. That's very difficult isn't it. :rolleyes:

Syuusuke
January 13th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Creative Zen.

Or else, Zune =)

ImSpartacus
January 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM

I have a 2nd gen nano 4gb and the controls are great for simple things, but anything past music they suck.

Ever tried to reset a nano (not sure if its different from ipod to ipod)? It's a bitch. I've had to do it about 5 times and I still forget the button code (I usually have to google it every time my ipod is acting up).

And it honestly took me half an hour to shut the goddamn thing off. and since then, I've accidentally shut it off many many times.

Granted for browsing and controlling music they work fine, but on that occasion when you need some more, 5 buttons and a scroll wheel fail.

I can't speak for the Zune, it may suck just as much, or may rock. :dramabomb:

(BTW- my nano was free and i dont listen to music enough to get something else)

the new nano is kind of cool, but the touch is too much money for a flash based player that isn't an iphone. just my opinion.

SnaFuBAR
January 14th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Meh, the Zune's controls are very simple. It has a back arrow, a D-pad like control system, a touch pad, and a play button. That's very difficult isn't it. :rolleyes:
Yah because i said it was really difficult, didn't I? You might want to improve your reading comprehension there, boy.:rolleyes:

I have a 2nd gen nano 4gb and the controls are great for simple things, but anything past music they suck.

Ever tried to reset a nano (not sure if its different from ipod to ipod)? It's a bitch. I've had to do it about 5 times and I still forget the button code (I usually have to google it every time my ipod is acting up).

And it honestly took me half an hour to shut the goddamn thing off. and since then, I've accidentally shut it off many many times.

Granted for browsing and controlling music they work fine, but on that occasion when you need some more, 5 buttons and a scroll wheel fail.

I can't speak for the Zune, it may suck just as much, or may rock. :dramabomb:

(BTW- my nano was free and i dont listen to music enough to get something else)

the new nano is kind of cool, but the touch is too much money for a flash based player that isn't an iphone. just my opinion.

Oh, I have a 3rd generation. The button combo is menu+center button if it freezes and you have to reset it.

BobtheGreatII
January 14th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Yah because i said it was really difficult, didn't I? You might want to improve your reading comprehension there, boy.:rolleyes:

I assumed that you saying this:

i played with the new zune, and the controls are hardly as user friendly as the ipod

That you had difficulty using the controls, I simply said that they aren't as hard as you seem to be making them out to be. I would suggest you let it go, now.

SnaFuBAR
January 14th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Your assumption/mis comprehension was wrong.

BobtheGreatII
January 14th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Your assumption/mis comprehension was wrong.

Mmmm k :)

Anyway, I still support the Zune all the way!

Snowy
January 15th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I decided not to get the Zune.

Thanks for the help guys! :)