PDA

View Full Version : Audiosurf

odseraphim
January 14th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Here's a video of me playing Fading Entity from Voices of the Lifestream (the FFVII remix album) in the most recent build of the Audiosurf Beta.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/159449.html (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/159449.html)

http://media.audio-surf.com/Audiosurf_IGF_Screenshot3_600.jpg

About Audiosurf:
Audiosurf allows you to experience the intensity and emotion of your songs in real time, in full color, and in 3D. Songs that give you an adrenaline rush are converted into wild roller coaster rides full of color and motion. Songs that calm you down appear as cool colors against a relaxing sky. Audiosurf enhances the experience of your music collection by synchronizing its environment to the events in your songs--the beats, the intense sections, the long pauses followed by a burst of sound, all take on a more vivid meaning.

In Audiosurf, you race down a futuristic and colorful highway. The highway, the traffic patterns, and the scenery are all synchronized to the music you have chosen from your own collection. You earn points for clustering together cars of the same color on the highway, and can compete with others on the internet for the high score on your favorite songs. Audiosurf builds a highway for any music CD, MP3, iTunes M4A, WMA, or OGG song you choose, so the experience that you have is totally up to you.

http://www.audio-surf.com (http://www.audio-surf.com/)

Finalist in the IGF 2008 competition, and will most likely be the next big thing in pc/console gaming. I hope they start porting this game, as it's amazing, and with you being able to use any song, the replay value is infinite!

LlamaMaster
January 14th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Trippy. 0_o

Tweek
January 14th, 2008, 11:39 AM
i need this game

0m3g4Muff1n987
January 14th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Ahhh! The first beta is over! Crap. Now I have to wait.

I still don't understand what it really is. So is it kind of like a music game, like GH?

odseraphim
January 14th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Ahhh! The first beta is over! Crap. Now I have to wait.

I still don't understand what it really is. So is it kind of like a music game, like GH?
It's not like Guitar Hero, but it is. You don't have to hit every block, it's more like columns or lumines in a way. Well, it depends on what character you pick to play as (different character determines how your ship can move/what ability you have). I am playing Mono in that vid, so my goal was to avoid the grey blocks and hit the color ones. A 30% bonus is accrued if you don't hit a single grey block. I am also playing the Easy version of Mono in that vid, there is an Expert version called Ninja Mono, where there are no shoulders. That version is HARD.

ExAm
January 14th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Awesome. I'll see if I can grab a beta.

1-z6YK92otg

...Shit :O

Dr Nick
January 14th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I can't wait for this.
I wonder if it's gonna cost money, or it's gonna be free.

Xetsuei
January 14th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Awesome. I'll see if I can grab a beta.

1-z6YK92otg

...Shit :O

HOLY SHIT LMAO!!

InnerGoat
January 14th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Xetsuei™;210846']HOLY SHIT LMAO!!Yeah that looks like a bitch :lol:

odseraphim
January 15th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I can't wait for this.
I wonder if it's gonna cost money, or it's gonna be free.
It'll cost money, but I highly doubt it'll be over $20. For infinite replay value, I think this game is worth a Jackson.

Reaper Man
January 15th, 2008, 06:57 AM
O: I want this game.

nooBBooze
January 15th, 2008, 10:57 AM
If this is compatible with bob marley i might consider buying it.
but i highly doubt songs like his will look good
on it. :/

beele
January 15th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I want this game, looks sweet.

PlasbianX
January 15th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I dont get how this game is appealing, whats so fun about dodging a couple of blocks?

ExAm
January 15th, 2008, 04:24 PM
You're missing the point :v

PlasbianX
January 15th, 2008, 04:39 PM
You're missing the point :v

I know, cause I fail to see how this game is fun in any shape or form.

4RT1LL3RY
January 15th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Play the next weekend beta when it comes out. This game is apperently like crack to people. It makes just listening to music boring. Its already nominated for a few awards in the Independent Gaming Festival. Play the next weekend Beta they do and you will see. They had to end the last one early because their were way more people palyign then they expected and their servers couldn't take it.

I would love it if I could set some of the songs of former play throughs as screen savers with audio though. It looks fun though.

odseraphim
January 15th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I know, cause I fail to see how this game is fun in any shape or form.
Use your eyes. Possibly your ears.
It's not only dodging blocks, there is also a tetris-esque combo mode, which is the one I played in this song (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/160132.html), where you can create combos by aligning blocks, holding blocks, etc. You can use any song, the track is totally custom to whatever song you pick, it has ramps up for slow sections and slopes downwards for fast parts.

The blocks represent beats, sometimes words, sometimes notes. It's not really just a game, it's more of an experience. Everything in the environment is based around what YOU picked to play. Maybe you are still unable to understand, but that's ok. It's probably not a game for you, anyways.

PlasbianX
January 15th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Use your eyes. Possibly your ears.
It's not only dodging blocks, there is also a tetris-esque combo mode, which is the one I played in this song (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/160132.html), where you can create combos by aligning blocks, holding blocks, etc. You can use any song, the track is totally custom to whatever song you pick, it has ramps up for slow sections and slopes downwards for fast parts.

The blocks represent beats, sometimes words, sometimes notes. It's not really just a game, it's more of an experience. Everything in the environment is based around what YOU picked to play. Maybe you are still unable to understand, but that's ok. It's probably not a game for you, anyways.

Didnt have to be such an ass about it... I just didnt see it how it was fun. I didnt know anything about a combo system or anything like that. I just thought you dodged stuff. Ofcourse im gonna try it out now and see what the hype is. Listening to music and doing air guitar is getting boring :<

FireDragon04
January 15th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Game looks amazing, i'm patiently waiting for it lol. Hopefully, it will be out Early Feb not late lol.

Looks amazing, and that its super simple to input your own song to play is highly appealing.

[Written at 5:46 without sleep...apologies]

Bastinka
January 15th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Game looks amazing, i'm patiently waiting for it lol. Hopefully, it will be out Early Feb not late lol.

Looks amazing, and that its super simple to input your own song to play is highly appealing.[/ninja]
Hehe matt.
Also, I've played a couple of Bob Marley songs on this (Big Fan). Don't ask how I got it, and I never said anything BUT any song really looks and sounds good on this game. :)

Keep us posted on any updates of this game seraph!

FireDragon04
January 16th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Just got the beta +h4x to play and i can't stop playing.
The way the game flows, like in seeded up and slow down tempo of a song is amazing, simply one a kind.

*Carries on playing*

Edit:
I'd film some, but fraps hates me today.
I've played alot of Thursday and Journey. It's fun to see how Metal and Rock play differently.
About to play some Dragonforce and Demon Hunter.

odseraphim
January 16th, 2008, 10:29 AM
About to play some Dragonforce and Demon Hunter.
Demon Hunter's Carry me Down plays well (from Storm the Gates of Hell). That's the only one I tried.

I also tried Some will seek forgiveness, others escape by Under0ath and the ending is GREAT.

Timo
January 16th, 2008, 01:18 PM
This would make an awesome xbox arcade game, imo. I love how the track has gradual curves and sometimes even flips upside down in intense parts ;o

Bastinka
January 16th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Hah I showed firedragon the Demon Hunter - Sixteen song. I wish it worked for me as it worked for him. :[

FireDragon04
January 16th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Indeed, lol. Defiantly a great game.

I've tried recording some with Fraps, but the decrease in fps is so 'noticeable' even on my pc. And a little drop in fps can meen alot in games like this.

So.... this is the best one i could record, just uploaded it so.

w1GtNsI9cWs

Edit:
Another one is up lol.

0xaNOwpDtAM

4RT1LL3RY
January 16th, 2008, 06:49 PM
You wouldn't mind telling me how you bypassed the thing that prevenst offline play would you? I really want to get to play it.

FireDragon04
January 16th, 2008, 06:57 PM
It's a google search away... easy stuff. Took me 20mins to find it, download the game, bypass the beta stage and unlock after lunch. I've been playing ever since, coming up on 12 hours playtime now :eek: (UK)

*Has updated my last post with another video...check it out ^^^^*

Bastinka
January 16th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Well I've tried playing Through The Fire and Flames, I did pretty good this was my 3rd run about and Fraps messed me up so bad it was horrible. It randomly 'jumped' to one side of the track at some, few, parts of the movie and I shortly got disconnected with my mouse which go to be quite annoying. Thats only when I use fraps though, my computer doesn't like it.

Anyway heres the video, thanks to firedragon for uploading it, my computer doesn't like uploading to youtube either :[

xAd1o99ReZQ

4RT1LL3RY
January 16th, 2008, 08:46 PM
This is game is awesome. Its really fun with songs you like. I would defenently be willing to spend $10 on it. Its like driving a car filled with nitros oxide while on LSD. Not that I've done that. :eyesroll:

Bastinka
January 16th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Nah thats just the fast songs, I'm trying to find songs faster than Through the Fire and Flames to give me a real challenge. + Thats on the 'hardest' difficulty. It's really not as easy as it looks, well to me it is.. but yeah haha. This game is worth every penny.

odseraphim
January 17th, 2008, 10:27 AM
http://media.audio-surf.com/AudiosurfLogo_400.png (http://www.audio-surf.com)
They've having another beta weekend (1-19-08), click on the image above to go to their site and sign up for their mailing list to get in! (top right)

beele
January 17th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I finally got the beta, but I can't select any music. I cant' open any of the folders it shows to pick music from (if I click on it nothing happens, it won't view the content of the folder).

I think I have to wait for the new beta.

4RT1LL3RY
January 17th, 2008, 10:51 AM
What format is the music in?

beele
January 17th, 2008, 10:54 AM
MP3/CDA(if on an audio cd)/ and some others I think.

4RT1LL3RY
January 17th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Dunno whats wrong with it then. Try navigating from your C: drive to where your music is, that should work.

This game would be awesome on an Ipod or Zune.

beele
January 17th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I rebooted the game and it works, strange, but I'm glad it's working now. It's so addicting.

Cortexian
January 17th, 2008, 03:04 PM
So it's like a racing DDR game, I might enjoy it :awesome:.

4RT1LL3RY
January 17th, 2008, 09:44 PM
No, its like racing DDR tetris. Its great as long as you have good music. Also, I suck at ninja mono. Pointman and Pusher are my favorite characters to play as, I like mono on casual though.

ExAm
January 18th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Well I've tried playing Through The Fire and Flames, I did pretty good this was my 3rd run about and Fraps messed me up so bad it was horrible. It randomly 'jumped' to one side of the track at some, few, parts of the movie and I shortly got disconnected with my mouse which go to be quite annoying. Thats only when I use fraps though, my computer doesn't like it.

Anyway heres the video, thanks to firedragon for uploading it, my computer doesn't like uploading to youtube either :[

xAd1o99ReZQWhat did you get on that song? I recorded a video of my 137190 TTFAF run, I'll upload it tomorrow.

InnerGoat
January 19th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Game BSOD'd on TTFAF, lol.

:awesome:

PlasbianX
January 19th, 2008, 11:43 AM
This game is fucking epic :awesome:

Syuusuke
January 19th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Get your 2nd Beta guys =S

Also, play on
You Know my Name - Chris Cornell
and
Furious Angels - Rob Dougan

Guzzie
January 19th, 2008, 12:33 PM
This game is all I have been doing for the last 5 hours.

Syuusuke
January 19th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Also play Sandstorm - Darude =D

4RT1LL3RY
January 19th, 2008, 03:15 PM
This game is fucking epic :awesome:

Hehe, and you didn't see the point of it before.
Welcome to the epic side. :lol:

InnerGoat
January 19th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Game BSOD'd on TTFAF, lol.

:awesome:Update - works in Vista fine.

I'm not good at this. :lol:

PlasbianX
January 19th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Hehe, and you didn't see the point of it before.
Welcome to the epic side. :lol:

Never ever judge a book by its cover :D. I thought this game looked like shit, but now im addicted!

FireDragon04
January 20th, 2008, 10:54 AM
New Beta has been down for like 24hours, this isn't good :( No weekend beta, i wanted to try out how Pro Mono (new medium mono) and how Ninja mono felt with Jumping lol.

Still playing V1 still loving it... :XD:

Sel
January 20th, 2008, 12:14 PM
So wait, you can use any song in your music library with this?

PlasbianX
January 20th, 2008, 12:19 PM
So wait, you can use any song in your music library with this?

Yep :d

8uBIlFt-PzM
Its me :o

Guzzie
January 20th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Use the S and D keys for movement. It returns the ship to the middle lane when you let go of either. Far more precise. C key clears gray blocks.

Emmzee
January 20th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I came.

InnerGoat
January 20th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Did the beta just end? :-3

Syuusuke
January 20th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Apparently.

The site is also down...so maybe when it comes back up, we'll see? =P

OmegaDragon
January 23rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
I loved playing the beta. I don't know what it is, but playing the motorcycle chase music from FFVII in hard made me almost piss my pants in the awesomeness of this game.

PlasbianX
January 23rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
I loved playing the beta. I don't know what it is, but playing the motorcycle chase music from FFVII in hard made me almost piss my pants in the awesomeness of this game.

Link to the MP3? :o

n00b1n8R
January 23rd, 2008, 04:12 PM
FUCK YEAH AUDIOSURF
I need to check the tech section more often :3

also, played the beta last weekend, WANT IT NOW

also, this is sparta remix was awesome.

Random
January 23rd, 2008, 05:35 PM
Hey I found out how to make a really hard track.

Although I am not sure if you want to listen to the sound (a generated tone from audacity)

http://media.putfile.com/crazy-track

InnerGoat
January 24th, 2008, 06:27 PM
One more beta coming sometime :woop:

FireDragon04
January 24th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Really? wow. Good stuff. Unfortunately, 'audio-surf.com (http://www.audio-surf.com/)' still doesn't work... if the server truly is linked to the site...then...
Well, i couldn't get the last beta working just said 'Expired' every time, and no 'auto-updater' or anything. And the site has been down since then anyway :XD: odd stuff.
Still awesome game!

InnerGoat
January 24th, 2008, 06:55 PM
The last beta only worked for 24 hours or so. You might have missed the window. Also, the web site works fine and has been...

FireDragon04
January 24th, 2008, 07:10 PM
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2120/nopeup3.jpg
And has been like that for the last 6 days for me... hmmmm

Bossniak
January 24th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Did you edit a file called "host"?

FireDragon04
January 24th, 2008, 07:36 PM
ahhhhh...there we go, fixed :rolleyes: thanks!

PlasbianX
January 24th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Im in the list of top players for jordan and chop suey :D

InnerGoat
February 11th, 2008, 06:02 PM
One more beta coming sometime :woop:
Don't know what happened to this but,

News: Steamed! Audiosurf is available on Steam for $9.95 and includes the entire Orange Box Soundtrack! Friday is release day.

http://kotaku.com/355111/steam-welcomes-audiosurf-this-friday

FireDragon04
February 11th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Holy awesome, theres also a public beta/demo out now,which is slightly restricted, but &#163;5 for Audiosurf, thats a definate bargin, gotta pre-order this now.
4 Days to go :D

e: scratch that, its only $8.95 on steam so thats only &#163;4.50ish for me.
e2: i haven't played in a little while, just got the new demo/beta and im as giddy as a horny school-girl on rum.
e3: &#163;5.40 and i've pre-loaded it on my steam so now...i wait 4 days... *carries on playing on the demo*

Terin
February 12th, 2008, 12:50 AM
If we were to buy it later (which I probably will) could I just pop in my copy of the Orange Box soundtrack and play it with that?

n00b1n8R
February 12th, 2008, 01:15 AM
do want :awesome:

odseraphim
February 12th, 2008, 06:24 AM
If we were to buy it later (which I probably will) could I just pop in my copy of the Orange Box soundtrack and play it with that?
Yes, but the game, regardless of whether you pre-order it or not, comes with the Orange Box soundtrack in Steam's compressed format. I already pre-loaded the game, and it even states that it will in it's description.

FireDragon04
February 15th, 2008, 07:59 AM
2pm and still not released, steam usually releases at 12midday eastern so I've got 3 hours yet until it is released, can't wait... :eyesroll: strangely enough....

odseraphim
February 15th, 2008, 02:36 PM
It's Live.

FireDragon04
February 15th, 2008, 02:41 PM
It is indeed, loving it! :iia:

InnerGoat
February 15th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Whats changed since beta2?

Terin
February 16th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Wow, just downloaded the demo overnight at it was awesome. /instabuy

Too bad it still thought it was a demo after I bought it, and now I have to redownload it. But wait! Steam has found something wrong with the game content files and will redownload it from the servers.

Argh. 3 more hours again until I can play it again. Can't wait.

InnerGoat
February 17th, 2008, 08:08 PM
http://www.stage6.com/user/InnerGoat/video/2239908/AudioSurf---MORRIGAN---With-Soloist

I'm not very good at this yet, lol. :embarrassed:

Limited
February 22nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Should I give this a try, does demo let you use your own music (I wanna try dragonforce and some metallica)

jngrow
February 22nd, 2008, 09:16 PM
yeah, one trial song. Once you get it, many of your own songs as you want.

Terin
February 22nd, 2008, 10:02 PM
http://www.stage6.com/user/InnerGoat/video/2239908/AudioSurf---MORRIGAN---With-Soloist

I'm not very good at this yet, lol. :embarrassed:Holy fuck, man, how could you NOT get stealth on that one?! "lol i gotta watch out for the hundreds of gray blocks hurrr" Noob.

:v

What did you use for that? Keyboard? Mouse? Audiosurf aimbot?

yeah, one trial song. Once you get it, many of your own songs as you want.Actually, 4, which is just enough for you to go "Damn it! I wanted to play that one other song I just realized I had. /buy"

n00b1n8R
February 22nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
what class's do you guys play?
in the beta I was a medium mono.

Syuusuke
February 22nd, 2008, 10:30 PM
I loved playing Ninja mono.

Now its Vegas on the medium level...too bad there aren't any on Expert...I don't think they can...or can they.

InnerGoat
February 22nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
Holy fuck, man, how could you NOT get stealth on that one?! "lol i gotta watch out for the hundreds of gray blocks hurrr" Noob.

:v

What did you use for that? Keyboard? Mouse? Audiosurf aimbot?

Actually, 4, which is just enough for you to go "Damn it! I wanted to play that one other song I just realized I had. /buy"mouse