PDA

View Full Version : Skinny Bitch, your thoughts?

Llama Juice
January 25th, 2008, 08:57 AM
It's the title of a diet book that focuses on a vegan lifestyle. (Vegans don't eat any animal products... no cow no chicken no fish, no dairy, no crushed bones (gelatin)... stuff like that)

http://www.skinnybitch.net/video.html

I'm a vegetarian, my best friend is a vegan, and I know a few people that have read this book and they said it was amazing.... I'm probably going to pick it up as soon as finals week is over, and just give it a read through... see how valid the information is. I'm not claiming to be an expert on the subject, but I've done my own fair amount of research on the subject and it'd be interesting to see how it all adds up.

I made that other "What do you do to make this world less suck" thread to just see if people on this forum could handle being mature, and (to my suprise) nobody in the thread has really acted immature in it. I'd really like to see your thoughts on this subject... without the hate.

Kalub
January 25th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Gonna have to say its stupid.

Humans have been surviving on meats, and dairy items for - forever.

LlamaMaster
January 25th, 2008, 09:09 AM
no crushed bones (gelatin)
I thought it was made out of hooves.

Llama Juice
January 25th, 2008, 09:39 AM
and yet humans are the only species that still have dairy as adults...

Also, just because humans have survived on meat forever, doesn't mean that that's the same meat you put into your body.

Think about what places like McDonalds have done to the quality of meat. Since they want (pretty much) the fattest chickens they can get for their nuggets... do you really think that their meat is good for you at all?

Have you heard someone say to you "Well atleast this is better than McDonalds" when referring to the quality of food?

I don't need to go into all the "advantages of modernization" that has depleted the quality of meat into an unhealthy substance, but I think you can see where I'm going with that statement.

(no I wasn't just bashing McDonalds for McShits and McGiggles, I was using them as an example, I'm not claiming that their meat is any less quality than any other fast food place or anything like that... they all equally suck.)

Watch the short video on that link I posted... it's an interesting little clip.

Classicthunder
January 25th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Also, just because humans have survived on meat forever, doesn't mean that that's the same meat you put into your body.

Think about what places like McDonalds have done to the quality of meat. Since they want (pretty much) the fattest chickens they can get for their nuggets... do you really think that their meat is good for you at all?

Have you heard someone say to you "Well atleast this is better than McDonalds" when referring to the quality of food?

I don't need to go into all the "advantages of modernization" that has depleted the quality of meat into an unhealthy substance, but I think you can see where I'm going with that statement.

(no I wasn't just bashing McDonalds for McShits and McGiggles, I was using them as an example, I'm not claiming that their meat is any less quality than any other fast food place or anything like that... they all equally suck.)

I deer hunt and then eat the deer I shoot in the form of a hamburger. Do I get any credit for keeping the deer population down and eating hamburgers the healthy old fashioned way? I have no problem with eating meat, but shit like McDonald's just makes my stomach hurt. Wild deer and turkeys for the win. Wild boar taste awesome too.

Anyways veggies just don't cut it for everything.

JDMFSeanP
January 25th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Save a cow, eat a vegan

DOMINATOR
January 25th, 2008, 01:00 PM
and yet humans are the only species that still have dairy as adults...

Watch the short video on that link I posted... it's an interesting little clip.
so be against eating fast food/garbage instead of cutting meat out entirely. i think it's pretty ignorant to not eat meat but i really don't care considering it's your life. just don't try to convince me to become vegan.

Kalub
January 25th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that meat, is meat. Qualities differ but, in the end its still edible and you can retain some nutrients from it.

To be perfectly healthy, you need a balanced diet of fats, meats, wheats, and veggies. You cant survive off of veggies alone and still retain a human lifestyle.

You still haven't swayed me from my, "its stupid" statement.

Tweek
January 25th, 2008, 01:17 PM
meat is meat, i disapprove of the bad treatment our lovely living meatfactories get, but me not eating meat isn't going to change that fact, so i'm not rly bothered.

Botolf
January 25th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I'm no nutritionist, but I doubt a Vegan diet can provide as many nutrients as a standard "4 food groups" one can.

Kalub
January 25th, 2008, 01:20 PM
TWEEK FETCH ME A PRIME RIB

medium-rare plzkthx

E: found one, it has to be the most beautiful thing I have ever seen

http://yumbrosia.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/grilled%20prime%20rib%20steak.jpg

ExAm
January 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I thought it was made out of hooves.It's actually bones and hides.

Kornman00
January 25th, 2008, 03:59 PM
It's actually bones and hides.
stop that :gonk:

no more telling of the ingredients of foods <:mad:>

Limited
January 25th, 2008, 04:47 PM
There are a few vegetations in my kitchen, bit annoying when they say "omg how could you eat THAT" like its poisoness. I am totally against animal cruelty and like force feeding them to be fatter/tastier etc, but at the end of the day, food is food, we need it too survive. The world is not a cuddly place where everything can get on in harmony, things just have to be done in a certain way.

I especially hate how vegetation foods are more expensive, its lije organic, it sucks.

Eating no meat is sort bad for you too, you need certain types of food in moderation, cutting out all meat or cutting it out and diary doesnt really do you any favours.

Tweek
January 25th, 2008, 05:37 PM
i don't mind eating crushed bones and hides, as long as it tastes ok, and doesn't make me mortally ill :)

DrunkenSamus
January 25th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Meat is a good source of protein, and it is daaaamn good. Although I admit Mcdonalds is complete shit.

Bodzilla
January 25th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Gonna have to say its stupid.

Humans have been surviving on meats, and dairy items for - forever.
^ Listen to this man.

but i'm blessed with some good Genetics, that make it virtually impossible for me to put on weight :P

E:The best page in the universe, Guiltless Grill (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=grill)
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/combine6.gif

I was looking over a menu in a restaurant the other day when I saw a section for vegetarians; I thought to myself "boy, I sure am glad that I'm not a meat-hating fascist" and I skipped on to the steak section (because I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $15 for an alfalfa sandwich, slice of cucumber and a scoop of cold cottage cheese), but before I turned the page something caught my eye. The heading of the vegetarian section was titled "Guiltless Grill," not because there were menu items with fewer calories and cholesterol (since there were "healthy" chicken dishes discriminated against in this section), but because none of the items used animal products. Think about that phrase for a second. What exactly does "guiltless grill" imply? So I'm supposed to feel guilty now if I eat meat? Screw you.
What pisses me off so much about this phrase is the sheer narrow-mindedness of these stuck up vegetarian assholes. You think you're saving the world by eating a tofu-burger and sticking to a diet of grains and berries? Well here's something that not many vegetarians know (or care to acknowledge): every year millions of animals are killed by wheat and soy bean combines during harvesting season (source (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/grill.html#SOURCE)). Oh yeah, go on and on for hours about how all of us meat eaters are going to hell for having a steak, but conveniently ignore the fact that each year millions of mice, rabbits, snakes, skunks, possums, squirrels, gophers and rats are ruthlessly murdered as a direct result of YOUR dieting habits. What's that? I'm sorry, I don't hear any more elitist banter from you pompous cocks. Could it be because your shit has been RUINED?

ExAm
January 25th, 2008, 07:07 PM
There are a few vegetations in my kitchen, bit annoying when they say "omg how could you eat THAT" like its poisoness. I am totally against animal cruelty and like force feeding them to be fatter/tastier etc:v

Emmzee
January 25th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Honestly, vegans/vegetarians disgust me.

Look in your mouth. See those pointed teeth? Those are canines. They are for the rending and tearing of flesh, AKA meat. Humans were made to eat other animals, and not eating animals is like rebelling against your own species.

Con
January 25th, 2008, 08:19 PM
who's to say opinion is wrong? If he wants to hate vegans, too bad.

also, I'll stick with my meat

Boba
January 25th, 2008, 08:31 PM
also, I'll stick with my meat
Yeah, you can't beat meat!

Sever
January 25th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I'll stick with conscar's my meat too.

Emmzee
January 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Yeah, you can't beat meat!
Then what do I do every night while looking at pictures of you?

Boba
January 25th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Then what do I do every night while looking at pictures of you?
masturbating

ExAm
January 25th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Yeah, you can't beat meat!Except with a steak tenderizer :eng101:

Bodzilla
January 25th, 2008, 10:58 PM
n one commented on my Link to the Guiltless grill rant

:smith:

Cortexian
January 26th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Look in your mouth. See those pointed teeth? Those are canines. They are for the rending and tearing of flesh, AKA meat. Humans were made to eat other animals, and not eating animals is like rebelling against your own species.
Pretty much sums up what I was going to say... I just really don't care if you are vegan/vegetarian or not... Same with religion/sexual preference/racism, everyone is entitled to their opinion. The only time I have to disagree, is when people start expressing their opinion through acts of violence. If you resort to violence because of your personal opinion, I wouldn't have a problem picking up a gun and shooting you in the head.

So basically, my opinion, is that people that hate against other peoples opinions violently, can go die.

Yea I know, I'm way to neutral...

p0lar_bear
January 26th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I'm a "live and let live" kind of guy. I don't care about someone's diet unless it directly impacts my lifestyle and/or I'm being harassed because I dare eat a cheeseburger. Especially because some (though not a lot of them) people are on those diets for medical reasons; for example, one of my relatives is physically unable to eat any red meat at all; heart problems iirc.

Who's to say what's good for you anymore? If you eat meat, you run the risk of being diseased if the meat packing companies (or, if you're a hunter, you) were negligent in cleaning and butchering procedures, or if the animal was sick. If you're a vegan, you run the risk of malnutrition if you're doing it wrong.

Llama Juice
January 26th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I purposely left this thread alone for a while to see how it went, and a few things have caught my attention.

Look in your mouth. See those pointed teeth? Those are canines
Article on just that, sure it's on a pro vegetarian website but it's worth the read (http://www.goveg.com/naturalhumandiet.asp)

Guiltless Grill quote

As for that little story...

If you actually consider the amount of grain used to raise and fatten the cows that are tortured and killed (it usually goes on a 10-16 pounds of grain for each pound of editable flesh) I think we can both see who is really at fault for the majority of these grain related harvesting.

I'm not here to "convert" anyone, I simply wanted some opinions on the matter. If someone threw up faulty information I feel inclined to correct them. Which reminds me of the posts about malnutrition and stuff.

If you're going to be a vegetarian, you're going to be paying attention to your diet, you'll know if you aren't getting enough protein or vitamin B12... you should know these things. Everyone should know these things. The only thing is, that most carnivores have this feeling of security in what they are eating, and end up not paying attention to their diet. They think they don't have to.

And if you think you CAN'T be well nutritioned on a vegan/vegetarian diet.. well here's a few people that are vegetarians...

Carl Lewis, “Olympian of the Century,” Olympic medalist in track
Ruth Heidrich, Ironman triathlete, age-group record holder
Martina Navratilova, tennis champion
Desmond Howard, Heisman trophy winner
Stan Price, world-record holder in bench press
Bill Walton, NBA Hall of Famer
Phoebe Mills, Olympic medal-winning gymnast
Billie Jean King, tennis champion
Bill Manetti, powerlifting champion
Bill Pearl, four-time Mr. Universe and bodybuilder
Al Oerter, discus thrower and winner of four Olympic gold medals
Keith Holmes, WBC World Middleweight Champion
Robert Parish, one of the NBA’s “50 Greatest Players”
Jack LaLanne, fitness legend and media star
Edwin Moses, two-time Olympic Gold medalist in hurdles

Bodzilla
January 26th, 2008, 10:04 PM
If you actually consider the amount of grain used to raise and fatten the cows that are tortured and killed (it usually goes on a 10-16 pounds of grain for each pound of editable flesh) I think we can both see who is really at fault for the majority of these grain related harvesting.

But you see the thing is, i Dont parade my beliefs in front of people and call everyone else Murderers for their Dieting habits.
It's extremely hypocritical for them to complain about me eating a cow when the harvesting of grain kills so many animals. Especially if theres a no-kill option. Pick the grain by hand.
But hey the convenience of Machines Far out ways the Millions of animals being slaughtered right?
Right?! :downs:

Peta are Vegans and Vegetarians of convenience and for them to Parade them selfs as other wise it not only arrogant, its stupid.

Sever
January 26th, 2008, 10:13 PM
As long as humans exist in our current state of industrialization/production/consumption, we will be a burden to the planet. Accept it. It doesn't matter if you're a carnivore/herbivore/omnivore. You are currently using a computer that is running on electricity generated by burning oil and built with materials torn from the earth. Shut up about what you eat, turn off the computer and plant a tree if you give a damn about the environment.

Roostervier
January 26th, 2008, 10:14 PM
No one said humans were carnivores, we are omnivores. <_<

Also, if we had to resort to eating meat to survive just recently, I'd have to say that we are meant to eat meat then. Is eating not simply a way to survive?

Unlike natural carnivores, we are physically and psychologically unable to rip animals limb from limb and eat and digest their raw flesh.First of all, even if we can't digest raw meat, we are smart enough to make fires so that we may eat cooked meat. Just because we are smart enough not to kill ourselves when we do it does not mean that we aren't meant to eat meat. And secondly, I'm pretty sure we could rip an animal limb from limb. Even without using man made tools it would be quite possible. And why does everyone take how intelligent human beings are out of our arsenal? Every animal has something unique to their species that helps them survive, ours being intelligence.

The article also failed to address what Emmzee made a great point of; if we are not meant to eat meat, why do we have any sharp teeth in our mouthes at all? I don't know about you, but i can chew an apple with any of my flat teeth, and nothing else would really require use of sharp teeth, vegetarian wise. The only answer would be that we were designed, or maybe we even evolved (in that "short amount of time" we started beginning to eat meat), so that we may eat and survive off of meat.

If they don't want to eat meat or any other animal by-products, then fine. But do not try to fucking convince me that I should not eat meat because I was "not designed to do so."

e: Shit, I can't rep Bod. D::::::::::::::

Bodzilla
January 26th, 2008, 10:15 PM
As long as humans exist in our current state of industrialization/production/consumption, we will be a burden to the planet. Accept it. It doesn't matter if you're a carnivore/herbivore/omnivore. You are currently using a computer that is running on electricity generated by burning oil and built with materials torn from the earth. Shut up about what you eat, turn off the computer and plant a tree if you give a damn about the environment.
thats the smartest thing i've heard all day.

Theres only one choice.
http://66.81.80.139/Spynet4344c186453fc.jpg

Phopojijo
January 27th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Actually... humans were made to eat fruit, nuts, and berries.

That being said... we were also made to be
1) naked
2) bisexual
3) nomadic
4) violent
5) irrational
6) dead by 17 years old
7) throwing stones at our shadows

Etc etc etc -- I'd make a better list but I frankly am too apathetic.

Llama Juice
January 27th, 2008, 12:12 AM
WORDS

But you see the thing is, You have been parading your beliefs in front of people and calling vegetarians stupid for doing what they do. Irony mb?

At any rate all I wanted was some opinions on the matter, and to see what random people thought of the situation mission accomplished I suppose.

n00b1n8R
January 27th, 2008, 02:50 AM
I like meat. does that mean I along with every other carnivorous animal are bad?

Bodzilla
January 27th, 2008, 06:47 AM
But you see the thing is, You have been parading your beliefs in front of people and calling vegetarians stupid for doing what they do. Irony mb?
I dont fucking picket Restaurants tho do i.

Massive difference between airing your own beliefs and trying to force them on others.

Llama Juice
January 27th, 2008, 07:30 AM
No, and neither do I why would you make such a crazy assumption? That's like yelling at anyone who's Christian for picketing Heath Ledger's funeral...

I was talking about this thread alone. I don't see any logic in trying to group me with over active activists.

Try to think about something with an open mind though, it's obvious that your stuck on some false stereotypes.

ImSpartacus
January 27th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Who's to say what's good for you anymore? If you eat meat, you run the risk of being diseased if the meat packing companies (or, if you're a hunter, you) were negligent in cleaning and butchering procedures, or if the animal was sick. If you're a vegan, you run the risk of malnutrition if you're doing it wrong.

While usually it's ok to go against the grain, this is an instance when its a little harder.

How long have humans been eating meat (in general)? A while, and they have gotten good at it. Idk about the rest of the world, but the US has plenty of regulations about meat processing. Mistakes happen, but its an acceptable system.

Veganism on the other hand is extremely difficult to pull off healthily. There's no gov't regulations aiding you on balancing your diet. It's not easy to create a diet where the dieter gets all their twenty-odd types of amino acids for their body to make the necessary proteins. Most people get all those proteins and amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) from meat, but it is possible to pull it off without meat. I guarantee you, you won't get to eat 3 salads every day, it'll be more along the lines of beans, legumes, and more beans.

I haven't seen too many of those liberal Californian vegans advertising how fun or cool it is to eat a plate of beans one a day, but then again I'm just misinformed, eh?

BTW-Polar bear, not digging on u and your neutral position, just getting a point out there.

Choking Victim
January 27th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I'm also disgusted with the conditions animals in slaughter houses are forced to live in. But I still eat meat, I for one just don't see the point in becoming a vegetarian/vegan if the number of animals being slaughtered each day doesn't decrease in the slightest. I always hear people say "recycle that paper, it saves the trees" that's a false statement, it's not like paper mills get a daily estimate on whose recycling and then don't cut down more trees than necessary for that amount of people, they cut down thousands of trees daily reguardless. Just remember there's more people against you than there are for you, something as numerous as slaughter houses isn't going to change anytime soon. And it especially won't change due to a few people who refuse to eat meat. But, do what you want...

ImSpartacus
January 27th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I'm also disgusted with the conditions animals in slaughter houses are forced to live in. But I still eat meat, I for one just don't see the point in becoming a vegetarian/vegan if the number of animals being slaughtered each day doesn't decrease in the slightest. I always hear people say "recycle that paper, it saves the trees" that's a false statement, it's not like paper mills get a daily estimate on whose recycling and then don't cut down more trees than necessary for that amount of people, they cut down thousands of trees daily reguardless. Just remember there's more people against you than there are for you, something as numerous as slaughter houses isn't going to change anytime soon. And it especially won't change due to a few people who refuse to eat meat. But, do what you want...

well most paper mills have their own tree farms so their effect on 'natural' trees is usually minimal.

then again, so do slaughter house animals...so whats the difference? lol.

p0lar_bear
January 27th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Vegetarians/Vegans have always argued that eating meat is wrong because we're "torturing and killing" countless helpless animals. I've seen videos of slaughterhouses in high school, and while I'll admit that it is alarming how it is, the matter of fact is that taking lives of other animals is a fact of life. It always has been, and it always will be, and that goes for any organism on this planet. Slaughterhouses only get critical attention because of the sheer number of animals harvested.

Now, whenever a zealot comes around on this subject, I like to turn it around and ask them why they have to result in the deaths of countless helpless plants, and point out that whenever they eat fruit/nuts/berries, they're eating plant gonads. >:D

Emmzee
January 27th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Vegetarians/Vegans have always argued that eating meat is wrong because we're "torturing and killing" countless helpless animals. I've seen videos of slaughterhouses in high school, and while I'll admit that it is alarming how it is, the matter of fact is that taking lives of other animals is a fact of life. It always has been, and it always will be, and that goes for any organism on this planet. Slaughterhouses only get critical attention because of the sheer number of animals harvested.
^

Also, have you ever seen wolves chase and kill a deer? It's way more brutal than any slaughterhouse, and yet vegans/vegetarians don't seem to get all on their high horse about that.

Apoc4lypse
January 27th, 2008, 01:16 PM

probably the best post I've seen you make lol.

That gave me an idea, there should be an international plant a tree day :D

But yeah as for the subject of vegetarians/vegans and all that... I don't care if your a vegetarian or a vegan as long as you don't harp on me for eating w/e I want, because thats pretty much how I eat, although I try to control my daily fat intake cuz I don't have the worlds fastest metabolism. (no I'm not fat) The reason I said that is because I have a friend whos one of the lucky ones. he eats crap and junk food all day constantly and he never gains any weight at all, hes actually trying to gain weight, and can't do it :lol:.

Like I said though eat how you want I don't care just don't shove stuff in my face and insist in me eating it or tell me how to eat. My food is my own business, and maybe my doctors... lol

I will admit I did laugh about the "guiltless grill" statement, because its true that no one who lives in this day and age that relies on anything manufactured can make the claim to being guiltless at all. Unless they go out into the wild and start living off the land and growing/hunting there own food.

Emmzee
January 27th, 2008, 01:52 PM
That gave me an idea, there should be an international plant a tree day :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbor_Day

HOLY SHIT

You fail.

Llama Juice
January 27th, 2008, 02:18 PM
WORDS

The main problem we have with animals at the slaughter house is that they are born for the soul reason to die serve humans. In a over exadurated way it's almost like how we treated slaves way back when.

Also, every time you buy 1 pound of meat, it's like buying all of the water they used to grow the plants they fed the cow during the cow's life (not that I care about plant's "lives", I'm just stating a fact). The whole process is so wasteful.

I just don't like the whole trapping a species into a corner for another species benefit thing... seems a little immoral. Imagine if cows could talk to each other... they'd all go emo. They pop out and their mom is just like "Sorry dude, I didn't want to have a kid, the farmer man made me... oh and you're going to die in two years."

What I find most ironic is how the main feeling in this thread is "I hate when people tell me what to eat and you're stupid for not eating like I do meat"

Emmzee
January 27th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Spare me your bullshit.

The main problem we have with animals at the slaughter house is that they are born for the soul reason to die serve humans. In a over exadurated way it's almost like how we treated slaves way back when.
That's a perfectly good analogy.

Except slaves were not meant to be eaten. Also, comparing anything to slavery is like comparing anything to the Holocaust.

Also, every time you buy 1 pound of meat, it's like buying all of the water they used to grow the plants they fed the cow during the cow's life (not that I care about plant's "lives", I'm just stating a fact). The whole process is so wasteful.

Every time you buy 1 pound of, say, lettuce, it's like buying all of the water they used to grow the plants. And let's not forget the land that was most likely a rich ecosystem (be it prairie, woodlands, etc.) that was razed to grow said plants. Either way, the environment loses, but at least with meat it tastes good.

I just don't like the whole trapping a species into a corner for another species benefit thing... seems a little immoral. Imagine if cows could talk to each other... they'd all go emo. They pop out and their mom is just like "Sorry dude, I didn't want to have a kid, the farmer man made me... oh and you're going to die in two years."
It's only immoral if they can't fight back, and I'm pretty sure you've heard of Mad Cow disease.

Sever
January 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Also, comparing anything to slavery is like comparing anything to the Holocaust.

On an extremely sarcastic and inappropriate note, does that mean that I can compare slavery to the Holocaust?

Emmzee
January 27th, 2008, 02:38 PM
On an extremely sarcastic and inappropriate note, does that mean that I can compare slavery to the Holocaust?
You could, but all the black Jews would come to your house and lynch you if you did.

Sever
January 27th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Shit, didn't think of that. Also, they'd lynch you while also gassing you.

Roostervier
January 27th, 2008, 03:52 PM

What I find most ironic is how the main feeling in this thread is "I hate when people tell me what to eat and you're stupid for not eating like I do meat"Even if they were born for the sole purpose of being eaten by us, if we didn't have them born for that reason, we'd just go kill another animal anyway. Anyway you look at it, it's like Emmzee said, ever seen a wolf chase down a deer? Animals die at the expense of other animals' survivals. It's called the food chain.

Also, what I've hear most of the thread is, "I hate when people tell me what to eat." The only reason any body is saying anyone is stupid for not eating meat is because they were provoked to do so by you or someone else that doesn't eat meat themselves. You honestly can't expect to try and prove your points without the other side trying to prove theirs. The only reason the thread has that feeling, tbqh, is because most of the people posting are the ones who eat meat anyway.

Also, over exaggerated is redundant. =p

Llama Juice
January 27th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Every time you buy 1 pound of, say, lettuce, it's like buying all of the water they used to grow the plants. And let's not forget the land that was most likely a rich ecosystem (be it prairie, woodlands, etc.) that was razed to grow said plants. Either way, the environment loses, but at least with meat it tastes good.

Yea, 1 pound of lettuce lets say takes 100 gallons to make (considering 1 pound of potatoes takes 60-70 gallons of water I figure 100 gallons is a close enough asumption)

sure, that's a lot of water used... for 1 pound of food... whereas if you consider the waste gone into the raising of animals to kill?

if you want 1 pound of beef... they have to feed those cows for at least 2 years before they kill them. Then you factor in all of the resources for those crops that are being fed to the cattle and the number usually comes out to around 2,500 gallons per pound.

If you can honestly think that the whole process isn't wasteful and silly then you're just disillusional .

I'm a vegetarian because I hate the idea of raising a creature with the intention to kill it for your personal benefit. I'm a vegetarian for the health benefits of not putting that crap in my body. I'm a vegetarian because I like the idea of a little action every day can help a larger cause. I have no reason to kill anything to feed me. I don't see why I should do it.

EDIT

Also, what I've hear most of the thread is, "I hate when people tell me what to eat." The only reason any body is saying anyone is stupid for not eating meat is because they were provoked to do so by you or someone else that doesn't eat meat themselves. You honestly can't expect to try and prove your points without the other side trying to prove theirs. The only reason the thread has that feeling, tbqh, is because most of the people posting are the ones who eat meat anyway.

The reason why the thread has been like that is because a lot of people have some sort of hate against vegetarians people who are different because they don't understand the reasoning behind their actions. They then lash out and call them idiots and the like because they don't understand.

Or at least that's how I see it. But that's probably just because of my point of view. I don't think you guys are idiots or whatnot for eating meat, I haven't tried to "convert" anybody, and that wasn't my intentions on this. Like I said earlier I wanted to see other people's opinions on the subject, and if they would look at something strange open minded.

thehoodedsmack
January 27th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Just be thankful that science is getting us closer to the day where we can produce dumber-than-plants meat producers. Animals without any sentience or feelings, that we can feed protein to through a hose, and kill without any remorse.

Llama Juice
January 27th, 2008, 04:08 PM
read it. http://www.britishmeat.com/slaught.html

ImSpartacus
January 27th, 2008, 06:11 PM

He's right though. every time the food chain (or food web as u youngsters call it) goes up a tier the amount of energy moving is tenthed (only 10% passes on, 90% is lost).

This is a attributed to all the feces and heat they give off among other things.

so it actually is more wasteful to eat a cow that has eaten 2000 heads of lettuce in its lifetime (estimate), rather than eat the 2000 heads of lettuce.

so if you really cared about all the starving children in africa, then we would all be vegans and have enough extra food to feed them. [However in my opinion, I say we let them starve, rather than let them reproduce further, but that's off topic].

But the west's population is beginning to peak (i forget the charts that tell u the max population of a habitat, but the us, and most euro countries are there, but mexico and others aren't). And since I haven't been starving lately, I think this country is fine with its wastefulness.

Bodzilla
January 27th, 2008, 06:52 PM
If you actually consider the amount of grain used to raise and fatten the cows that are tortured and killed
thats exactly why i grouped you with those people.

there isnt any Torture. They dont put cows on a rack and stretch them out lawl.

Emmzee
January 27th, 2008, 06:56 PM
read it. http://www.britishmeat.com/slaught.html
I've read that, and The Jungle. I've also watched movies on how sausage is made.

Yet I still eat meat.

Bitch.

ImSpartacus
January 27th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I've read that, and The Jungle. I've also watched movies on how sausage is made.

Yet I still eat meat.

Bitch.

I tried to read the jungle, but it was too slow in the beginning for me.

I agree, though I don't think animals are horribly tortured anymore. There will always be exceptions, and there was a time when there were more exceptions then there are now, but I'm sure it's safer now.

Considering how much processed meat humans in general eat, and how many slaughter houses there would have to be, I would need a much bigger more recent laundry list of problems to really be convinced.

Bodzilla
January 27th, 2008, 07:18 PM
My farther, and brother used to work at the Meat works in our town. In our town becuase it's so small we dont really have any Other major idustrys so alot of people end up working there.

i know all about the storys of what happens but it's all between co workers jsut mucking around.
The animals are not tortured, or harassed or what ever. there simply and Quickly killed, causing as little pain as possible.

And for certain religious groups they even par take in ceremony's thanking the animals for there sacrifice before they killed them. ( i'm not sure of exactly what religious or ethnic group it is).
It's humane to say the least.