PDA

View Full Version : L... O... L... Annnd the Physics race gets shorter

Phopojijo
February 4th, 2008, 10:16 PM
http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1202161567170.html

I wonder if this means that Havok's nVidia partnership is up? Or has it just got a whole lot more complicated?

nVidia's on a buying spree... first MentalRay's owner now PhysX...

Nervous about AMD?

Kornman00
February 5th, 2008, 01:16 AM
I'm not sure I like the sound of this for some reason (being a user of physx), will definitely (http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/) need to keep a close eye on this

thanks

Tweek
February 5th, 2008, 03:10 AM
fuck yeah, Nvidia.

my guess was havok having no hardware counterpart or something, and ageia having theyr physx cards. i could be wrong though, but thats what i came up with in 2 seconds.

Kornman00
February 5th, 2008, 05:34 AM
well Havok was suppose to be developing software to interface with the GPUs to run the physics instead of all on the CPU (and to reduce the amount of dedicated hardware the EU had to invest in). While I think one product of theirs supports using the GPU for certain fluid calculations, I don't think they ever finished what they set out to start (or at least in the time frame nVidia wanted)

jahrain
February 5th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Lol, I seen this happening long ago. I questioned why it didn't happen sooner.

CrAsHOvErRide
February 5th, 2008, 02:29 PM
well Havok was suppose to be developing software to interface with the GPUs to run the physics instead of all on the CPU (and to reduce the amount of dedicated hardware the EU had to invest in). While I think one product of theirs supports using the GPU for certain fluid calculations, I don't think they ever finished what they set out to start (or at least in the time frame nVidia wanted)
IJ0HNHO5Uik

Saw the demonstration (I don't know how old it is, 1/2 year?) a few days ago. If fluid calculations fall under this category, then yes, it's running fully on the GPU.

Tweek
February 5th, 2008, 03:12 PM
yeah, that falls under fluids

Kornman00
February 5th, 2008, 05:25 PM
fluids\particles

and lawls, reminds me of the mask

legionaire45
February 5th, 2008, 09:17 PM
IIRC Havok was purchased by Intel. Considering Intel has been working on their own GPU/RTR hardware (forgot which) I don't think that they would have been willing to license the tech out to their (future) competitors. Hence why GPU accelerated Havok died even though they have had the hardware and software working forever.

I certainly hope that Nvidia writes PhysX acceleration into their drivers considering the 8 series is easily capable of it. One of the "big" extras of the 8 series card was going to be the Quantum Effects thing and it would be great if Nvidia actually delivered hardware physics in a usable form.

Jay2645
February 5th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Damn it, I have an ATI Radeon.

Phopojijo
February 14th, 2008, 11:28 PM
http://www.techpowerup.com/52561/All_GeForce_8_Cards_to_Gain_PhysX_Engine_Support_S ays_NVIDIA.html?52561

Looks like all CUDA-enabled graphics cards can run Novodex soon.

In other words?

GeForce8+ = PhysX.