PDA

View Full Version : AMD dying?

ExAm
February 26th, 2008, 11:57 PM
So my friend told me about this the other day, and it was the first I'd heard of it. Google agrees. This is sad :(

Thoughts? Predictions? This isn't good for Intel owners either. Hel-lo, price hike!

Zeph
February 27th, 2008, 12:23 AM
AMD is very strong in the midrange and from what I can tell, their GPUs are catching back up. With Intel having a ton of money to dump into production, they'll hold the high-end for quite some time.

Con
February 27th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Isn't ford supposed to be dying too? /effort to look it up

AAA
February 27th, 2008, 12:24 AM
...No source of proof?

I have an AMD...=(

theEND
February 27th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Well, I remember hearing a couple of months ago that AMD's value in cash was at a record low, something like 11 million dollars. I myself am an Intel dude, but I appreciate AMD's competion, since it give Intel a good reason to make their products high quality and decently priced. But would AMD be making money off the Wii and 360? Since they own ATi and ATi designed the chipset for the two consoles, I would assume (and hope) they can use this to pull through.

Jay2645
February 27th, 2008, 12:58 AM
If AMD dies, would they still offer Tech Support for ATI products?

I hope so, because if anything happens to my Radeon, I would probably need their help.

Bodzilla
February 27th, 2008, 03:10 AM
dam nvidia fanboys. look what you've done! you've weakened the opposition :U

Pyong Kawaguchi
February 27th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I am wierd in this case i guess, I like Nvidia Cards yet amd proscessors
and dell no longer allows AMD proscessors in their pc's :(

Sel
February 27th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I get a feeling the intel is bribing some manufacturers to use their processors, and have no AMD options.

I love AMD :o

OmegaDragon
February 27th, 2008, 08:49 AM
...No source of proof?

I have an AMD...=(

Here is your sauce (http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/08/02/25/0234254.shtml)

Its a damn shame it's dying.

Jelly
February 27th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I thought it was common for AMD and Intel to swap between the top spot.

StankBacon
February 27th, 2008, 11:51 AM
AMD will never "die".

Zeph
February 27th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I thought it was common for AMD and Intel to swap between the top spot.
It was common, however AMD bought ATI just after they dropped out of the lead and that void left from the purchase is proving hard to fill back up.

Here is your sauce (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2003/02/17/337290/index.htm)

Its a damn shame it's dying.

O_o
Itanium 2? You realize that was back in 2002/2003 right?

343guiltymc
February 27th, 2008, 03:02 PM
If it dies, the PC gaming market is doomed. Intel will jack up their CPU's to outrageous prices and so will Nvidia.

Zeph
February 27th, 2008, 04:10 PM
If it dies, the PC gaming market is doomed. Intel will jack up their CPU's to outrageous prices and so will Nvidia.
They wont jack up their prices, they'll simple put out less impressive stuff for the same price. Once every while they'll release something substantial to help make older stuff obsolete and force you to buy newer stuff. If Intel could, they'd still be selling old Pentium 4s on a smaller process scale.

Warsaw
February 27th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Intel could also be broken up by court order into two companies, one retaining the name Intel and its trademarks, and the other being renamed.

Snowy
February 27th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Ha, this thread is funny. AMD isn't going anywhere any time soon, that's a fact. They'll ride the low-mid range segment just like they did before they got competitive. They may not make as much as their rival, but they're still hitting OEM deals.

Warsaw
February 27th, 2008, 05:24 PM
True.

I myself would consider an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ over an Intel Core 2 Duo, just because of price.

TPE
February 27th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I thought monopoly's were illegal?

legionaire45
February 27th, 2008, 09:25 PM
AMD will never truly die. AMD will be better off once they release 45nm Phenoms that clock in the 3.0 GHz range and higher. In the long run AMD needs to up it's development skills, because every proc they have developed in house (K5 and Phenom) have all sucked. If anything, before AMD dies they will be bought out by IBM or someone.

ExAm
February 27th, 2008, 09:47 PM
They are, in the US (DeBeers isn't allowed to operate directly here). Hence Warsaw's post. It's the same thing they did to AT&T when it got too big. Nowadays AT&T is kind of reforming like the T1000 after being soaked in liquid nitrogen Not good.

alby
February 27th, 2008, 10:27 PM
What monopoly? Intel vs Nvidia vs AMD/ATI(with help from IBM). If one leaves there will still be two left.

TPE
February 27th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I'm talking about Intel vs AMD

GPU's=/=CPU's

Phopojijo
February 28th, 2008, 12:32 AM
You know AMD's marketshare actually ROSE SUBSTANTIALLY since ~2004 right? Like -- 15%. (2-17% or something)

Intel was paying off venders to not sell AMD. AMD sued -- gained a bunch of marketshare -- Intel got scared -- took their Yonah laptop line -- made Conroe about a year or so later.

Intel's back on top because of all the money they gained in the side-room deals. AMD isn't dead yet though. Not going to be dead for a fairly long while.

alby
February 28th, 2008, 12:42 AM
I'm talking about Intel vs AMD

GPU's=/=CPU's

I was talking about CPUs also. Nvidia now makes GPGPUs(General Purpose Graphics Processing Unit) which rival the CPU in Rendering, which is a big part of the market.

AMD isn't dead yet though. Not going to be dead for a fairly long while.

That's for sure.

Phopojijo
February 28th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I was talking about CPUs also. Nvidia now makes GPGPUs(General Purpose Graphics Processing Unit) which rival the CPU in Rendering, which is a big part of the market.Not just that -- but also for scientific research.

It's a bit of a racket going on in Universities... I once found a 30,000$ Intel Xeon processor.

30,000$... single core.

I looked up it's model number -- it's MSRP was ~1100$. At least from NewEgg I believe... I don't remember exactly where -- it *was* 2 years ago.

The catch? IT-Services only fixes computers they made.

Congratulations on your 29,000$ service plan guys! :)

So you can see why a lot of researchers took the time to learn HLSL, CUDA, or whatever method they used -- to use the videocard instead of those processors.

And people wonder why Research Grants don't go long ways.

n00b1n8R
February 28th, 2008, 05:31 AM
i'm curious as to what's supposed to happen if all opposition dies and only one is left.
does that one then have to close or split or what?
<__<

OmegaDragon
February 28th, 2008, 11:30 AM
O_o
Itanium 2? You realize that was back in 2002/2003 right?

Holy shit i need to get my eyes fixed @_@

It was one of the links in this post: http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/08/02/25/0234254.shtml

But it is technically related...