PDA

View Full Version : Is It Possible To Make The Hog Slide On Ice?

xBigDaddyx117
March 11th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Hello, I'm new to this site, Im from www.Halomaps.org (http://www.Halomaps.org) well,

I'm trying really hard to make the warthog slide on ice like halos sidewinder, i wanted to put the sliding ice in my h2v sidewinder, but i havent been able to find out how,
I've found this new tag>
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/596/isitpossiblebs7.jpg
and i think this is the key to the sliding ice in h2v, If someone knows how to do this, your are my hero.

Warningshot3
March 12th, 2008, 07:33 AM
i thought the globals.globals controlled a materials friction. i could be wrong.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/1815/materialsgn0.jpg

EDIT: yeah im wrong, nothing i do with the globals changes the friction of the hog on ice in sapien. dont know about getting a custom globals tag into a new map though.

xBigDaddyx117
March 14th, 2008, 02:25 AM
wait, have you tested this or just looked at it?

Warningshot3
March 14th, 2008, 04:02 AM
tested and failed. i dont know what the hell is going on with the engine, all i know is the globals tag doesnt seem to control friction, or maybe i just suck.

Vicky
March 14th, 2008, 05:01 AM
I fooled around with it too, must be another tag.

Pyong Kawaguchi
March 14th, 2008, 07:45 AM
from what i remember from h2x, the friction settings are really weird

Warningshot3
March 14th, 2008, 07:31 PM
looks like its the vehicle tag that controlls the friction of the tires on a material.
under physics and or friction points in the warthogs .vehicle tag.
i should also note that any changes done there will not work in game, the game gets the warthog and most other stuff from other maps so your map isnt like 40mb.

xBigDaddyx117
March 14th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Ijust uploaded something that is interesting, This was me back on the xbox a long time ago, I did this by modiflying the vehicle tag.

What im thinking is we would need to make this "adjustment" after that map is compiled and packaged, just like a mod. is there a h2v modding program in progress?
Y not just modify the DotHalo for xbox to work with vista.

My youtube name is xXBigDaddyXx18 but once its done getting prosessed ill put the link here

Warningshot3
March 14th, 2008, 11:20 PM
i think there is one coming out soon called gravemind by grimdoomer? or something like that. this should allow you to change the warthog vehicle tag after compiling.

edit: well after some crazy hex editing im so close to getting the wh to slide more. note that ground shader is set to ice, im to lazy to make it look like ice.
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9118/whwithtankweaponkz0.jpg
also its on xp in sp, got some problems with vista not loading my maps that have the warthog.vehicle tag in it.

johnnyblaz20
March 15th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Well if you get the slide going please let everyone know. I've messed with this problem till my head split. I've been trying to do it off and on for about 4 months.

Warningshot3
March 15th, 2008, 11:51 AM
yeah i got it to slide but there is one problem. No matter the surface type it just slides the same. The map still wont load in mp though.

here is how I got custom vehicle tag into my map

1st i deleted the reference to the warhog.vehicle in the shared.map in the halo map editor map folder, this makes h2tool put the vehicle tag into the level.
But there was one problem, h2v wont load mp maps that have vehicle tags in them :(idk why. luckly i got scripting to work so i made a singleplayer map and h2v loaded my map with the vehicle tag in it, i made my custom sniper rifle spawn the hog, netgame equip dont work on sp. oh and to get sp menus i just hex edited one byte to make the game load sp menus.

things I changed in the vehicle tag.

Under physics
Ground friction left it at 0.85
Ground moving friction changed to 0.0014

Under friction points
Note: there are 4 tires

Moving friction velocity diff. Back 2 must be a lot lower, I think its 4:1 ratio.
Front 2 changed to 0.007
Back 2 changed to 0.00175

and the e-brake stuff needs changing.

Other stuff like speed acceleration and deceleration may need changing.

It will take a lot more tweeking to perfect it, chances are bungie could change the settings in real time while driving the hog, I have to compile and go into halo just to test a single change, hmm this reminds me of real time halo for entity.

Once again you can thank kornman00 for the unlocked tools which allowed me to get this far.

xBigDaddyx117
March 15th, 2008, 03:29 PM
This is what Im talking about I did In H2x.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MiNUfwBfK80

johnnyblaz20
March 15th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I have not messed with hexing atall to fix this "ICE" problem but i have messed with all of those settings you mentioned. It did not help me atall. I'm gonna try a few things that just popped into my head. I do know if you got the hog to slide but it does not work in MP it is useless to most people but its deffinetly a good think because its one step closer to this small goal.

Warningshot3
March 15th, 2008, 06:31 PM
sweet warthog. the only way to get the hog to slide in mp would be to mod shared.map but this will change the hog for all levels. unless you can somehow inject a new warthog version (like warthog_ice.vehicle) into the shared map, so when compiling it will not have to put ice hog into the mp level and in game it can just load the ice hog from the shared.

Con
March 15th, 2008, 06:55 PM
yeah, i tried putting a slidy hog in my map and it wouldn't show up on the ingame list. It was just a new .vehicle tag

johnnyblaz20
March 15th, 2008, 08:54 PM
c'mon somebody needs to figure it out.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/3280/iceru5.jpg

Dosn't this look like its begging to be slick?

cheezdue
March 15th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Yeah H2 guerilla and sapien is really annoying. that ice really wants to be slick:)

Con
March 15th, 2008, 11:49 PM
replace them with ponds or something, it'd rather play a revamped and nicely done newer sidewinder than a simple port with ice that isn't slippery.

Warningshot3
March 16th, 2008, 12:19 AM
yea but even water in h2v kinda sucks. well shallow water is ok if you make the ground under the water have a liquid material, then when you shoot the water it will spawn a water effect, cheap but effective.

johnnyblaz20
March 16th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Corscars, i was thinking the same exact thing you mentioned about making my sidewinder port a spring type setting after i could not make the ice skick. its as simple as changing some materials. i'm on it.

Con
March 16th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Mb put a waterfall where the middle turret is or something, have a pathway behind it to some heavy weapon.

johnnyblaz20
March 16th, 2008, 12:50 PM
With the water draining into the pool right there, nice. Should i make the pools shallow or kinda deep? maybe the 2 outside ones by the bases deeper and the rest door height of the hogs? And i was thinking maybe some snow but mostly melted. Very muddy. Or middle of the summer maybe. Opinions would be nice.

Con
March 16th, 2008, 02:28 PM
It might work well if you had the base teleporters bring you to one single cliff ledge rather than the two that exist in sidewinder. Include some interesting terrain on it with some hills and cover and you'll have to fight your way to the other teleporter into their base. Have this section at the middle with a portion under the waterfall, with 1 rocket launcher. You could also replace the middle of the map (what was originally the tunnels and stuff) with a hilly area that people can fight on, but vehicles cannot pass. This would make a really neat revamping.

johnnyblaz20
March 16th, 2008, 03:00 PM
So you think it would be cool to totally cut out the middle tunnels? With a kinda hard to climb hill? Hmmm. I think it needs something but the middle tunnels are part of the ambiance of sidewinder. Maybe i could do it to an extent. It deffinetly needs some bsp work but i still want it to be Sidewinder.

Con
March 16th, 2008, 07:16 PM
The tunnels should be kept for close quarters fun. Make the middle more like a hill than some canyon walls, yet deter vehicles from getting over it. You can do this with scenery (rocks and trees) that makes its undesirable to drive through. Try to force the vehicles along a longer route.

Warningshot3
March 16th, 2008, 07:58 PM
hey guys did anyone ever find out how to make water splash but also have no collision?
cuz i might have found out how bungie did it.

johnnyblaz20
March 16th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Just add the water template to the material below the water. I get my water to splash sometimes but i don't know how. Its just a fluke. But the way i explained works good.

Warningshot3
March 17th, 2008, 01:25 AM
yeah thats one way but what im trying to do is get a non player collidable geometry to spawn the water effect when a projectile passes through it, look at the water in relic for an example or uplift.
i think it could be a decal offset or geometry under the water definition in the bsp tag.

this sucks, 1st the warthog wont support multi material frictions and 2nd Hired gun or whoever made the editor kit took most of the tags out.

Kornman00
March 17th, 2008, 06:36 AM
2nd Hired gun or whoever made the editor kit took most of the tags out.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Therefore, don't blame the gun. Blame the persons who hired it. They're the operators. (it's Hired Gun btw)