PDA

View Full Version : Semi-transparent HUD section

paintballakid5
March 14th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Hey there!

i am asking this question for gordigo(he didn't want to translate it to english:rolleyes:)

so heres the question, how to make semi-transparant sections of a HUD.

i probably will have no idea what you answer, but thats ok, Gordigo will:)

thanks guys!

Gamerkd16
March 14th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Wouldn't a private message be better?

SnaFuBAR
March 14th, 2008, 07:29 PM
no. he's posting the question for gordigo, because gordigo isn't translating to english himself.

Gamerkd16
March 14th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Oh, ok. I see. Sorry.

gordigo
March 14th, 2008, 09:18 PM
(Off topic sorry he's posting my question becasuse i don't have a good english level) My question is How to make the Semi-transparent hud section ,of the halo 3 hud

Gamerkd16
March 14th, 2008, 09:20 PM
(Off topic sorry he's posting my question becasuse i don't have a good english level) My question is How to make the Semi-transparent hud section ,of the halo 3 hud
You're English seems fine to me. At least people can understand you. There are people on here occasionally who don't speak English at all.

Masterz1337
March 14th, 2008, 10:13 PM
It has to do with shades of grey in your HUD. Black is transparent, white is opaque (SP?)

Use greys to make something translucent.

p0lar_bear
March 17th, 2008, 01:42 AM
For HUD overlays, such as meter backgrounds and the visor shape (for the H3 HUD), it draws from the main bitmap for its shading, the alpha channel of the bitmap for its opacity, and then it's tinted by values defined in the unhi (unit_hud_interface) tag.

Draw out the shape of the overlay first; make sure your bitmap's pixel sizes are powers of two! For the main bitmap, white areas will be tinted the same color as whatever you define later in the unhi tag, and grey areas will be shaded a darker shade of the color.

Now (if you're in photoshop), switch to the Channel Viewer and add a new channel; name it Alpha. Here's where you paint the transparency of the HUD. As Masterz says, white is completely opaque, black is completely transparent, and levels of grey are semi-transparent.

When done, save the bitmap as a TIF and compile in Tool.

gordigo
March 18th, 2008, 02:47 PM
mmm the other question is how to put the visor shape in-game ?

Hunter
March 19th, 2008, 03:06 PM
It is in the globals.globals tag.

Look for a section called "INTERFACE BITMAPS"

It should all be there. (Backup your original globals!)

gordigo
March 19th, 2008, 03:10 PM
ummm maybe but I beleive(I) it need to be on the .unit_hud_interface, but I dont know where

Hunter
March 19th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I'm sure everything is linked to the globals in some way, so if you cant find it in the tag folder then look in the globals.

gordigo
March 20th, 2008, 01:10 PM
yeah you are correct everything is linked to the globals(I beleive) but that is a HUD overlays and need to be on the HUD definition but I dont know how to put it,

p0lar_bear
March 20th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Oh, huh, I thought I posted this, guess not.

The HUD Interface Bitmaps block in the globals is obsolete; I've never seen the bitmaps it uses in-game.

gordigo, you're right; you should put your visor overlay bitmap in the unit_hud_interface tag.