PDA

View Full Version : RPG Engine?

ima_from_America
April 5th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Anyone know of any good 2d RPG engines that are free?

PlasbianX
April 5th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Free? You're not gonna find anything that decent.

But if ya pay, RMXP (rpg maker xp) is one of the best. The coding language is simple, theres a huge community forums that has every script, sprite, map, etc you could ever imagine (if ya don't like making em yourself) and the database to set everything up is neat and simple. Some really cool games can be made using RMXP.

Pyong Kawaguchi
April 5th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I know of one!
get it at toolkitzone.com
It works well :D and allows scripting

fatso784
April 5th, 2008, 06:59 PM

But if ya pay, RMXP (rpg maker xp) is one of the best. The coding language is simple, theres a huge community forums that has every script, sprite, map, etc you could ever imagine (if ya don't like making em yourself) and the database to set everything up is neat and simple. Some really cool games can be made using RMXP.

^Ditto. I've worked in RMXP before, and its REALLY easy to use once you get the hang of it. However, its very time consuming if you wish to make a full rpg game out of it. Good for beginners though.

p0lar_bear
April 10th, 2008, 12:04 AM
The RPG Maker series is pretty much the standard for DIY RPGs.

Even then, RPG Maker is similar to modding Halo CE; there are a lot of things hard-coded and unchangable, so yeah, you can make your own story and content, but in essence, you don't have your own game, if you know what I mean. Sure, there are RPG Maker games out there that utilize the engine's scripting and events system to go about making their own deally, but if you ask me, it's kind of a pain in the ass and it would be more worth it to just take up C++ or Flash Actionscript and code your own engine.

A fairly decent free one I came across a while back is an old DOS engine called OHRRPGCE (Official Hamster Republic Role Playing Game Creation Engine). However, it can't even compare to RPG Maker, and was coded in QuickBASIC (:gonk:).

Dr Nick
April 12th, 2008, 05:10 PM

But if ya pay, RMXP (rpg maker xp) is one of the best. The coding language is simple, theres a huge community forums that has every script, sprite, map, etc you could ever imagine (if ya don't like making em yourself) and the database to set everything up is neat and simple. Some really cool games can be made using RMXP.There's a new version out now, RPG Maker VX.
Most of it's the same.

p0lar_bear
April 13th, 2008, 12:46 AM
There's a new version out now, RPG Maker VX.
Most of it's the same.

Yeah, but I see that they added something to allow reprogramming shit to work for you.

\:awesome:/

EDIT: Downloaded the trial, I'm giddy as all hell. This is pretty awesome.

k4is3rxkh40s
April 13th, 2008, 03:01 AM
I dont know much about it and have never really messed with it too much, but Role Playing Game Director (http://www.animetheme.com/games/rpgd.html) was used to make a game I used to play all the time :\