PDA

View Full Version : Raytrace light...? [Help]

SgtBotley
April 7th, 2008, 04:13 PM
how would i achieve this beam of light effect in Halo?

SuperSunny
April 7th, 2008, 04:58 PM
You can't really do Raytracing light in Halo, as the only known light manipulation is the Active Camo, which can't really be applied to anything and only works on objects (doesn't even affect light really, just the person).

You can fake it, though, with bumps, transparency, and reflections (custom cubemaps). It would take some work.

SgtBotley
April 7th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Could i not make a scenery object that looks like a beam of light and just immitate it?

and if it is possible how would i do it...?

idea - make a model of a beam (just a long rectangle)... very low transparency... tag edits?

paladin
April 7th, 2008, 06:06 PM
like so?
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/4835/005yi0.th.jpg (http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=005yi0.jpg)

SuperSunny
April 7th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Could i not make a scenery object that looks like a beam of light and just immitate it?

and if it is possible how would i do it...?

idea - make a model of a beam (just a long rectangle)... very low transparency... tag edits?

OH! You mean illuminated light? Raytacing is the whole "light can bend with properties or pass through objects and diffuse" concept.

This can be done the way Bungie did it for their light structures, or by placing lens flares along a transparent cylinder to imitate a bloomish glow.

SgtBotley
April 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM
ha yeh like that Paladin :D,

i guess i'll have to experiment a little Sunny thanks for the help and advice - i'll probs be askin for later :P

Zeph
April 8th, 2008, 03:06 PM
What is that picture from? Anything released?

LlamaMaster
April 8th, 2008, 04:21 PM
What is that picture from? Anything released?
An old WIP by a member who disappeared. Never got released.

paladin
April 9th, 2008, 12:13 AM
SCooby sent me it along time ago. A friend of his made it. I have a bunch of pics and the map file some where....:confused: