PDA

View Full Version : [HALO 3] DoubleXPWeekend: Living Dead - What the fuck?

p0lar_bear
April 13th, 2008, 03:01 AM
So this morning I booted up my 360 to check out if my XBL was still gold and to see what was crappening on Halo 3. Much to my excitement, I find that Bungie has put up an Infection playlist for DXPW. I hop in, expecting to find the same fun, epic battles I've experienced in the few I've played on customs.

...and three games later, I'm severely disappointed and feel like I just got ripped off bigtime.

The main problem I have with this is shielded, lowgrav zombies. Am I the only person who feels that this in itself completely kills the point? I would understand this a bit more if it were the case with only Alpha Zombies, but no. All of them have sheilds and can jump high; Alphas have MORE shields and can jump highER. What's more, the weapon you're supplied with that can actually do any damage worth a damn isn't any good until your attacker is in bullshit range of you, where ping is king and what you see doesn't mean a damn thing. The magnum is all but useless, since its accuracy is crap at far ranges, and with its rate of fire, by the time your target gets within useful range, you end up switching for your shotgun, which, by the time it's ready, you've got a plasma sword taking up your chest cavity.

Ever since Halo 2, the whole idea was that zombies were easy to kill if you could aim, but in groups, they pose a major threat, where player skill actually determined your survival as the last man standing. But here, being the last man standing is all about squatting in a corner, counting how long it takes for someone to come along and poke you in the tummy, since the only "bonus" you get as the last man is a waypoint visible to all enemies. Yay.

No, I'm not mad because I haven't been the winner of any of these games I played. I haven't won an Infection gametype to date (as far as I remember), and managed to lose horribly in a few, but then, I still had fun. My point here is that I was promised an Infection playlist, but I never found one.

rossmum
April 13th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Low grav can be good in the right situations. My friends and I have pretty much perfected a gametype for Sandtrap, and it's so fun we'll happily play the same thing about 10 times in a row.

I can't remember the precise settings, but it had minimum grav on zombies.

Kornman00
April 13th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I agree with you. I played the playlist last friday morning expecting the same fun I got in the some custom games a while ago when it first came out, only to be put in epitapth or w/e with shotguns and pistols with shielded zombies with fucking gravity hammers. What. the. fuck.

I stopped playing that playlist right then and there (after the game ended that is).

p0lar_bear
April 13th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Low grav can be good in the right situations. My friends and I have pretty much perfected a gametype for Sandtrap, and it's so fun we'll happily play the same thing about 10 times in a row.

I can't remember the precise settings, but it had minimum grav on zombies.

It would be nice if they mixed it up a bit and threw in a novelty gametype with odd settings now and then, but EVERY GAMETYPE in the playlist has those same core settings.

The core gametype is Save One Bullet. All survivors are normal, equipped with a shotgun and magnum, each with two mags in reserve. However, they cannot pick up anything; no extra ammo, no equipment. Which is crap; the maps have power drains scattered throughout which would be so goddamn useful; but I can't use them. Zombies have 50% gravity and SHIELDS and are equipped with sword.

There's also Creeping Death, in which Survivors have a 75m motion tracker, and the zombies are invisible with gravity hammers, and a Rocket variant of Creeping Death, in which survivors are given a Rocket Launcher and Laser (the latter is totally useless, by the way).

rossmum
April 13th, 2008, 03:33 AM
This is fairly close to what we had, but I can't be sure:

Zombies:

200% health, headshot resistant
No shields
Sword
150m motion tracker set to 'all'
200% speed
50% gravity

Survivors:

100% health
No shields
Shotgun, magnum (nothing on map, no pickups), 2 frag grenades (I think)
No motion tracker
150% speed
75-100% gravity

Sandtrap, 2 Mongeese, 1 Elephant. No timer, so the last man standing HAS to die. 10 rounds.

Awesomeness ensued.

Arteen
April 13th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I've had a lot of fun with the infection playlist, but I guess I agree that there needs to be more variation in the settings and gametypes. Also, CreepingRockets is awful. Maybe if enough people bug Shishka about it, he'll improve it for the next weekend it's on. I'd like to see a few gametypes that take advantage of the structure of Infection that don't assume the game will be the traditional zombies vs humans set-up. For example, shotty-snipers that starts 8v4 but transitions to 1v11 could be pretty cool.

ima_from_America
April 13th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Stay XBL Gold, p0lar bear.

Darqeness
April 14th, 2008, 03:37 AM
I've been having fun with it. I think they gave the zombies some advantages for balance and exp reasons. As you most probably know, the winner's determined by the most kills, human or zombie, not by the last man standing. The zombies need some advantages or they've got no hope in the world of coming close to winning.

Terry
April 15th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I agree. I never really played Zombies, but I felt it was very bland and not very fun. I think the only real fun I had was flanking people when they least expected it and hearing their reactions but in reality, it feels a bit less fun than what I expected.