PDA

View Full Version : Quick-Crit 2008-2009

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

CSFLOYD
April 17th, 2009, 10:07 AM
wow way to get trolled by a joke

ps wrong proportions count as fucking up on an object that simple, since they're about the only thing you could fuck up without deliberately trying to suck
Shoulda said that :smugsome: Cause I hate jokes.

rossmum
April 17th, 2009, 10:09 AM
as a general rule any post i make which contains little or no punctuation can be considered at least partially unserious, except for this one in which case i'm just lazy

get trolled easier, jesus

CSFLOYD
April 17th, 2009, 10:13 AM
as a general rule any post i make which contains little or no punctuation can be considered at least partially unserious, except for this one in which case i'm just lazy

Ok my bad, now I know when tell if your joking, sorry. :downs:

Con
April 17th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Lay off the smilies floyd.

also flaming ends here!

Heathen
April 17th, 2009, 01:41 PM

Jesus never gets trolled.

And nice bocks.

DEElekgolo
April 17th, 2009, 06:07 PM
:o

NuggetWarmer
April 18th, 2009, 09:15 PM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u27/foxymccloud/Modeling/MCCurrent-1.png

Looks like shit to me, but you can judge it.

I still have a lot of details to add to the chestpiece, and the shoulder was started like five minutes before this render.

BTW Should I do the helmet?

Joshflighter
April 18th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Yes, you most certainly should.

Chainsy
April 18th, 2009, 09:59 PM
The most described attribute bungie says of master chief is that he is a "walking tank."
He is a super soldier, and so I think the actual biped you're modeling the armor off of should be more muscular, but that's just me.

Rob Oplawar
April 18th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Turns out, the MC biped in all three games is horrendously anatomically inaccurate. I say, if you're trying to make a feasibly wearable suit of armor, stick with what you have now, which seems for the most part anatomically correct.

NuggetWarmer
April 18th, 2009, 11:03 PM
The most described attribute bungie says of master chief is that he is a "walking tank."
He is a super soldier, and so I think the actual biped you're modeling the armor off of should be more muscular, but that's just me.

hurf durf completely ignore the other posts including stuff for this

It's getting CNC'd and turned into armor. Most people wearing this will be your average string bean nerd like myself.

EDIT: Plus, the underarmor and padding I'm going to be making will add extra 'muscle' to me anyway.

MetKiller Joe
April 18th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Turns out, the MC biped in all three games is horrendously anatomically inaccurate.

Yet they've sold millions of copies...

Hmmm... face it, we're the only ones that give a shit

Heathen
April 18th, 2009, 11:12 PM
hurf durf
UGH. Will the Real BODZILLA please stand up.

Can we stop this yet I keep thinking the few of you are bod.

NuggetWarmer
April 18th, 2009, 11:21 PM
When a better avi comes my way I'll be happy to change it. :)

ExAm
April 19th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Turns out, the MC biped in all three games is horrendously anatomically inaccurate.You're referring to arm length and such, right? Also, no male has a gap that wide between their thighs. The Chief's got one the size of an anorexic chick's.

Terror(NO)More
April 19th, 2009, 09:04 AM
You cant fuck up on proportions of a box considering they come in all shapes and sizes.

teh lag
April 19th, 2009, 09:47 AM
You cant fuck up on proportions of a box considering they come in all shapes and sizes.

Yes, you can. He was modeling a specific box and he got the dimensions wrong.

ODX
April 19th, 2009, 01:01 PM
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5148/odxsmg.gif
Halo 3 Beta SMG reload, did it for Grunt's Open Source Sandtrap. Arms are rigged by Moses. Please, try to resist the urge to bitch about the use of ripped content.

legionaire45
April 19th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Looks totally robotic.

You don't want it to snap that awkwardly, you want to make it have a more natural feel. I'm not as well versed with animating but something definitely looks wrong there.

And your ripped and baked texture looks hideous.

teh lag
April 19th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Well, it looks fairly accurate with respect to H3... Most of the gun motion is quite choppy though. I realize that that's part of the H3 style which you're trying to emulate, but please make it at least a little smoother. The gun just jerks from point A to point B with no real in-between.

BTW loose the background and just make it gray. Also get some ambient lighting going on, it's hard to see exactly what's going on in some places.

ODX
April 19th, 2009, 02:01 PM
*Stuff about Halo 3's animator style*Yeah, Halo 3 tends to make things jerky at times, but at least their animators are better than decent compared to some other 'professionally' made games.

BTW loose the background and just make it gray. Also get some ambient lighting going on, it's hard to see exactly what's going on in some places.:( But gray backgrounds are so boring. Sorry about the lighting also, I know nothing about 3ds max really. I like to say that all I do is load rigs, import models, and move bones and nodes around.

And your ripped and baked texture looks hideous.
I didn't rip them, I was just given the model and a skin. Other reasons I would use would be the above.

teh lag
April 19th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Yeah, Halo 3 tends to make things jerky at times, but at least their animators are better than decent compared to some other 'professionally' made games.

That goes without saying. Of all games I've seen, Halo is one of the few that has FP animations that look like actual care was given to making them look good. That doesn't change the fact that you could improve on what you have there.

:( But gray backgrounds are so boring. Sorry about the lighting also, I know nothing about 3ds max really. I like to say that all I do is load rigs, import models, and move bones and nodes around.

And the one you have is distracting. Also, Rendering > Environment > Ambient Color.

ODX
April 19th, 2009, 02:17 PM
That doesn't change the fact that you could improve on what you have there.Just did some big edits with your crit, changed the mag when it came out also, looked horrible now that I take another glance.

Also, Rendering > Environment > Ambient Color.Ah, I see. Thanks for everything Lag. First time showing any of my work on Modacity, glad I wasn't trolled to death, or even at all.

Joshflighter
April 19th, 2009, 02:29 PM
First time showing any of my work on Modacity, glad I wasn't trolled to death, or even at all.

I wonder why people would always say this would happen... :eyesroll:

Cagerrin
April 21st, 2009, 05:45 PM
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/TalonX/randomstuff/WIP/signet_tower_kerky_1.jpg

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/TalonX/randomstuff/WIP/signet_tower_kerky_2.jpg

Pretty generic Forerunner erection, not sure if I'll be using it in anything.

jngrow
April 21st, 2009, 05:47 PM
Looks neat, but you have some real bad errors in various spots.

Disaster
April 21st, 2009, 05:49 PM
I think thats lighting

Cagerrin
April 21st, 2009, 05:49 PM
Urgh, I should re-render. It's just crappy light placement, I forgot to change the sun position.

E: *shakes fist*

rossmum
April 21st, 2009, 10:33 PM
Taper it, it shouldn't be a box...

Advancebo
April 22nd, 2009, 07:21 AM
Looks like he beveled the sides.

rossmum
April 22nd, 2009, 07:50 AM
If that was in reference to my post, they're not even similar, that doesn't cover it.

A bevelled box is still a box, something a lot of people here could stand to learn.

Sever
April 22nd, 2009, 08:23 AM
Looks like he beveled the sides.
How fucking observant. Someone give this guy a medal. Give me one too, while you're at it.

Of course he cut the sides at an angle. You know how I can tell? The sides are cut at an angle!

e: How fucking observant and WRONG. Give him another medal.

/rant

Now, on to your most recent work, Cagerrin. It's looking ok - it definitely looks like Halo 3 Forerunner architecture, but isn't anything special. You started to taper the front, but it looks like it scared you off. Never be afraid to be bold with your angles when creating Forerunner constructions - you can usually easily remodel something complicated into something regular, but doing the reverse can get a bit tricky and/or untimely.

Now, on to the detailing you've done. The notches on top don't really fit - most Forerunner structures have large, simplified leading edges (in this case, the top is the leading edge) and have their interiors detailed to hell. Also, the three protrusions on the support beam don't really look that in-place there. Try some different arrangements for that area - I don't really have anything to give you at the moment, other than the fact that it doesn't really work yet. Maybe I'll have something later. Also, I love the progress you made on your previous piece. Did you ever finish draping the terrain over everything?

Spartan094
April 22nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
eh i decided to edit the h3 spartans skin since i dont like plane smooth shiny metal, more dirty metal like combat
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/ab3b5883a62c6ac309a6e92a80fdfd44246a4e54.png
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/e20df00b88d16ac12ad0f7e2fa77d33e017d6d33.png
do you
like or
back-to-the-drawing-board

Con
April 22nd, 2009, 08:51 AM
It looks like he went through a car was that ued oil instead of water. It's everywhere, and it's all the same. I think going back to the drawing board would be a good idea. +rep for trying though

edit: what are you using to show the time ingame?

Spartan094
April 22nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
dunno about the time, it appeared a few days ago and i didnt do anything so :confused2:

edit: LOL on the oil, i tried thou and thanks, ill fix it up when im done researching Bass (fish) lol
double edit: i think its the multi as well making it look weird aswell, i just looked at the multi and i went :ew:

kid908
April 22nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
just make a reg clay render with only skylight. works fine for ur purpose. skylight highlights everything, but once u get lighting in, u'll have some areas that's too bright and others that are too dark.

Heathen
April 22nd, 2009, 10:49 AM
That forerunner whatever it is is to square and boxy. Kind of not pretty.

Should have more angled rising to the structure.

Joshflighter
April 22nd, 2009, 11:09 AM
edit: what are you using to show the time ingame?

Xfire, seems to have this as a new feature for all games now I think. eh..

Chainsy
April 22nd, 2009, 04:46 PM
So that's where it is fucking coming from, I thought it was steam as it only shows up on TF2 for me, and had the steam style.

Mass
April 23rd, 2009, 12:25 PM
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/nate-the-great_photos/somethoughts.jpg
some thoughts, your proportions and angles are right, but I think you need to work with your lines more.

those ribs need to finish their horizontal lines or they'll stay looking awkward

The way that the 45 degree pillar meets the ground is unsatisfying and looks incomplete

the top is a box and should probably come in at a 60 degree angle (as I drew it.)

The thing I put on top is definitely not necessary, but please let your lines finish themselves more gracefully.

rossmum
April 23rd, 2009, 12:48 PM
and don't forget to taper it

as in, it gets progressively narrower as it goes, pester snaf if you need a less shitty description

Higuy
April 23rd, 2009, 03:36 PM
crit needed
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/showbizfluffy/blah2.jpghttp://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/showbizfluffy/blah-2.jpg
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/showbizfluffy/blah1.jpg Don't know why the screens went like that sorry :S
Also, most of it is going to be surrounded by terrain so the sides don't really matter much

=sw=warlord
April 23rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
and don't forget to taper it

as in, it gets progressively narrower as it goes, pester snaf if you need a less shitty description
Not all forerunner structs are tapered, valhalle and some of the buildings in Halowars are good examples of that.

SnaFuBAR
April 23rd, 2009, 04:11 PM
still a good idea to learn how to do it since a lot of people lack the .... hmm... maybe i'll make another tutorial..

Cagerrin
April 23rd, 2009, 04:15 PM
Only problem with it is that at this stage it'd be easier to start over than to make it taper.

Will keep it in mind in the future, though.

E: Gah I just realized why the bottom of the support beam looks so wierd. It was originally stuck into a 60-degree-ish cliff, and I extended it a bit so the back side wouldn't look ugly in the renders.

Corndogman
April 23rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Question, what angle do they usually taper at? Does it follow regular forerunner angles? It seems like 30 would be too much, so I'm thinking 15. (though It's not technically one of the angles, it is still used sometimes.)

Sel
April 23rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
some thoughts, your proportions and angles are right, but I think you need to work with your lines more.

those ribs need to finish their horizontal lines or they'll stay looking awkward

The way that the 45 degree pillar meets the ground is unsatisfying and looks incomplete

the top is a box and should probably come in at a 60 degree angle (as I drew it.)

The thing I put on top is definitely not necessary, but please let your lines finish themselves more gracefully.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/selentic/Models/ingame1.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/selentic/Models/ingame2.jpg

First thing that came to mind, which I ripped off mass before that HEH

Disaster
April 23rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
. It looks like a sci-fi dinosaur head.

Without a jaw.

MetKiller Joe
April 23rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
Awesome job on that. The only thing I'd say is that it would benefit from some texture variation on the top. You seemed to use a variety on the bottom and then stopped for some reason after the middle.

Also, that cage in the middle, I think it would look better if the cage was facing straight rather than at 45 degrees down.

ThePlague
April 23rd, 2009, 04:52 PM
I remember that, it was the first time i've ever seen a forerunner erection...that sounded soooo wrong.

Roostervier
April 23rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
Use ninja tags next time. The white text on the Source theme is more noticeable than the regular text.

Also, mass had some good ideas with that. You should do it.

e: Also, tapering (the already created model) would be easy. Just delete exactly half of the model. Then, rotate all the faces so that the front of the structure is converging. Then, move all the verts that are supposed to be in the middle back to 0. Then, use a symmetry modifier. Not too difficult, and your faces are still planar.

Corndogman
April 23rd, 2009, 05:03 PM
Question, what angle do they usually taper at? Does it follow regular forerunner angles? It seems like 30 would be too much, so I'm thinking 15. (though It's not technically one of the angles, it is still used sometimes.)

?

Sel
April 23rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
Awesome job on that. The only thing I'd say is that it would benefit from some texture variation on the top. You seemed to use a variety on the bottom and then stopped for some reason after the middle.

Also, that cage in the middle, I think it would look better if the cage was facing straight rather than at 45 degrees down.

That's from last year lol, really really old shit :p

rossmum
April 23rd, 2009, 08:00 PM
some of the buildings in Halowars
not made by bungie, doesn't count

MetKiller Joe
April 23rd, 2009, 10:18 PM
That's from last year lol, really really old shit :p

Hehe, wasn't aware. Oh well.

rossmum
April 23rd, 2009, 11:04 PM
Very, very unfinished

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/rossmumv2/spitwip.jpg

ExAm
April 24th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Are you painting over a screenshot or is that from scratch?

Your highlights and shadows are kinda wavy and the highlights in particular look a little like plastic. Try to smooth them out, as well as dull the highlights a little. We're talking painted metal here, which often adds a certain dull quality to reflected light.

On the waviness, notice the shadows on the air scoop under the nose skew the perception of its shape.

And, unless this is a night shot, brighten your shadows.

rossmum
April 24th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Paintover. I could do it from scratch as I have a near-photographic memory where the Spitfire is concerned, but my proportions and perspective skills aren't the greatest.

Wavy lighting is a problem, I know, but I'm still trying to get the hang of my tablet. I should probably adjust the sensitivity or something for the pressure sensor. That said, any close-up photo of a WWII fighter will show inconsistent and wavy highlights and shadows as no panel was perfectly smooth. This was particularly noticeable along rivet lines or curved sections. The highlight is the way it is because those squadrons with the time and resources to do so and a need for maximum performance would polish their aircraft regularly.

Overall lighting intensity is low because it's going to be rather late in the evening.

I'll see what I can do with the lighting on the carby scoop and the top plating of the fuselage, but the rest will probably remain as-is.

Chainsy
April 24th, 2009, 07:21 AM
The only way to get better, is to use references and not actually paint over it. You should really consider painting in the lighting to some extent, then adding dodge and burn afterward to help with volume and other things, I don't know much about old planes, but can help you on technique if you want.

rossmum
April 24th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I only used the screen for a shape/proportion template and to get the panel joints in the exact right spot. The lighting on the original screen is nothing like what I added, because once I got the basic shape and colours down, I disabled the layer.

Painted lighting is something I'd like to have done, but I'm pretty terrible at it. I dunno, I might go back and redo it later with painted lighting.

Chainsy
April 24th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Posted this on another site on some useful tips with lighting n' such:
Its really about practice and a passion for your work, I spend at least 2 hours a day in TOTAL (does not mean to stare for 2 hours straight) at pictures of professional digital paintings, just to see the different styles and how they do it. To keep so sharp, I paint with a 76 percent, hard, round brush, start out large and get smaller and smaller, and start zoomed out and zoom in more and more as the brushes get smaller. Try to use more then one type of brush to give a sensation of different materials, and do not be lazy, find references and things for inspiration. I tend to use a 2500 by 2500, but most pros use 3200 by 3200.Normal sites scale down the painting by alot, so doing actual pixel setting you can make some pretty sketchy things, that will be so small on the full size it will look clean. (for example, on gray man, the lines on his torso are not perfectly attached lines, but a 2 px hard round brush at 80% with black being slowly sketched down. For shading, I will figure out the light source at the very beginning, and paint in lightest spots and darkest spots, very contrasted. You always want to work and blend from lighter to dark, or it will come looking washed out if done darker to lighter. You get a decent blend of the colors by using a 80% hardness on a regular circular brush using between colors, using opacity in accordance. Many people do not think that outlines are used in paintings, they are, just in the color of the piece, not in black, so it blends in well, yet gives a clear cut definition of everything. Now once everything is blended, I get a large, round brush at 50% hardness on the burn tool at about 10% 9note it can be adjusted or not if it burns too harshly) and go over the side and curves that are in shadow, making the soft part of the brush create a gradient to the other side, while making the very edge of the body in shadow darkest. It's great to add a little bit of improvising on the light to make it very contrasted, this makes the piece more dramatic and pop, now after the burn, I get the same size brush, same settings and do the other side with dodge at 8%.
You must realize you are setting up the lighting and not things like glare and material definition, so don't go crazy yet. Now go back to Bburn and get smaller, harder brushes, creating more defined shadows in areas that receive less light, also shading under out croppings in clothes, armor, ect. Now get smaller brushes for dodge, metal being shiny, but not ultra white, and a slight, dull shine for clothes and skin. I tend to paint in greyscale for volume and form since its easy to distinguish light and dark, then Imake a new layer and colorize different sections, stick to the color wheel to use complementary colors and contrasting colors to bring focus and make things pop, hope this helps.

~Chains

Heathen
April 24th, 2009, 04:55 PM

Christ, thats EXACTLY what I thought was wrong with it.

rossmum
April 25th, 2009, 09:46 AM
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/rossmumv2/jl-s.jpg

Having done some thinking, I'm not so sure about fiddling with the lighting. As I said, it's what I've seen on countless photos of the Spit in action; it might not be perfect artistically speaking, but I want a faithful portrayal of arguably the most beautiful plane ever produced, not something that ticks all the right boxes with artists but is an affront to Reginald Mitchell's memory. What I will do is take another look at the panelling, because I don't like the way the joints currently look. Other than that, I don't think I'll change much on the aircraft itself aside from minor details and the lighting that goes with those. Once the entire picture is assembled, then I'll look at the lighting colour and intensity.

If I do spot an area where the lighting could be better without ruining the accuracy, I'll adjust it (as I already have on the fuel tank, and as I need to do on the upper cowling where it bulges ever so slightly to cover the piston rows... I need to fix the rear fuselage lighting around the roundels, too).

I know this probably sounds like I'm trying to get out of actually changing it, but honestly, I have a very firm image planted in my head of what a Spitfire should and always will look like and I'm sticking to that before anything else. If there's one thing I do well, it's putting accuracy first and everything that anybody else would care about last :ohdear:

Chainsy
April 25th, 2009, 10:26 AM
All I can say is then, make the wings brighter, as the small extrude at the base of the wing that is pointing at a slant backwards is lit, giving the light source to be high and back.Also where the exhaust things are (no idea what they're called) there's too much burn there and along with the smoke makes the whole thing look indistinguishable unless you squint. Be aware of things such as volume in the face that on the exhaust things, they are round, and some of the edges will be lighter if the light source is hitting them, same for edges are bumps on the wings.

rossmum
April 25th, 2009, 10:39 AM
The wing's profile means the highlighted area is largely not visible on the left wing, but the right definitely needs a highlight boost - about two-thirds of the left wing is out of view from this angle. Dark area over the exhaust stubs is the slight bulge in the cowling made to cover the whole engine, as the V-12 arrangement necessitates it (if you look at the Bf109E and later which had an inverted V-12, you'll see the opposite shape - the top is curved, the bottom is squared off and bulged outwards). The dark stuff coming from the exhausts is not actually smoke but rather a stain, as the engine would often both send flames and a lot of smoke out in that direction on startup. I can distinguish it from the shadowing but as we've already established, my monitor is much better at displaying the contrast between darks than most peoples'. I'll go back and add some browns and greys into it though, to show where the flames have scorched the paint. The exhaust stubs themselves weren't actually round, either; they were either oblong, semicircular, or somewhat rectangular in section, depending on which Merlin version was installed and whether they had been locally modified for whatever purpose.

I'll fix all the necessary stuff up later on, as I've closed Photoshop for now... been alternating between it and forums all day, without leaving myself any time for gaming or whatever.

Thanks for helping out, by the way, even if not all of your suggestions end up getting used :F

Chainsy
April 25th, 2009, 02:14 PM
No problem, glad I could help. :)

Newbkilla
April 25th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Old shit is old.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8760/hahacay.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6013/boxerrender.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1774/wip2u.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9857/wipladder.jpg

Higuy
April 25th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Power lines under the glass look really ew, make them smaller and make more, and make them all one color..

Newbkilla
April 25th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Might as well restart them. I shrunk them down considerably. They used to be much larger.

rossmum
April 25th, 2009, 09:37 PM
They look like string. Cables that thick shouldn't bend anywhere near as much, and would probably be tied or otherwise secured neatly during construction of the hallway.

Joshflighter
April 25th, 2009, 10:05 PM
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8760/hahacay.jpg

Glad you didn't add what you wanted to this. :rape:

paladin
April 27th, 2009, 10:37 PM
The power cables under the center wouldnt be that loose. There would be more tension in them.

Roostervier
April 27th, 2009, 10:56 PM
So I started this around 8, and finished around 10:30.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/8610/chiefcustomskin2.jpg
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1605/chiefcustomskinback1.jpg
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/876/chiefcustomskinupclose1.jpg

All was made from scratch (talking about the textures of course. Model is bungie's too, plus the cubes) EXCEPT the normal map bungie made. I used it and added the scratches to it. Two problems I have with it right now: The detail bump I've got on it makes it look like stone when viewed up close (or at least it's too pitted, maybe not stone). The second thing is when I put the scratches on the normal map, for some reason they got raised like 4 pixels up, so I need to fix that.

Heading to bed, so I'll check back tomorrow.

Jean-Luc
April 27th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Hmmm, from first glance, I would say your first problem is that the armor is way too bright of a green. Even at high noon, the armor wasn't that luminescent ingame, so I would tone that down a bit. Secondly, the scratches you have on the diffuse look good, but you need to carry them over to the specular and bumpmap properly in order to make them look like they belong there. Next, the specular and reflection maps on your chief need work. He just doesn't look like metal right now, but rather a plastic toy. Also, Ima give you my custom bumpmap to help you along. Low-res pains me :p

Roostervier
April 27th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Get on aim real quick then, I have to go real soon

ExAm
April 28th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Hmmm, from first glance, I would say your first problem is that the armor is way too bright of a green. Even at high noon, the armor wasn't that luminescent ingameThat's because Bungie's armor sucks compared to Rooster's. He's going for improvement, not duplication.

rossmum
April 28th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Hmmm, from first glance, I would say your first problem is that the armor is way too bright of a green. Even at high noon, the armor wasn't that luminescent ingame, so I would tone that down a bit. Secondly, the scratches you have on the diffuse look good, but you need to carry them over to the specular and bumpmap properly in order to make them look like they belong there. Next, the specular and reflection maps on your chief need work. He just doesn't look like metal right now, but rather a plastic toy. Also, Ima give you my custom bumpmap to help you along. Low-res pains me :p
He shouldn't look metal at all, the outer layer of the armour is and always has been ceramic, a fact nearly everyone but Bungie themselves (and hell, even them sometimes) seems to overlook.

Advancebo
April 28th, 2009, 07:31 AM
It seems a little blue in the first render.

Jean-Luc
April 28th, 2009, 11:43 AM
He shouldn't look metal at all, the outer layer of the armour is and always has been ceramic, a fact nearly everyone but Bungie themselves (and hell, even them sometimes) seems to overlook.

*glances back at 4 years of working to make the chief look like metal*

:(

Pooky
April 28th, 2009, 02:36 PM

Really?

In Halo 2, I could have sworn his armor was made out of hard rubber :p

(low res bump maps ftl >_<)

klange
April 29th, 2009, 02:25 PM
What's all this about ceramics, metals and rubber? Everyone knows the chief's armor is made of a material called leetium diawesomide. I suggest someone consult a reference manual with canonical information.

<-- Haha, 1234

paladin
May 2nd, 2009, 03:33 AM
What Im going for....
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/964/76573782full.jpg

What Ive done...
http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/8044/21940986.jpg
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/8657/photo1k.jpg

Hunter
May 2nd, 2009, 05:47 AM
Looks accurate and nice. I would advoid getting the textures on there though until its finished. Just saves a bit of time. :)

MetKiller Joe
May 2nd, 2009, 07:55 AM
What Im going for....
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/964/76573782full.jpg

What Ive done...
http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/8044/21940986.jpg
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/8657/photo1k.jpg

I'm in Europe right now, but I get back I might take a crack at that mossy concrete texture, if I have the time.

Looks great so far.

Malloy
May 2nd, 2009, 09:54 AM
Looks accurate and nice. I would advoid getting the textures on there though until its finished. Just saves a bit of time. :)

Thank you for your masterous wisdom. :P

But to be honest if you texture whilst you model... you end up with a finished product or something near completion as I know alot of people just model and dont texture it at all...

paladin
May 2nd, 2009, 10:40 AM
I like to at least start to texture as I go because a lot of times, you have to create geometry specific to textures.... otherwise its a pain to go back and add geometry to get what you want textured.

NuggetWarmer
May 2nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
The balcony thing needs to be farther from the wall, and the small building needs to be longer, and moved to the left slightly. Besides that, it looks great.

paladin
May 2nd, 2009, 02:34 PM
I agree with the balcony, but the angle of the image stretches the building, ill try and show you another angle. I think I got the measurements pretty accurate.

kid908
May 2nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/kid908/8drag.jpg

glass dragon/8. Logo for 8-Dragon studio(hope it's not a real studio cuz i made it up and don't want to end up in some law suit). i spent prob a good 8-10 hours modeling it(quite high poly, the model is) and 1-1.5 hours setting up the scene and agh. 48 min render. my computer is crap i tell you!!!!!!!!!

logo was designed during TAKS week (agh...5 fucking hours in 1 room w8 for damn kids to finish an easy test). not much to see since i only drew it 2inX1.5in, hope you guys like the design.

paladin
May 2nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
Its probably just me, but the background color makes it hard to make out what the glass shape is. Unless your using it to color the glass, id suggest changing it to a darker color. Nice job though.

Also, the gold part (or whatever it is, the base) if it has that much reflection, it wouldn't it be shinier? and the reflection would travel down the side, which it doesnt

kid908
May 2nd, 2009, 06:04 PM
Its probably just me, but the background color makes it hard to make out what the glass shape is. Unless your using it to color the glass, id suggest changing it to a darker color. Nice job though.

Also, the gold part (or whatever it is, the base) if it has that much reflection, it wouldn't it be shinier? and the reflection would travel down the side, which it doesnt

no it shouldnt be on the side of the gold base(reflection) because the object is center right above the base and the side is parallel to the glass object, but the gold should be shinier, i think its just the way the light is set up that makes it that dullish. ill fix the background colour when i get home.

Roostervier
May 2nd, 2009, 07:25 PM
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6418/rigged2.jpg
Thoughts?

Disaster
May 2nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Looks like your typical Halo 3 Chief. Give it stuff that will make it stand out.

Chainsy
May 2nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
I think its h2.

NuggetWarmer
May 2nd, 2009, 07:40 PM
Check the handplates, Chains. It's the H3 chief.

Spartan094
May 2nd, 2009, 08:15 PM
add more reflection to it and mb add some detail maps and it would look pretty good, i like it thou but keep at it ;)

Con
May 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
IMO the reflection is where it needs to be. How about getting this ingame?

Roostervier
May 2nd, 2009, 10:42 PM
Like in CE? :downs:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9228/asdfghjkle.jpg

Con
May 2nd, 2009, 10:50 PM
oh cool, it walks on its head

Roostervier
May 2nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Lol, I'll have to find out how to fix it sometime I guess. If I'd actually put it in CE, I'd want some new anims with it.

Newbkilla
May 2nd, 2009, 11:06 PM

Nice mate ::lmao:

mech
May 2nd, 2009, 11:16 PM

Look's great man, but there's a little stretching.

Jean-Luc
May 2nd, 2009, 11:27 PM
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/8843/chiefcopy.png

Chief looks good in blue. :cool:

Reaper Man
May 2nd, 2009, 11:42 PM
glass dragon/8. Logo for 8-Dragon studio(hope it's not a real studio cuz i made it up and don't want to end up in some law suit). i spent prob a good 8-10 hours modeling it(quite high poly, the model is) and 1-1.5 hours setting up the scene and agh. 48 min render. my computer is crap i tell you!!!!!!!!!

logo was designed during TAKS week (agh...5 fucking hours in 1 room w8 for damn kids to finish an easy test). not much to see since i only drew it 2inX1.5in, hope you guys like the design.
It looks alright. 8-10 hours to model something you could've simply drawn out with the polygon tool, or made with [cue dramatic music] booleans?

NuggetWarmer
May 3rd, 2009, 12:11 AM
Jean, in all of your chief renders, the stomach plate looks weird. As if it's set too low. Could you get an angle that shows it a bit better?

Jean-Luc
May 3rd, 2009, 12:13 AM
Jean, in all of your chief renders, the stomach plate looks weird. As if it's set too low. Could you get an angle that shows it a bit better?

It is a rigging issue that I haven't figured out yet. What you're seeing is the stomach plate going INTO his body.

paladin
May 3rd, 2009, 12:15 AM
is knee is box, but I don't think you can do too much about it...

ExAm
May 3rd, 2009, 06:18 AM

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9228/asdfghjkle.jpgGet Down: HCE?

Roostervier
May 3rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7908/chiefrotate.gif

The gif sorta kills some of the colour. I like the visor colour much better though.

Heathen
May 3rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
whatever happened to APNG's?

Weren't those the new gifs?

paladin
May 3rd, 2009, 04:07 PM
looks nice.

Roostervier
May 3rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
whatever happened to APNG's?

Weren't those the new gifs?
They also took up a shitload of space. D:

Con
May 3rd, 2009, 04:39 PM
They also took up a shitload of space. D:
Nobody wants to use them since they're so big. <3 GIF

Render looks sexy, can we get some closeups?

kid908
May 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
It looks alright. 8-10 hours to model something you could've simply drawn out with the polygon tool, or made with [cue dramatic music] booleans?

http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs45/i/2009/123/b/7/8_Dragon_Logo_by_kid908.jpg

Image on the left is the wireframe(black lines are the wireframe, well more like black sides, lawl). right is the final render of the mesh. it's around 50k tris and i made each curve manually vertex by vertex. so yes it took 8-10 hours. also boolean sucks and leave a very horrible mesh.

@animated gif of mc: looks really good. the gif killed the quality but atleast it's still better than youtube =P

Reaper Man
May 4th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Dear god, you should've made it with NURBS. Also, yes, booleans leave messy meshes, but what you've modeled was simply for rendering purposes, so big deal.

Sel
May 4th, 2009, 07:45 AM
that is a good mc you have there

it walks very nicely too :downs:

kid908
May 4th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Dear god, you should've made it with NURBS. Also, yes, booleans leave messy meshes, but what you've modeled was simply for rendering purposes, so big deal.

ye i should have use nurbs but ive never been able to useitwith flat surfaces. and im very ocd about my mesh being clean but i had time to kill so :p

DaneO'Roo
May 4th, 2009, 07:29 PM
So I started this around 8, and finished around 10:30.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/8610/chiefcustomskin2.jpg
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1605/chiefcustomskinback1.jpg
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/876/chiefcustomskinupclose1.jpg

All was made from scratch (talking about the textures of course. Model is bungie's too, plus the cubes) EXCEPT the normal map bungie made. I used it and added the scratches to it. Two problems I have with it right now: The detail bump I've got on it makes it look like stone when viewed up close (or at least it's too pitted, maybe not stone). The second thing is when I put the scratches on the normal map, for some reason they got raised like 4 pixels up, so I need to fix that.

Heading to bed, so I'll check back tomorrow.

So, you used a premade model, premade normal map, added a detail bump( which is no feat at all) and a very sub par diffuse map from what I can gather, and then you have the right to say "all was made from scratch"

That is a slap in the face to real work.

You did nothing, no offence. I saw the pic and actually was impressed until I read what you had actuallu written.

Roostervier
May 4th, 2009, 07:31 PM
By all I meant diffuse, specular, and gloss, heh.

e: If it's completely custom work you want, I've got that too. Check the textures in my gallery thread. The paint is obnoxious on the wall and floor textures, but aside from that I could use some crit on it.

e2: here, quoting my post

So uh, I made some stuff. Still WIP since I'm getting crit from people.

Anyway, I made this floor around 2 weeks ago. It still doesn't tile properly because I haven't fixed it yet.

The highres:
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5572/highresmeshfloor.jpg

Rendered in marmoset:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/103/floorpanelnopp2.jpg

One that isn't overly bright and is in marmoset:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9033/floornew.jpg

This wall I just made today.

The highres:
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9216/wallpanelhighresmesh.jpg

Marmoset:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4475/wallnew.jpg

And a screengrab from max after I got it to tile:
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/518/tilesnow.jpg

Things other people have told me:
Make the paint less bright

Also, if you dislike the scratches, say so. I'm not a big fan of some of them myself.

SMASH
May 4th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I really like that rooster. I unfortunately have never been able to get the hi-res to normal map thing to normal map thing to work...

Disaster
May 4th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Wow. Dane actually made a serious post. :raise: joking

Anyways. The textures you made look great rooster. However, it seems to lack any color other than the yellow paint which doesn't really look that good. It is way to bright.

Malloy
May 4th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Yeh they're not 'that' amazing. I also dont think Dane was challenging you to show more work.

Roostervier
May 4th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I know, but he thought the problem with the chief was that I didn't make him completely from scratch. His gripe was really with semantics, but I went ahead and showed him those in hope that he crits them and I get some good tips. I made the chief for rendering purposes, and because I didn't like bungie's diffuse and spec maps. Maybe I'll get around to making a normal map for it, maybe not.

Heathen
May 4th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Nobody wants to use them since they're so big. <3 GIF

Render looks sexy, can we get some closeups?

well what does size matter if your internet isnt shitty?

Roostervier
May 4th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Well, my internet is shitty. : |

Jean-Luc
May 4th, 2009, 08:25 PM
:mysterysolved:

That said, Dane is right on many things for your chief. A higher res diffuse would certainly suit it well.

Timo
May 5th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Does this work as a minimal wallpaper?
http://timo.modacity.net/pix/May-09/_MG_8912.jpg
Original:http://timo.modacity.net/pix/May-09/_MG_8912-3.jpg

Was watching the rain fall past this light over the carpark outside my room, and decided to make something out of it :F I'd like to make it look a bit more like a painting and photochop it up to hell but have no skills in anything more than using filters.

Advancebo
May 5th, 2009, 03:58 PM
lol, floating light post.

Advancebo
May 6th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Need crit and how to improve on it:
http://www.xfire.com/video/b39c2/

ICEE
May 6th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Are you serious? why did you do an exit animation without the actual vehicle in the scene?

Newbkilla
May 6th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Lmao. I can tell what it is, but it would be very hard for someone else.

Watch icee's weapon animations. Does he animate without the weapon in the scene? No, because that wouldn't make any sense at all.

Advancebo
May 6th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Are you serious? why did you do an exit animation without the actual vehicle in the scene?

Well, I figured that it would be blocked a little, since its exiting in the cockpit, and you wouldnt be able to see it. Ill put in a elephant for the next render after I fix this one up a bit.

ICEE
May 6th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Maybe getting the angle right would be difficult, but i dont have any idea whats going on without the elephant there

Sel
May 7th, 2009, 05:49 PM
pro animator

fn4FOO40-L8

Youtube is kinda skippy.

http://files.filefront.com/Dooravi/;13724372;/fileinfo.html

Heathen
May 7th, 2009, 06:22 PM
cool.

Corndogman
May 7th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Well, I figured that it would be blocked a little, since its exiting in the cockpit, and you wouldnt be able to see it. Ill put in a elephant for the next render after I fix this one up a bit.

Make it transparent, maybe that will help.

Sel
May 7th, 2009, 07:31 PM
OBF1KMsvybA

look how pro I am at animation

Heathen
May 7th, 2009, 07:39 PM
cool.

Newbkilla
May 7th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Definitely needs to be faster. Which I assume you already know :)

Sel
May 7th, 2009, 07:40 PM

Yeah it was a quick animation :p

Just showing off parts of the model lol

Advancebo
May 7th, 2009, 07:41 PM

The speed can be changed in the tags, if its for Halo CE use.

MetKiller Joe
May 7th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I think it looks nice. I'd make the smaller sections accelerate faster than the big section but have the same initial velocity. I'd also start the smaller sections .2-.3 seconds before the big section. But at the very end, you'd have the smaller fins slow down so that only the tips or ends are showing while the bigger pieces are still about 1/3 away from being done. That's how I'm remembering the multi-step doors.

Good luck, and, again, looks good.

ExAm
May 8th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Loop it a few times if you're going to put it on youtube. Youtube likes to cut off the last second or so of every video.

Cagerrin
May 8th, 2009, 02:50 AM
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/TalonX/randomstuff/WIP/rehab_render_1.jpg
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/TalonX/randomstuff/WIP/rehab_render_2.jpg

*cannot render for shit*

Basically trying to remodel Prisoner as a Covenant facility(which at this point mostly consists of adding curves to everything). Platform between the prongs is Forerunner for a reason.

Smoothing(or lack thereof) on the central trough in the floor has been fixed, I rarely remember to smooth everything that I should.

Newbkilla
May 8th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I see the resemblance between this and the original map. Keep up the work.

Sel
May 8th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Basically trying to remodel Prisoner as a Covenant facility

FUCK

YES

BEST LEVEL EVER

Cagerrin
May 8th, 2009, 01:31 PM
FUCK

YES

BEST LEVEL EVER
Pretty much my entire thought process behind doing this.

Higuy
May 8th, 2009, 03:47 PM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/showbizfluffy/rehab_render_1.jpg
Other wise from those few things that were bugging me, it's looking pretty good =) ( I've made some covy shit too before )

Heathen
May 8th, 2009, 04:19 PM
FUCK

YES

BEST LEVEL EVER
Eh, Hang em High.

But one of the maps I feel didn't get enough love: Ratrace.

Sel
May 8th, 2009, 04:43 PM
every map is shit compared to prisoner

get yo shit straight warren

Heathen
May 8th, 2009, 04:51 PM

k yuki

Rob Oplawar
May 8th, 2009, 06:17 PM
slightly ot:
Yo where is Neuro, didn't he have a Prisoner remake in the works? What ever happened to that?

Sever
May 8th, 2009, 07:56 PM
It doesn't matter to the HCE community - Asylum was being made for UT or something like that.

Sel
May 8th, 2009, 08:16 PM
k yuki

k warren

Cagerrin
May 10th, 2009, 01:07 AM
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/TalonX/randomstuff/WIP/rehab_base_render_1.jpg

Preliminary base redesign for Prisoner/Rehab.

I should probably make a [GALLERY] thread or something.

Jean-Luc
May 10th, 2009, 03:43 PM
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/8493/arbiter.jpg

Been starting some stuff up on our friend the Arbiter. Normal map comes first, which you can see here. Resolution of the texture is 4096x4096, and the actual armor parts are about 75% complete.

Before anyone mentions it, yes, I'm aware the curved details were extruded in the game, Snaf and I just feel it looks better, and more logical in this fashion.

paladin
May 10th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Looks good, but I dont like his fingures on the right hand. THe joint looks blah, but Idt im supposed to critique that.

=sw=warlord
May 11th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Flashlight enabled shielding.
So far the shields only work when the flashlight is turned on, adds a new element of gameplay instead of running about and waiting for your shields to run down you have to think carefully.
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/the_dark_warlord/?action=view&current=Movie_0002.flv
[i hope linking to that works here...]

Reaper Man
May 11th, 2009, 08:44 AM
This has been around for a while, I remember it was in this map where you played as an elite, a long while back. Still cool though. Seems a bit big, and there aren't enough ripples - looks like you applied the elite's shield to master chief. What would be cool is first person shields that activated too. Getting the first person shields is easy enough, I wonder if it'll show up when you turn on the flashlight, if you do so.

=sw=warlord
May 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM
This has been around for a while, I remember it was in this map where you played as an elite, a long while back. Still cool though. Seems a bit big, and there aren't enough ripples - looks like you applied the elite's shield to master chief. What would be cool is first person shields that activated too. Getting the first person shields is easy enough, I wonder if it'll show up when you turn on the flashlight, if you do so.
Yeah i had edited the shields tiling a bit to make it look more like a shield instead of waves of electricty.
The rippling does show in FP as well.
Il boot up halo tonight and ger some more videos and pictures.

rossmum
May 11th, 2009, 09:19 AM

truth

Llama Juice
May 11th, 2009, 12:01 PM
RyV8RI6ePx0

NuggetWarmer
May 11th, 2009, 12:26 PM
The jumping could use some work. It appears as if he just sorta crouches slightly then floats off the ground. The "aww, man" animation is a bit stiff too.

Llama Juice
May 11th, 2009, 01:20 PM
The aww man animation is supposed to be a stretch, so I guess that failed lol, thanks

DOMINATOR
May 12th, 2009, 02:46 AM
too much arm swing on the walk. legs a little straighter and knees should be behind the center of the person longer than infront walking.

legs needs to stretch out/extend on the jump then bring them up. (even though most people keep their legs straight while in the air, then compress them for the landing)

Cagerrin
May 12th, 2009, 06:37 PM
When I got to it, I realized that the highest of Prisoner's bridges is horribly done, the sides aren't even parallel. So I did something a bit different with it.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/TalonX/randomstuff/WIP/rehab_third_level_bridge.jpg

BobtheGreatII
May 12th, 2009, 08:20 PM
When I got to it, I realized that the highest of Prisoner's bridges is horribly done, the sides aren't even parallel. So I did something a bit different with it.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/TalonX/randomstuff/WIP/rehab_third_level_bridge.jpg

Don't get lazy... :rolleyes: the suspender things unter the bridge don't look very covenant...

Cagerrin
May 12th, 2009, 08:25 PM
True enough, they weren't really meant for that, I just copied them in since they were the first thing that came to mind.

I'll figure it out, I just need to replay High Charity a bit.

Sever
May 12th, 2009, 08:37 PM
By High Charity you mean Gravemind, right? High Charity was the second of the two, where the Flood had gained a foothold in the Covenant Holy City, whereas Gravemind was the first, which was longer and had better combat areas.

Unless, of course, you want it to be like the latter.

You could always do both - make a clean and infected version.

Cagerrin
May 12th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Nope, High Charity. Gravemind doesn't have the Step of Silence.

Sel
May 12th, 2009, 09:17 PM
make an infected version.

oh dear god yes

that would be sweet

Cagerrin
May 12th, 2009, 09:19 PM
oh dear god yes

that would be sweet
yes but prisoner is confusing enough without zero visibility

and I can't model organic stuff that doesn't look horrible

Llama Juice
May 13th, 2009, 09:02 AM
toying around... with my new toy what do ya think?

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/732/logomockup.jpg

new toy =
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/508/1000516r.jpg

Reaper Man
May 13th, 2009, 09:04 AM
So I'm designing a new website layout, trying to keep things nice and minimal looking. I need some ideas for about how I should set up the site navigation, any ideas? A friend suggested polaroids, I think that may just look a little too tacky and cliché. Maybe just some text, in a nice thin, minimal font, a lighter grey-blue than the background simply sitting on the background to the side of the backdop?

Also, what are good dimensions for the page?
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5513/websiteminimald.jpg

Also, the aperture looks like the Aperture Labs logo, I know. But how can it not? That's what an aperture looks like, so shut up goddamn :saddowns: (though in this case, it seems to have become a ringlight.

Hunter
May 13th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Looks nice. Where is the menu going? Down the right side?

Reaper Man
May 13th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Looks nice. Where is the menu going? Down the right side?
That's what I'm trying to figure out, read moar, look at pics less, lol. Any ideas?

E: how's this? Something about the font I used is bugging me, any suggestions?

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9218/websiteminimal.jpg

MetKiller Joe
May 13th, 2009, 10:43 AM
One can barely see it. Nice website, by the way. What I'd recommend is that you use the same style as for your logo on that menu with a little less intensity.

Reaper Man
May 13th, 2009, 10:45 AM
One can barely see it. Nice website, by the way. What I'd recommend is that you use the same style as for your logo on that menu with a little less intensity.
Hmm, well I thought that would look very.. stark, for lack of a better phrase. I wanted it to be a bit more subtle. While it's kinda dark, there's not much there that can detract from it, since I framed it. I'll have a play with it, but I really want to keep this site very minimalist and subtle, compared to my lousy, unsubtle designs previously.

Also, due to interpolation it does look pretty dark in the [shot] tags, if you fullview it, it looks a bit better.

Hunter
May 13th, 2009, 10:53 AM
My bad, I like pictures :P

What about something like this? Apart from better, because my attempt sucks:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/reaper.jpg

Reaper Man
May 13th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Hmm, nice idea with the lights, not a fan of the frame. So many ideas :phonegonk:

What if I just make the film frame a slightly transparent white instead of that blue? Image will be up inna sec.

E: http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9332/websiteminimali.jpg

Joshflighter
May 13th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I think that actually looks really cool. Only thing I am not liking is the title thing, "feign". Seems a bit bland compared to all the rest. Almost as though you didn't try on it. But again, that's my opinion. :p

MetKiller Joe
May 13th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I would say this is definitely going in the right direction. I'd make the menu a litte easier for the eye to see (little less subtle) as you want to have site navigation be very easy for the end-user.

Reaper Man
May 13th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I think that actually looks really cool. Only thing I am not liking is the title thing, "feign". Seems a bit bland compared to all the rest. Almost as though you didn't try on it. But again, that's my opinion. :p

Feign's my last name, it's supposed to be a minimal design D:

I would say this is definitely going in the wrong direction. I'd make the menu a litte easier for the eye to see (little less subtle) as you want to have site navigation be very easy for the end-user.

I made the text easier to read, on the previous page.. I could make it even whiter if need be.

Joshflighter
May 13th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Feign's my last name, it's supposed to be a minimal design D:

I meant the design and color usage. :p

Reaper Man
May 13th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I meant the design and color usage. :p
Any suggestions on what I can do to improve my logo then?

The main purpose of the page is to show photos, so the logo isn't all that important, but if I can make it better, no harm.

SnaFuBAR
May 13th, 2009, 01:31 PM

That's supposed to be covenant??

Spartan094
May 13th, 2009, 03:06 PM
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/Brandon094/Halo%20Aug%2029%20To%20the%20now/haloce2009-05-1315-28-23-24.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/Brandon094/Halo%20Aug%2029%20To%20the%20now/haloce2009-05-1315-28-33-17.jpg
Decided to ditch the dirty "oil" bitmap and just used a some what dirty bitmap, added a detail map in the shaders, made a new multi and added a new cubemap to it. The turn out was the two pics above me (and i think it resembles the halo 3 shaders abit :p) Anything i need to change? (other then some slight rigging errors you see)

Cagerrin
May 13th, 2009, 03:36 PM
It's Covenant in the way a good percentage of H1 maps are Forerunner.

I suck too much to redo it from scratch without fucking up the jumps and all that, so I'm just modelling over the original BSP.

Higuy
May 13th, 2009, 04:50 PM
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/Brandon094/Halo%20Aug%2029%20To%20the%20now/haloce2009-05-1315-28-23-24.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/Brandon094/Halo%20Aug%2029%20To%20the%20now/haloce2009-05-1315-28-33-17.jpg
Decided to ditch the dirty "oil" bitmap and just used a some what dirty bitmap, added a detail map in the shaders, made a new multi and added a new cubemap to it. The turn out was the two pics above me (and i think it resembles the halo 3 shaders abit :p) Anything i need to change? (other then some slight rigging errors you see)
I would get a darker cubemap, so its not as shiny or, make the shine less like the original mc

Ki11a_FTW
May 13th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I made this a few months ago

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4766/mp40rendershow.jpg

semi -high poly MP-40 , inspired from CoD: WaW

I cant get an exact poly count for you right now, but with the bullets i modeled (also high-poly) its around 8,000 triangles

this wont be going ingame

NuggetWarmer
May 13th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I like the render.

Spartan094
May 13th, 2009, 07:00 PM
The clip could be a tad bit bigger along with the counterpart above it were it holds it, make it slightly fatter. But it still looks cool. Can we get a wire frame and a poly count (accurate) if possible? Higuy, ill decrease the tint stuff in the cubemap parts, make it darker abit.

Sel
May 13th, 2009, 08:48 PM

It looks fine to me lmao. Maybe not super detailed, but perfectly reasonable for halo 1 :S

rossmum
May 13th, 2009, 10:25 PM
semi -high poly MP-40 , inspired from CoD: WaW
handy tip

if you want anything to be even remotely accurate, base it off the real thing, not cod's dodgy interpretation

Reaper Man
May 13th, 2009, 10:51 PM
So, after following Snaf's advice, I have this; a slightly lengthened and deeper backdrop, light moved more the the side and a new navbar.
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5363/websiteminimal1280x800.jpg

E: does it look better with or without the film frames?

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2682/websiteminimal1280x8002.jpg

Chainsy
May 13th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Well... What is the focus point, the screen or the logo? Right now the logo is winning my attenion over the display screen, but that may change when pictures are displayed. It's stylish, but I think the screen should have a border of some kind.... just makes my eye drag to the corner of the logo and not to the main thing, a border might help and also make it look less cluttered. Another thing is maybe move the screen a bit further down, and lengthen the logo across the top half left section its at and make the tripod longer.

edit- move tripod further over, make it higher, then extend logo more, maybe having a nav bar extend into border for screen?

Timo
May 13th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Without the film frames is best - just makes sure they're equally distanced from each other.

Reaper Man
May 13th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Well... What is the focus point, the screen or the logo? Right now the logo is winning my attenion over the display screen, but that may change when pictures are displayed. It's stylish, but I think the screen should have a border of some kind.... just makes my eye drag to the corner of the logo and not to the main thing, a border might help and also make it look less cluttered. Another thing is maybe move the screen a bit further down, and lengthen the logo across the top half left section its at and make the tripod longer.

edit- move tripod further over, make it higher, then extend logo more, maybe having a nav bar extend into border for screen?

Of course it's distracting when there's no content on the website. The photos are pretty much gunna fill up that backdrop. Additionally, I think a border would ruin the whole look of the backdrop. I don't think I should move the logo any further. I want to make it look like part of the website, not some addition off to the side.

Without the film frames is best - just makes sure they're equally distanced from each other.

Fixed. I was lazy with the other image, because all I did was hide the film layer, now the text is properly distributed. (No point uploading another pic)

Con
May 14th, 2009, 12:14 AM
There's only two things that bug me:
1) How the light is yellow-white, and the screen is bright white. I've always felt they don't go well together, and I would personally either make the light white (which doesn't help with colour variety), or more likely make the light a complementing colour like an orange--something you could use in the content area and still have it look good. If you went with the complementing colour, the whole light stand might have to be orange for example, or else it may look silly. This site's source theme is a good example.

2) The light stand needs a proper hard shadow.

edit: film frames for sure

Reaper Man
May 14th, 2009, 01:00 AM
D: so many conflicting ideas. The reason I gave the logo a yellow glow was so that it was sort of like a studio light. I just tried an orange glow, it looks really weird. I also tried giving the stand a hard shadow, looked out of context because, everything is softly lit, as if by a softbox. I still can't decide between the film frames or lack thereof.

I want to keep the colors very muted, as they're not to distract or conflict with the colors of the photos that will be shown. I was thinking for the gallery to use something along the lines of this: http://www.airtightinteractive.com/projects/autoviewer/

For the lazy, here's an example of what this flash gallery can look like (the distortion is just for effect, it's not actually there in the actual flash gallery, I don't know why the maker is making it look like that)
http://www.airtightinteractive.com/projects/autoviewer/grab.jpg

Or maybe this
http://flash-gallery.com/zen-flash-gallery/

Pooky
May 14th, 2009, 12:14 PM

looks like paper mache (SP?)

Hunter
May 14th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Just another cool render:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/Pelican_8.jpg

DEElekgolo
May 14th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Wires.

Chainsy
May 14th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Dee, I can see where you are going from a mile away, don't start that shit in this thread.
For people wondering why above reply, pm me and do not get off topic, and I will explain to you what dee and cls did to hunter, though he did over react too.

DEElekgolo
May 14th, 2009, 11:23 PM
What? What did DEE and CLS do to hunter?

rossmum
May 15th, 2009, 04:20 AM
He asked a rather pertinent question, drama or not I would like to see the wires myself...

Hunter
May 15th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Fair enough Lol. And yeah, Dee, you mension that word, and your having a nuke on your house, that argument is long finished.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/Pelican_Wire_1.jpg

Malloy
May 15th, 2009, 08:22 AM
how can you bare to model with 5 or more sided faces?

BobtheGreatII
May 15th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Doesn't matter if it doesn't go in game...

Hunter
May 15th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Its going in-game, but if you use the turn tool you can see the hiden edges, so wont they stay the same even when you convert it to a .gbxmodel? Or would I need to add all of the edges? I like to model that way because its got a cleaner look to it, but I see what you mean and I agree with you. I might start to model with actualy triangles instead of 5 or more sided faces.

MMFSdjw
May 15th, 2009, 10:27 AM
They will stay the same. Hidden edges are just hidden. they're still there.

DEElekgolo
May 15th, 2009, 11:44 AM
When you model with polygons the triangles are being calculated automatically.

Hunter
May 15th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I know, I use the turn tool and turn them to how I see fit.

Malloy
May 15th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Its going in-game, but if you use the turn tool you can see the hiden edges, so wont they stay the same even when you convert it to a .gbxmodel? Or would I need to add all of the edges? I like to model that way because its got a cleaner look to it, but I see what you mean and I agree with you. I might start to model with actualy triangles instead of 5 or more sided faces.

Yeh I just find it easier to work with legit faces so I dont get confused and in fubarnation. Also looks prettier imo :P

but yeh turn tool will justify lol.

Llama Juice
May 15th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I've been wanting to make some shirts for a while.... and so I just emailed a local shop this picture to see if they can do it... but either way... what do you guys think of the design?

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7227/shirtmockup.jpg

The back of the shirt would say Juice in a similar way (that splatter would wrap around to the back.)

Just a note, This was a fourteen second job in photoshop, just to get a basic idea down before spending a lot of time on something that might never happen.

thehoodedsmack
May 15th, 2009, 02:18 PM
It's a cool design, but wrap-arounds can be pretty pricey.

BobtheGreatII
May 15th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Yeah... and I'm not sure how you would be able to give us all free t-shirts if they cost you a fortune. :rolleyes:

Llama Juice
May 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Yeah... and I'm not sure how you would be able to give us all free t-shirts if they cost you a fortune. :rolleyes:

Easy, you'd just have to cover the $30 shipping cost.

Malloy
May 15th, 2009, 02:56 PM
surely if its a wrap around from back to front it says Juice Llama?

BobtheGreatII
May 15th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Easy, you'd just have to cover the $30 shipping cost.

Silly me. :ehhh:

PenGuin1362
May 15th, 2009, 06:07 PM

You can model with a million sided faces, actually you can't max crashed after like 30... but the point is, if it's a flat surface it doesn't matter how many faces you have. If you plane on applying smoothing to a face then you want to model in quads, not triangles.

Terror(NO)More
May 15th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I know it has been a while since I have been on, I just did some photoshopping for the hell of it. So I thouhgt this was worthy of showing. I'm not going to do any more editing to it. I just want to know your current thoughts on it.

I'm rarely on my computer anymore, which is why I'm not on here. I'm only on my computer now-a-days to check my facebook, or stuff for iphone.

Old Man:
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/6128/youngmannowold.jpg

TO

Younger Years:
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/8972/oldmannowyoung.jpg

He's dipping ;]

Llama Juice
May 15th, 2009, 09:14 PM
He looks deep fried or something... and not realistic at all... he's very flat.

Not really sure what you were going for.

E:

If you were trying to make him look younger you failed because you removed a bunch of wrinkles/creases in the face that everyone has. That's also why he looks flat.

You got rid of the crease by the edge of his mouth and around the side of his nose, making his nose look flat and his mouth look tiny. You should have left in (or made new) wrinkles by his eye to try to make that look more realistic.

Malloy
May 15th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Um nice attempt but he probably wouldnt have that collapsed chin/lip thing goin on that old folk do. If he did, he was one ugly inbred mother fucker (hope its not your grandad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenGuin1362 http://www.modacity.net/forums/styles/modacity/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?p=400259#post400259)
You can model with a million sided faces, actually you can't max crashed after like 30... but the point is, if it's a flat surface it doesn't matter how many faces you have. If you plane on applying smoothing to a face then you want to model in quads, not triangles.

O RLY? :P

I do know... im just OCD/hate fat ugly faces (sorry hunter) badum-ttshhhhhh.

Chainsy
May 15th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Hair shouldbe dark in color, not white, he should have side burns and not a receding hair line, even the youngest face has some creases from muscles and indentations from skin stratching over the skull. Overall it seems very rushed.

Llama Juice
May 15th, 2009, 09:35 PM
if it's a flat surface it doesn't matter how many faces you have. If you plane on applying smoothing to a face then you want to model in quads, not triangles.

Quick note about this... if it's got any angles greater than 180 degrees in the poly then it's better to split it where you can.

What I mean is...

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6765/polysplit.jpg

black is normal flat poly
Red is where you should cut
If you don't cut it at red, it could auto triangulate where green is.

PenGuin1362
May 15th, 2009, 09:55 PM
it could, it doesn't always, but its a good habit to get into for separating faces like that

Reaper Man
May 15th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Oh god he looks like he's been in a nuclear blast and his skin's melted.

SnaFuBAR
May 16th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Looks like a burn victim.

Malloy
May 16th, 2009, 04:38 AM
too many 'Oil of Olay' skin tests

Reaper Man
May 16th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I think I overdid it a little, but when it comes to getting rid of years, one must have a vision of what the guy should look like younger, rather than simply removing wrinkles, one must tighten skin too. Anyway, this was a relatively quick job so it's not perfect, but you get the idea.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4333/antiaging.jpg

rossmum
May 16th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Still doesn't look perfect but as you said, it was a quick edit to show him and you've pretty much got it down. The creases running from the nose to the corners of the mouth, the neck, above the chin, around the nostrils, and around the corners of the eyes and mouth should be there no matter what. In some cases they're not as easy to see, but they should always be there unless the person has never, ever made a facial expression in their life (or is a burns victim).

Terror(NO)More
May 16th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks for showing me what you mean, I probably wont mess with him anymore. I just had a day in from rain after school so I was just finding something to do for fun.

But next time I will know how to make it more realistic.

Llama Juice
May 17th, 2009, 11:21 AM
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7227/shirtmockup.jpg

I called a place back home to see what it'd be, and they said that it'd only be $6.70 per shirt, or if I buy 48+ of em it'd be $6.37 per shirt.

I'm going to call a few places down here to see what they'd charge for it.

But yea... apparently it's pretty cheap to make your own shirts... to hell with buying new shirts, I'm just going to design my own from now on haha.

Disaster
May 17th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Heh. Especially if your good at ps and illustrator. You can make some kick ass designs.

paladin
May 17th, 2009, 01:57 PM
The nose and lips need to shrink.

Spartan094
May 19th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I'm kinda bickering on which shader i should use
should i use this
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/ea1984e6c74e85b80da56cae795b3222af7265bc.png
or this
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/4284e5cc5d41505b410fd0fc0a7cd791131d24aa.png
Obviously i need to fix the issue on the rubber part
OR
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/06c0fde4dc738f25d111185d0ccd7ab2e794c1f4.png
malolo's rig needs to go lol
btw the last spartan picture bitmaps are custom :)
I need help on which one i should mainly use, since i might release it or lend it to other people for their maps

Advancebo
May 19th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Its hard to tell, since all 3 are different colors and different lighting. Show them off side by side in 1 picture with the same lighting, position, and color.

Spartan094
May 19th, 2009, 08:01 PM
D: thats kinda hard to do... each one was taken on a different date and the tags are separate...ill add them up tomorrow but scratch number 2 picture, ill do 1 and 3

E:
New animation since im here
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/large/16d076524851dd35bbbd63254521ba7c3f511fc3.jpg
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/large/892ea3f16add98a7b52e2f3242b492653b574a83.jpg

ExAm
May 19th, 2009, 10:35 PM
So yesterday my friend was all

[23:13] Ollie: God I love Civilization 4
[23:13] Ollie: Is there any other universe where a lone zulu spearman on a hilltop can destroy a stealth fighter jet?
[23:13] Jason: hahahaha
[23:14] Jason: how does that happen?
[23:14] Ollie: Because the level up system/defense system/random rolls in civ 4 are fubar
[23:14] Ollie: If you build a unit correctly, it can't attack worth a damn but anything that attacks it dies.
[23:14] Ollie: no matter what the unit is
[23:15] Ollie: But I mean
[23:15] Ollie: you just picture this spearman
[23:15] Ollie: Hopping a mile into the air Final Fantasy dragoon style
[23:15] Ollie: And shoving his spear through the cockpit
So today I made this with Animanatee (http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=14116):
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee6/TheExAm/inca.gif

Cagerrin
May 19th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I think it needs a little less of him shoving a spear into the jet, and more of him shoving his spear into the jet.

ExAm
May 19th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I think it needs a little less of him shoving a spear into the jet, and more of him shoving his spear into the jet.
What the christ?

Cagerrin
May 19th, 2009, 11:17 PM
What the christ?
Sorry, I'm just high on caffeine at the moment. I just think it's a funnier mental image.

ExAm
May 19th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I don't understand. You think it would be better if he didn't stab the jet, but stabbed the jet instead? :gonk:

Cagerrin
May 19th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I don't understand. You think it would be better if he didn't stab the jet, but stabbed the jet instead? :gonk:
Oh. Umm.... take a careful look at the wording, it might be funnier if I don't explain it first.

rossmum
May 19th, 2009, 11:28 PM
He thinks it'd be funnier if the dude bones the jet, apparently.

:ohdear:

Cagerrin
May 19th, 2009, 11:29 PM
He thinks it'd be funnier if the dude bones the jet, apparently.

:ohdear:
Yup.

...I shouldn't post when I'm high, should I?

Con
May 19th, 2009, 11:45 PM
...I shouldn't post when I'm high, should I?
no, go away ;)

=sw=warlord
May 23rd, 2009, 08:24 AM
Spent most of this morning and afternoon learning a few photoshop things and i think i've now got making metalic spheres nailed down.
I would like to know what anyone else thinks of it so far this is the first time i've opened photoshop in a long ass time and its also my first UVwrap.
The sparts not yet textured im planning on looking like carbon fibre shielding that surrounds the metal sphere.
I've yet to find a tutorial on how to do that though so if anyone knows of a few good tutorials please let me know.
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5706/hemisphere.jpghttp://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1355/dalek.jpg

Heathen
May 23rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Looks like a burn victim.
lolollol