PDA

View Full Version : Quick-Crit 2008-2009

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

SnaFuBAR
August 4th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Also, I need help, which colours, I can't decide:

First one. Second one has too covenant-esque of colours.

Hunter
August 4th, 2008, 07:20 AM
OMG Dane. You really need to make a game, you could totally make one which would sit on bungies... as long as you have a good engine.

You are actually way better than all of the bungie team I think.

I prefer the 2nd one. Don't know why, just has something to it, and it is nice and bright.

And I can't +rep you :( Sorry.

Monopoly
August 4th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Get your face out of Dane's buttcheeks.

Hunter
August 4th, 2008, 11:36 AM
But I like the butt cheeks. Just kidding Lol.

I'm only being honest though, his stuff is better than bungies.

Chainsy
August 4th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Veex, dont post the spartan laser until doan quits being lazy and fixes the errors, instead of covering them up in a crappy way.

Hunter
August 4th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Veex, dont post the spartan laser until doan quits being lazy and fixes the errors, instead of covering them up in a crappy way.

:confused2:

Pooky
August 4th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Also, I need help, which colours, I can't decide:

I think I'm liking the second one more, but I'm not sure :gonk:

First one definitely, it feels more flood-like.

Invader Veex
August 4th, 2008, 02:32 PM
:confused2:

The post before Dano's with the first pic of textured engineer flood.

Removing Till UVs are better.

Hunter
August 4th, 2008, 02:38 PM
:( I was just about to have a look.

And Dane, where does your flood breath from? Because I think it would look awesome with some gills on the side of it, it looks like that are some now but you can't make them out much.

Heathen
August 4th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I am liking the second one more.

DaneO'Roo
August 4th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Get your face out of Dane's buttcheeks.

Thank you. Hunter, praising me somehow isn't going to improve your work, if that's why you do all this.

And I'm no where near bungie. How could you even say that. I wasn't trying to outdo anyone, all I wanted to do was bring a concept to life.

Hunter
August 4th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Omg. I wasn't trying to be an arse licker. And I know your weren't trying to outdo anyone. That was my opinion on you stuff. I thought it looks extremely good. And IMO, Personal, In my mind, I thought it look better than bungies stuff.

Am I okay giving you all my opinion?

Heathen
August 4th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Stop this before it gets stupid please.

Hunter
August 4th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Okay. Pins are pulled in my sig :lol:

Bastinka
August 4th, 2008, 04:09 PM
<flood goes here>
basic texture and normal map are done, once I finish the normal map fully, then I'll finish the diffuse and then the specular and so on and so fourth. Once the main body is done, then I'll work on the petal wings and the decorator tentacles.
It looks a lot like a tree, not very much like a fleshy gruesome thing as most flood look like. Interesting stuff though, it could be this PC as it displays some pictures really dark but from what I see it doesn't look very fleshy. More like a tree texture than a flood texture.

EDIT:

I'm only being honest though, his stuff is better than bungies.
Nothing is better than bungies. Well maybe EPIC's stuff, correct me if I'm wrong about EPIC making the textures and models for GoW/UT3.

Chainsy
August 4th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Whoever makes resistance could outdo bungie in my opinion, cant wait for number 2.

Heathen
August 4th, 2008, 04:58 PM
No, I completely agree. GOW is gorgeous.

Bastinka
August 4th, 2008, 05:04 PM
GoW just could use a bight more color variances, also I'm not completely colorblind just Red-Green colorblind AKA 'Daltonism' (http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=7255).

Chainsy
August 4th, 2008, 06:16 PM
That sucks, the red green colors on my labtop on extremely vibrant, wish you could see.

ExAm
August 4th, 2008, 08:31 PM
GoW just could use a bight more color variances, also I'm not completely colorblind just Red-Green colorblind AKA 'Daltonism' (http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=7255).Set the color filter to "vibrant" in the settings.

DaneO'Roo
August 4th, 2008, 10:12 PM
It looks a lot like a tree, not very much like a fleshy gruesome thing as most flood look like. Interesting stuff though, it could be this PC as it displays some pictures really dark but from what I see it doesn't look very fleshy. More like a tree texture than a flood texture.

Must be your screen then. Or your eyes.

Chainsy
August 4th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Especially since it has alot of red and green.

Bastinka
August 4th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Must be your screen then. Or your eyes.
Probably the combination of both because darker colors make it harder for me to tell differences between the red and the green even harder than I see so it looks like a treebark brown to me..

DaneO'Roo
August 5th, 2008, 04:33 AM
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4765/coviebloodfloodmr0.jpg

:D

FluffyDucky™
August 5th, 2008, 05:11 AM
It's like, too shiny? The green looks almost metallic on the bottom half of it anyway. The wings are coming along very nicely though I was going to criticize you on that. The first two wings are realistic with being able to see through the gaps. I'm guessing you just haven't got around to doing it to the rest yet? But yeah good job so far. Make sure to place a lot of emphasis on the wings, as they are the main feature of your idea. The better you expand on that, the better it will be. I'm sure you have plans though, but yeah. :)

Edit: maybe even make the wings look more.. "light" in terms of weight. More... soft, not so much the muscular form of the wings. (don't know how else to put it)

DaneO'Roo
August 5th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Uh, all the wings use the same bitmap and shader....

You can't see through them because they're nothing behind them.....:logic:

and the green is because of the lighting I put in there.

also

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/5069/floodinfestation1uw3.jpg

anyone scared yet?

Malloy
August 5th, 2008, 06:16 AM
that looks awsome.... i beleive there is a way to get heightmaps (bumps) to work on bipeds ingame... if you could downgrade the normal map.

Pooky
August 5th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Whoa... this thing didn't seem that intimidating until you showed the scale. WTF gigantic floody vagina :phonegonk:

Hunter
August 5th, 2008, 06:54 AM
That thing is scary...

You best put that in SPv2 Lol.

Malloy
August 5th, 2008, 07:32 AM
you should blatently call it... Flood impregnator, it sucks its prey into its valve and takes their infected form.

just a less petty way of the flood spore, oh and form scale the flood infecties should be massive and butch like UT3 characters

Chainsy
August 5th, 2008, 09:56 AM
To me, it should have more congealed blood and open wounds with shreds of skin missing, because all in all, a flood is a zombie, and all zombies need some gore.

Bastinka
August 5th, 2008, 01:40 PM
It looks green at the bottom? :S

I'm pretty sure it's not my eyes.

LlamaMaster
August 5th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Looks too green to me, like it's covered in moss or something.

ExAm
August 5th, 2008, 03:31 PM
To me, it should have more congealed blood and open wounds with shreds of skin missing, because all in all, a flood is a zombie, and all zombies need some gore.
The Flood organism is NOT a zombie. The Flood MAKES zombies. Reanimated corpses decay around the infection form inside, but the infection form itself does not decay. Pure forms are not zombies either, since they are actual Flood tissue, not reanimated flesh.

Bastinka
August 5th, 2008, 03:35 PM
The Flood organism is NOT a zombie. The Flood MAKES zombies. Reanimated corpses decay around the infection form inside, but the infection form itself does not decay. Pure forms are not zombies either, since they are actual Flood tissue, not reanimated flesh.
The flood does NOT re-animate the dead to be exact, for the last time go read up on it. What they do is just act as sort of a cancer by burying themselves into the hosts body to find the spine, the highway to the brain, and in finding it they cause the muscles to grow and expand in an extremely quick way. Making it easy to see the vains, combat forms most likely have 1 'hammer' arm that they use for fighting. Also leg muscle's are basically powered up for jumping and running.

..from what I remember. The flood is 'sort of' a zombie in a way, but it kills instead of eating brains. Also, pure forms were created by the forerunner if I remember. Correct me if I'm wrong :hist101:

FluffyDucky™
August 5th, 2008, 04:59 PM
It's more bio-chemical. Not like the movie 28 weeks/days later. So the colors are appropriate... but if we look at an actual flood... maybe incorporate some colors that are there. Like the light browns..

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20050727/flood.jpg

These ones do have green in them... but more light browns or whatever you would call that. They need to look more.. dead?

DaneO'Roo
August 5th, 2008, 06:38 PM
do you people fucking read?

I said the green was from the god dam lighting.

>_>

Disaster
August 5th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Even I new that >_>

or did I?

Malloy
August 5th, 2008, 06:50 PM
ha, in retrospect of that screenshot, i sorta forgot what shade/colour the flood were.

Dane, the Halo 1 flood do look alot more pale in skin tone than your creature, but my mind is fuzzy towards Halo 2/2 which may have been your influences, i dno.

so yeh, if designed for halo 1 scheme make it paler if not, it looks awsome.

do you intend to put it in a CE SP map?

ExAm
August 5th, 2008, 06:55 PM
These ones do have green in them... but more light browns or whatever you would call that. They need to look more.. dead?I'm assuming what he's making is some pure form of flood, which is by no means dead at all. It's all living tissue that doesn't decay. There's a difference between a flood using a host and a flood on is own. The host decays due the infection form's energy needs and massive and damaging genetic mutation. The form inside does not.

DaneO'Roo
August 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM
and bingo was his name-o

Roostervier
August 5th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I thought it was an infected engineer? :confused:

Boba
August 5th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Maybe you have already said something towards this topic, but are these non-combat or combat?

DaneO'Roo
August 5th, 2008, 09:35 PM
It WAS going to be an infected engineer, than I thought it was a bit too silly to have the thing as big as it is, yet still have spawned from an engineer, so I'm just making it a pure form now.

I'd call them heavy combat if anything boba. These bastards are pretty much flying flood bombers, dropping eggs that explode on contact, that will try to slam you with its big arms if you get too close.

NuggetWarmer
August 6th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Finished H3MT's 3rd person spartan biped
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u27/foxymccloud/Modeling/MCfinal.jpg
Sorry for crappy render. Max wasn't rendering correctly today.

Bastinka
August 6th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Wireframe, also pelvic armor and chest armor seem a bit small.

NuggetWarmer
August 6th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Dunno why it'd seem small. I scaled the hard parts(helmet, legs, chest) to the actual H3 model.

Also just noticed a part I have to fix. :o

Heathen
August 6th, 2008, 01:01 AM
It does look...off. The chest part is thicker off his chest Im sure. Also, the bulge is lower I think.

TeeKup
August 6th, 2008, 11:06 AM
In Halo 3 it looked like they bulked his arms up a bit more, so this looks almost right. But the chest does look a tad small.

..from what I remember. The flood is 'sort of' a zombie in a way, but it kills instead of eating brains. Also, pure forms were created by the forerunner if I remember. Correct me if I'm wrong :hist101:

No? Where the fuck did you hear that the forerunner created the pure form?

Bastinka
August 6th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I do have really bad memory, maybe I need to get implants [/eve_online]

FluffyDucky™
August 6th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I'm assuming what he's making is some pure form of flood, which is by no means dead at all. It's all living tissue that doesn't decay. There's a difference between a flood using a host and a flood on is own. The host decays due the infection form's energy needs and massive and damaging genetic mutation. The form inside does not.

Very good point. I didn't think of it like that, lmao.

legionaire45
August 6th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Everyone should head over to Bungie's publications page and read their "Flood Anatomy" article since it gives a lot of detail about the Flood.

http://xs230.xs.to/xs230/08323/awsm_l115_080608_3_pretty856.png
http://xs230.xs.to/xs230/08323/awsm_l115_080608_2_pretty965.png
I decided to start this one over a little while ago and now I'm finally happy with the stock.

Next up: the other half of the stock, then the details (trigger, magazine, etc.) and then the barrel and firing stuff. Then I get to pimp it out with rims and shit, yo.

After this I think I'll get that fucking MP7 into CS:S as a skin like I said I would do decades ago.

Bastinka
August 6th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Why now just call it the A.W.S. Magnum?
There's not really that much to comment on, it looks good although I dont get the 'cut in' in the front. That looks silly.

Rentafence
August 6th, 2008, 09:26 PM
You could have saved a ton of polies on the grip, and the indented circular part near where the bolt would be.

ExAm
August 6th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I don't think he's worrying about saving polies.Look at the amount of detail in there.

legionaire45
August 6th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Blame Ross, he made me do it >=U
<3
The cut is in there for the little clip thingy that pokes through for the strap. Right now I'm aiming for 8,000 to 10,000 triangles unoptimized and will clean it up from there. This thing is going to be very very very very detailed and smooth hopefully.

rossmum
August 7th, 2008, 12:26 AM
idgaf about polies, yo. This is for Source, and Source can handle polies good. I want huge detail.

also <3

Invader Veex
August 7th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Same bitmaps, new shaders. (and added bump)

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3617/shadersmp0.jpg
http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/9125/ohaidc1.png

Comparison: http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/4128/halo2007083119194583wh3.png

Heathen
August 7th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Sexy...Autumn look is good.

Con
August 7th, 2008, 11:39 PM
damn that looks nice

DaneO'Roo
August 9th, 2008, 05:52 AM
The shaders and lighting do look good, but the water needs to be alot less blue, and your uvmapping or something needs to be fixed. That second image looks woefull. If those are bungies uvw mappings though, I guess theres nothing you can do about it.

Kalub
August 9th, 2008, 07:05 AM
>_> It's Bungie's

Invader Veex
August 9th, 2008, 08:50 AM
The shaders and lighting do look good, but the water needs to be alot less blue, and your uvmapping or something needs to be fixed. That second image looks woefull. If those are bungies uvw mappings though, I guess theres nothing you can do about it.

They are Bungie's. And I'll see what I can do with the water. Thanks for the crit. :D

http://www.pcgameshots.com/img/104/md/dship.JPG

TeeKup
August 9th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I'm loving that atmosphere Veex. Halo, in the Autumn. Someone released a map called Equinox a long time ago over at Halomods. It was the level Halo, but he achieved a perfect Autumn atmosphere. Perhaps if you can find him and ask him what he did you can do with same with the Silent Cartographer.

Invader Veex
August 9th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks, TeeKup. I guess I have a new theme for this :3 Already found the thread that Halomods.

By the way, water has been changed. I think it actually looks much more realistic than it did.

TeeKup
August 9th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Glad I was able to help. I'm anxious to see what you can do further.

FRain
August 10th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Crit on this animation (its been smoothed out a little bit, and the wrist showing has been removed)

G9JOmFNx9mo
Fucking youtube tags. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9JOmFNx9mo

killer9856
August 10th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Looks cool, but i can't animate so yeah.

Con
August 10th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I can take pretty picturez? take 2!

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4259/beeac0.jpg
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/649/woodie0.jpg

edit: fack, imageshack resized them. oh well.

Corndogman
August 11th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Ooohhhhh, I has a pretty picture too!
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/corndogman939/Dumpster.jpg

Whatchu think?

Pooky
August 11th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Crit on this animation (its been smoothed out a little bit, and the wrist showing has been removed)

G9JOmFNx9mo
Fucking youtube tags. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9JOmFNx9mo

It's definitely an improvement over your previous animations. It's got a very 'Halo 2' feel. The left hand looks a bit off the way the fingers barely move. I don't know about you but I don't keep my fingers stiff under many circumstances, especially not when reloading a gun.

Con
August 11th, 2008, 01:31 AM
I don't remember if I told you when you showed me before, but I agree that the fingers caught my eye in addition to the other things I said. The only way I can explain it is that they're sticking out like a sore thumb LOLBADJOKE

ExAm
August 11th, 2008, 05:27 AM

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4259/beeac0.jpg
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/649/woodie0.jpg

edit: fack, imageshack resized them. oh well.Why the hell do things always look better in photos than in real life?

Reaper Man
August 11th, 2008, 06:14 AM
[pics]
edit: fack, imageshack resized them. oh well.
Nice stuff, I really like the closeup of the rock, looks like a photo of a cliff taken with a selective focus lens. The bee photo seems a bit underexposed, but it's pretty sharp which is awesome. The background is somewhat distracting as the depth of field, although low, could be lower, but I guess, seeing as you're shooting with a compact powershot, there are limitations to that. Could be further enhanced with some photoshop lens blur maybe. Also, next time you scale a photo down, use bicubic sharper interpolation as it wont give you blurred details.

Also, when shooting with bright backlighting like that, try metering with the centre-weigted meter or even the spot meter, instead of the default matrix.

Here's what it should look like properly exposed (also added a tad bit of sharpening). It got a bit noisier due to pushing the exposure.
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2299/beeac0tq5.jpg

Ooohhhhh, I has a pretty picture too!
[photo]
Whatchu think?

Not a big fan of it. Dragging up the contrast of a photo to make the colours all 'pretty' does not equal a good photo. The subject of your photo (the dumpster) is potentially interesting, but the way you composed it seems as if you just walked up, took a shot and waked away. What you did with the contrast completely blew out the highlight detail on the lid of the dumpster. To be honest, if you're going for the high contrast look, chances are it'll probably look better in black and white.

Another tip is to shoot the details, instead of the whole scene. A dumpster like that is covered in interesting textures of paint and rust with graffiti on top, try taking close ups of these that suggest a dumpster, but not actually show it. You could even include a bit of the background to show some context.

At the very least, unless intended, keep keep horizontal lines horizontal, the top of the dum

Corndogman
August 11th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the tips reaper man, also I would have taken more pictures of it, but i took it out of the car window as we were pulling out of a gas station. It was just something that caught my eye so I snapped it.

I know the contrast kinda of ruined the lid of the dumpster but the photo was pretty boring before I edited it. BUt thanks for the advice I'll keep it in mind next time i take pretty pictures.

Con
August 11th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Nice stuff, I really like the closeup of the rock, looks like a photo of a cliff taken with a selective focus lens. The bee photo seems a bit underexposed, but it's pretty sharp which is awesome. The background is somewhat distracting as the depth of field, although low, could be lower, but I guess, seeing as you're shooting with a compact powershot, there are limitations to that. Could be further enhanced with some photoshop lens blur maybe. Also, next time you scale a photo down, use bicubic sharper interpolation as it wont give you blurred details.

Also, when shooting with bright backlighting like that, try metering with the centre-weigted meter or even the spot meter, instead of the default matrix.

Yeah, the bee one was kind of rushed because I didn't want to fumble around changing settings/exposure lest the thing fly away. The picture you see is actually edited in PS already because the exposure was quite low. I'll try the PS lense blur, good idea. Also imageshack resized it for me, bastards :shakefist:

Thanks for the tips Reaper <3

edit: I could always find some sort of lens to decrease the DOF. I don't know much about lenses at all, all I know is my camera can use:
"separately sold Wide Converter WC-DC52, Tele-converter TC-DC52A and Close-up Lense 250D (52mm). In order to attach these lenses, you also need to use the separately sold Conversion Lens Adaptor LA-DC52G"

Atleast I have a mini-tripod :haw:

Reaper Man
August 11th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I guess the close up lens or the tele-converter would do it, but I really wouldn't bother with conversion lenses right now to be honest. Plus they're usually a rip-off.

Also, corndog, I don't think I've seen any other photos you've taken. Got any you'd wanna post? I'm curious.

Corndogman
August 11th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Well I've only recently started trying to do "photography" so I dont have many, and I dont have a fancy camera or anything, but I'll upload some stuff that I just took in the smoky mountains.

E: gotta go, I'll post the pics later.

E2: K, here they are.

The dumpster original:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/corndogman939/photography/100_0182.jpg
Edited:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/corndogman939/photography/Dumpster.jpg

Trail original:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/corndogman939/photography/000_0270.jpg
Edited:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/corndogman939/photography/Trail_edited.jpg

waterfall thing:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/corndogman939/photography/000_0263.jpg

Other stuff:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/corndogman939/photography/101_0135.jpg
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/corndogman939/photography/100_0173.jpg
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/corndogman939/photography/000_0275.jpg

Yea, thats pretty much all I have.

Reaper Man
August 11th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Well I've only recently started trying to do "photography" so I dont have many, and I dont have a fancy camera or anything, but I'll upload some stuff that I just took in the smoky mountains
This whole "fancy camera" thing is a misconception. You don't need a fancy camera to take good photos. A fancy camera, like, say an SLR allows you to be more creative because of technical freedom, as well as producing higher quality images.

Check this guy out, these were taken with a cameraphone. Sure he'll never get good prints from them, but they sure look great online. http://flickr.com/photos/davidhelan/sets/1304592/

Your photos aren't bad, I like the waterfall one and the one of the wood beam.

Con
August 11th, 2008, 11:54 PM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/101_0135.jpg (http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/corndogman939/photography/101_0135.jpg)
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/100_0173.jpg (http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/corndogman939/photography/100_0173.jpg)
Those two are my favourites, especially the first one.

Timo
August 12th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Why the hell do things always look better in photos than in real life?
I guess it depends on your perspective on things. I find stuff like that amazing in real life :x

Nice photos too, by the way Con :-)

ICEE
August 12th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Im going to take the plunge and ask for criticism on my gravity hammer skin.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z295/iron_clad_photo/Hammer.jpg

I purposely made inaccuracies to halo 3 (in the skin, the ones in the model aren't intentional but IDGF) because I wanted to use my own sort of design. Its very grimy and scratched up because thats cruise control. Crit please, but be gentle I've never really made a weapon skin before.

Uvw and skin by me, model by Donut (who isn't looking for criticism on the model)

The resolution is 1024.

Con
August 12th, 2008, 08:34 PM
The metal seems kind of contrasty in some areas

ICEE
August 12th, 2008, 08:36 PM
it is partly the low quality render, but I think your talking about crosshatched area above the grip?

Con
August 12th, 2008, 08:43 PM
it is partly the low quality render, but I think your talking about crosshatched area above the grip?
Not what I meant, but those white lines on that seem out of place. What I was talking about was how on the blade at the back there are areas where it's almost completely black or dark. Some areas seem brightened and overdone. Looks like you've used with the burn and dodge tool a little too much.

ICEE
August 12th, 2008, 08:46 PM
oh those areas on the blade are actually dark green. meant to be slime or something. I made that with the thought of brutes chopping through trees in mind

Con
August 12th, 2008, 09:05 PM
lumberjack brutes? lol

edit: brb while I PS a lumberjack brute.

Heathen
August 12th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Looks TOO grungie. Looks good as far as the personal changes go, but you might wanna make it look cleaner. It was a good creative direction to go, but it seems too splotchy.

Malloy
August 12th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Lumberjack brute ftw...bit unnacurate one might say though... unless you're planning for splinters

ICEE
I like it grungy. I really don't want to make it clean, because clean = boring.

Con
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/1276/lumberjacksc0.jpg

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
I sleep all night and I work all day...

Rob Oplawar
August 12th, 2008, 09:38 PM
He wears high heels suspenders and a bra?!
e: must spread rep before giving it to conscars again. ARG!

Malloy
August 13th, 2008, 08:01 PM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p307/sgtbotley/teleporterbadboy.png?t=1218675504

aside from the fact there are massive UVWerrors, any tips on how to make a texture less 'plastic' looking?

Disaster
August 13th, 2008, 08:18 PM
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/echo216/battleship-1.jpg
Still a major WIP

ExAm
August 13th, 2008, 10:51 PM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p307/sgtbotley/teleporterbadboy.png?t=1218675504

aside from the fact there are massive UVWerrors, any tips on how to make a texture less 'plastic' looking?Add a shader and a few metallic scratches?

Heathen
August 13th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Malloy: Looks like a beyblade rink thing or a pokemon stadium.

Rentafence
August 13th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I think it's supposed to be the teleporter base from Chillout

Con
August 13th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Soft highlights and shadows, and lack of detail make it look plasticy. Just go look at some metallic surfaces on google vs plastic ones, you'll see the difference. Scratches are another good way to show it's metal, since plastic just dents or gouges and remains the same colour.

Malloy
August 14th, 2008, 07:54 AM
thanks i'll see what i can do http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p307/sgtbotley/awsomesmilie.png

p.s its cold storage decor, not chill out...

chill outs like an 8 faced shelter with a green teleporter thing added.

Rob Oplawar
August 14th, 2008, 11:12 AM
o.O where did that smiley come from?

Con
August 14th, 2008, 12:06 PM
the internets

kill it

Malloy
August 14th, 2008, 02:33 PM
lawl its awsome, leave it alone.

it was on a user created deviant art page, so i cut out all of the smileys and saved them to a theme for my MSN :P

edit: http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p307/sgtbotley/csthemescale-1.png?t=1218748637
i think it looks more Halo 3-ish now

Disaster
August 14th, 2008, 06:00 PM
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/echo216/battleshipdone.jpg

Chainsy
August 14th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I need some suggestions on the head, as I want to redo it.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/hammycopy.jpg

Con
August 14th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I like the hammer part, but the blade needs to be redone. Also, bright green doesn't belong on it, try a dark glowing green.

Heathen
August 14th, 2008, 11:07 PM
D: It....Should....Die.

I dont like the color scheme. The picture hurts my brain. Try not going for SUCH a different color scheme.

Chainsy
August 14th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Im sorry im color blind in green and yellow, thought it was gold. Also I am redoing blade, and Im going to make head/ blade/ grips be made out of jade, with black ingravings/ pole.

Higuy
August 14th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Battle ship is auesome disaster!

Sever
August 15th, 2008, 12:09 AM
No, his battleship isn't. Don't get me wrong, the model's not bad at all, the functionality of the design is simply horrible. If he would've taken an hour to look at actual photos and schematics before trying to model one, the current stage of his product would make sense. I can tell you straight off that none of the turret clusters are even close to being efficient, and the main cannon is just atrociously set up. Seriously, Disaster, take a bit of time to study what you are attempting to emulate - learn how things work, and why they are made that way. Talk to me about it if you need help.

Bastinka
August 15th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Malloy's teleporter thing is pretty neat, just needs some more metallic look to the texture.

Disaster your battleship looks kind of goofy and cartoony, I don't like it very much it's just missing something..

Chains your hammer lacks dimension (I.E. It looks flat and boring.) and the color scheme is off. Theres also too many random brush strokes and the shading is done wrong.. or the attempt at it atleast.

ExAm
August 15th, 2008, 04:41 AM
No, his battleship isn't. Don't get me wrong, the model's not bad at all, the functionality of the design is simply horrible. If he would've taken an hour to look at actual photos and schematics before trying to model one, the current stage of his product would make sense. I can tell you straight off that none of the turret clusters are even close to being efficient, and the main cannon is just atrociously set up. Seriously, Disaster, take a bit of time to study what you are attempting to emulate - learn how things work, and why they are made that way. Talk to me about it if you need help.Er, I don't think he's trying to emulate any specific battleship in particular :|
I like the design, it looks stylized without regard for practicality. My kind of thing. I make belt fed sniper rifles :downs:

Chainsy
August 15th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Malloy's teleporter thing is pretty neat, just needs some more metallic look to the texture.

Disaster your battleship looks kind of goofy and cartoony, I don't like it very much it's just missing something..

Chains your hammer lacks dimension (I.E. It looks flat and boring.) and the color scheme is off. Theres also too many random brush strokes and the shading is done wrong.. or the attempt at it atleast.
You seem to mix up what Im doing here, Im doing a side reference for easy modeling, and front and a top and bottom, why would I make it an annoying angle for the modeler to do? Also painting for this does not require full details such as making it the engravings detailed, as you can tell theyre ingravings, and uh last time I checked paintings are made up of brush strokes. Maybe you should go look at some paintings, and zoom in on them, and youll see random lines, that from far away for things such as fire, clothes, alot of things. Also we already mentioned about color scheme, if you read my post and there was no need to state it again. Please by all means show us some of your recent work and if its better then mine with perspective, shading, dimension, not made out brush strokes, then Ill happily shut up.

Corndogman
August 15th, 2008, 10:05 PM
This whole "fancy camera" thing is a misconception. You don't need a fancy camera to take good photos. A fancy camera, like, say an SLR allows you to be more creative because of technical freedom, as well as producing higher quality images.

Check this guy out, these were taken with a cameraphone. Sure he'll never get good prints from them, but they sure look great online. http://flickr.com/photos/davidhelan/sets/1304592/

Your photos aren't bad, I like the waterfall one and the one of the wood beam.

Yeah I know what you mean about the camera, but I've used my friends nice SLR cameras and it definitely feels better. but im obsessed with high res. thats one thing i like about my camera its 12mp so the images are usually really sharp.

Yeah those are two of my favorites too. Thanks for the compliments and crit guys.

Reaper Man
August 15th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Yeah I know what you mean about the camera, but I've used my friends nice SLR cameras and it definitely feels better. but im obsessed with high res. thats one thing i like about my camera its 12mp so the images are usually really sharp.

Yeah those are two of my favorites too. Thanks for the compliments and crit guys.
Megapixels mean nothing. Once you have a camera that's over five megapixels, the others are pretty unnecessary, unless you plan on making really really large prints. 12mp ≠ sharpness, 12mp = higher pixel density = increased noise due to tiny point and shoot sensor (12mp on DSLR used to mean more noise, however, with current generations of DSLR, noise doesn't become a major issue until you start pushing your ISO past 3200 - Nikon D700/D3 are exceptions to this due to full frame sensors). Lens quality is way more important than sensor resolution.

DaneO'Roo
August 17th, 2008, 05:09 AM
http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/6236/preacher1zj3.jpg
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4779/preacher2gv5.jpg

Haven't started the hair properly yet, and I've gotta hit the team up for the correct shade of everything (not sure on the colour of the leathers). He's sposed to be a kind of "god bless satan!" nutcase cold wierdo preacher, so he's gotta look seedy. He also houses the 2 revolvers I showed in my gallery thread. (http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9095/revolvers2un0.jpg) I also haven't done the gun holsters either yet, not sure if the team wants them ornamented to represent the guns, or just plain old leather or something.

Personally I think whoever on the team did the hi res for the normal map, didn't put much effort into the hair >_>

OmegaDragon
August 17th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Looks awesome so far, though the back side looks kinda flat, unless that is going to be changed in game to make it move freely (at least I think that's for a game o.o)

Bodzilla
August 17th, 2008, 05:42 AM
He's very very flat.

DaneO'Roo
August 17th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Looks awesome so far, though the back side looks kinda flat, unless that is going to be changed in game to make it move freely (at least I think that's for a game o.o)

Coat tails are handled by physics.

Rob Oplawar
August 17th, 2008, 02:51 PM
He's very very flat.
quote for emphasis.
e: skin is decent, but imo it doesn't make up for what is a very boring model. Maybe when he's moving, with the coat tails trailing behind him, but in the default biped working pose it's just... boring. Looks like, fuck how do you spell it, Gumby? Gumbi? He just has that artificial, smoothed-clay feel to him.

DaneO'Roo
August 17th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Actually the ambient occlusion made him look quite flat, cause it sort of softened the normal map a fair bit, but added a bit of realism to the lighting.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5836/preachershadelessoy9.jpg

Rendered the same scene, without the ambient occlusion and the textures.

Higuy
August 17th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Looks really good.

Bastinka
August 17th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I'ma shootin tha sheriff.

Kalub
August 17th, 2008, 07:47 PM
You gunna shoot the deputy D:?

Also, this should get you in the mood Dano

I_YDgRtdP6w

Watch it all for crazy inspiration, and stuffs. I love this game, all the characters are so....

DaneO'Roo
August 17th, 2008, 08:38 PM
ooh that game looks cool.

Heathen
August 17th, 2008, 11:37 PM
When is it coming out :lol:

When I saw the commercials for "Death Race" I was soooo hoping it was a twisted metal movie.

SnaFuBAR
August 18th, 2008, 01:20 AM
looks pretty interesting, dano.

DaneO'Roo
August 18th, 2008, 02:17 AM
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/9650/preacher1dy1.jpg
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4761/preacher3hd2.jpg
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/5086/preacherdiffuseox3.jpg

Gotta tweak the hair a bit more cause I don't like it right now, but other than that it's nearly done.

Also, first person arms:

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/9405/fparms1oc3.jpg

ExAm
August 18th, 2008, 02:26 AM
mister preacher cowboy needs to be rendered brighter. I cant' see the details :|

DaneO'Roo
August 18th, 2008, 02:35 AM
fine :(

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6223/preacher1db9.jpg

ExAm
August 18th, 2008, 03:23 AM
much better sir

Reaper Man
August 18th, 2008, 04:00 AM
His skin seems way too smooth, I think you should try a more textured, rugged look, as his perfect skin seems out of place with the rest of the character.

DaneO'Roo
August 18th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Well, I figured his clothes would be dirty and worn and not his face cause clothes don't heal and repair themselves. I could add some dirt and grease to his face I guess, but I just don't want it to totally take away from him. He's not sposed to be a grubby man, hes just a creepy preacher who has hidden motives with the satanic.

www.warmgun.ca

If you read up on the premise of the mods backstory, It may make more sense. I will try and grub up his face though just to see if I like it.

Bodzilla
August 18th, 2008, 05:50 AM
no you dont need to make his face dirty, just more weathered. If he's wearing clothes like that then he's clearly spent toom uch time out doors and in the sun.
needs a more tarnished face to suit him

ICEE
August 18th, 2008, 08:31 PM
he's very pale. Also, his hat looks to perfect. I would make it a little more worn and weathered. Think indiana jones

Heathen
August 18th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Yeah, hat.

ExAm
August 18th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Pretty much final renders of my APC (Better be final, I spent forever on that scene >:( )

Don't mind the shadows, they kinda look like smoothing errors or junk polygons but they're not. Some of them curiously appear to be physically impossible :/
E: guh, gonna try to fix those >_<
E: first fixed render done, working on the rest
E: All fixed renders up
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee6/TheExAm/apcrender-1.jpg
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee6/TheExAm/apcside.jpg
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee6/TheExAm/apcrenderbackright-1.jpg
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee6/TheExAm/apcgun-1.jpg
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee6/TheExAm/apcinside-2.jpg
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee6/TheExAm/apccockpit.jpg

Con
August 18th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I like the design style, every element of the vehicle goes along with it.

edit: fff, if I could rep you I would.

Heathen
August 18th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Ill do it for you Con.

E: Shit I cant either D:

NuggetWarmer
August 18th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Wtc, I can't give you rep either. >:| Must spread rep...

thehoodedsmack
August 19th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I shall rep the boy...

Bodzilla
August 19th, 2008, 06:25 AM
beat cha

thehoodedsmack
August 19th, 2008, 06:30 AM
ZILLAAAAAAA!!!! :mad:

Snowy
August 19th, 2008, 09:54 PM
rep me too while you're at it.

:)

I only have two bars :(

BobtheGreatII
August 19th, 2008, 10:03 PM
rep me too while you're at it.

:)

I only have two bars :(

I have one. stfu :smithicide:

Although I might have more if I had posted any other work I've done since my Mac 11 clear back when I first joined. :eyesroll: But it's all hush hush... kind of... maybe I'll post some stuff and get hit by the crit hammer that is Modacity. :tinfoil:

DEElekgolo
August 19th, 2008, 11:39 PM
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/3719/headshotzc0.jpg

rossmum
August 19th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Rifle butt should be in contact with shoulder, should be leaning into rifle, etc.

DEElekgolo
August 19th, 2008, 11:54 PM
He is leaning into the rifle.. I made sure of that using IK solvers. If rifle butt touches the shoulder then the arm would be at a very acute angle and the gun would go through the chest permution.

rossmum
August 20th, 2008, 01:49 AM
He's not leaning into it, look at his spine; he's leaning away from it.

ExAm
August 20th, 2008, 02:15 AM
His eyes are kinda far away from the scope, don'tcha think?

ICEE
August 20th, 2008, 03:15 AM
what are you asking for criticism on? your ripped model or the bad positioning?

JunkfoodMan
August 20th, 2008, 06:53 AM
His rendering/materials, and the position perhaps?

PenGuin1362
August 20th, 2008, 08:32 AM
He's not leaning into it, look at his spine; he's leaning away from it.

Ross is right. If you were to try and fire a .50 caliber rifle like that, not only would your shoulder be so bruised you might break the skin open, you would be knocked flat on your ass. Armor aside, he should be leaning forward and the rifle needs to make contact with his shoulder otherwise it just looks natural and retarded.

rossmum
August 20th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Unnatural, you mean, and it's actually 14.5mm so that'd be even worse :p

ICEE
August 20th, 2008, 02:22 PM
DEE, its ok for the rifle to clip his shoulder a little bit for the sake of realism in the pose. as long as its not incredibly obvious no one will notice.

Pooky
August 20th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I have no idea how someone could see through that ugly fucking helmet anyway.

ICEE
August 20th, 2008, 02:30 PM
How couldn't you? the visor is big enough for a fucking shark tank. A little offtopic, but how does that make the helmet equally as protective as the helmets that are actually made of metal?

Pooky
August 20th, 2008, 02:31 PM
How couldn't you? the visor is big enough for a fucking shark tank.

My bad, I meant see through a scope in that ugly fucking helmet :p

Seems like even if you mashed the scope against the visor it'd still be pretty far away from your actual eyes.

ICEE
August 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM
oh, yes. I don't think a single helmet in the game would really allow you to get close to the scope. Maybe thats why you can zoom in 5x when you don't have a scoped weapon and only 2x when you do. sniper excluded

ExAm
August 20th, 2008, 02:44 PM
oh, yes. I don't think a single helmet in the game would really allow you to get close to the scope. Maybe thats why you can zoom in 5x when you don't have a scoped weapon and only 2x when you do. sniper excludedProlly why that particular rifle comes equipped with a screen :v:

BobtheGreatII
August 20th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I always just figured that the zoom was displayed in the hud, and not from actually looking through the scope... I thought the scope was only there for the marines. :eyesroll:

Not saying that that's the case, just what I always thought.

ExAm
August 20th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Right you are, smart-linked it is.

BobtheGreatII
August 20th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Switching up the topic a bit, here's some pictures of stuff I've made for Entropy. Yes, I can see some errors, and these models are not going in game, I'll make lower poly versions to go in game. These are mostly for look. But let me know what you guys think.
*Pics from Entropy page on ModDB (http://www.moddb.com/games/entropy/news/ceratotherium-simum)*
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9254/mairsx6.pnghttp://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4916/rhinoau1.pnghttp://img372.imageshack.us/img372/6470/rhinoml1.png

thehoodedsmack
August 20th, 2008, 04:37 PM
The gun almost looks like it should be made by NERF... The tank(?) looks pretty dope, though.

BobtheGreatII
August 20th, 2008, 04:39 PM
The gun almost looks like it should be made by NERF... The tank(?) looks pretty dope, though.

Lol I guess so... and it's an APC.

Corndogman
August 20th, 2008, 07:03 PM
The gun seems a little short to me. Like if you had your left hand on the front grip, and your right hand at the trigger, your arms would be in a very uncomfortable position.

Rentafence
August 20th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Guess what gun I'm making and you get an amazing 2 points of rep

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/rentafence/3d-Models/nice_try_cheater.jpg

Con
August 20th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Browning M1903

Rentafence
August 20th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Very similar, but no.

ExAm
August 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM
well it sure as hell ain't a Colt 1911

Heathen
August 20th, 2008, 08:37 PM
This one?

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/rentafence/3d-Models/nice_try_cheater.jpg
Did I guess right?

I am on to you. Nice try cheater.

Rentafence
August 20th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Thought you were slick huh? :haw:

Heathen
August 20th, 2008, 09:01 PM
You muhmuhmuhmuhmuhmake me happy :haw:

Corndogman
August 20th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Its a Pistol! Did I get it right?

PenGuin1362
August 20th, 2008, 11:21 PM
makarov hurrr

Rentafence
August 20th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Lol no makarov here, try again. I'll give you a hint, it's Soviet, it's name ends in V , and the polish version doesn't have the scalloped serrations on the slide.

E- I suck at renders >_<

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/rentafence/3d-Models/why_would_it_work_the_second_time_cheater.jpg

PenGuin1362
August 20th, 2008, 11:28 PM
shit not makarov i meant tokarev i always confuse those two >_<

stupid fuckin russians and their gay names

ExAm
August 21st, 2008, 12:14 AM
That magazine looks pretty awkward. Check your refs.

rossmum
August 21st, 2008, 12:53 AM
Woo, TT-33.

Could use some better renders, though :F

Chainsy
August 21st, 2008, 01:51 PM
Well, after 3 days of work and planning, its almost done. It has eight moving parts, and all that I need to add is the ammo belt and stand. This thing will never go ingame, as I suck at building up models, so my wireframe is horrible and has a shitload of wasted polies, its over 4000 tris.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/betafinalrender.jpg

Malloy
August 21st, 2008, 02:04 PM
i suppose using that model as a concept, someone else could replicate that model in a gamecompile and poly friendly way.

looks nice just looks like it could do with some smoothing and sight with the extrusions looks a tad ugly.

Higuy
August 21st, 2008, 02:16 PM
Needs more smoothing and it would look at lot better.

Chainsy
August 21st, 2008, 02:20 PM
Yes, no smoothing has been apllied yet, and for the scope it just seemed bland, and I didnt know what detail I could really put on it, so I just did that.

Malloy
August 21st, 2008, 02:43 PM
sometimes too many cooks spoil a broth.

i think it'd look nice with a slight gradient change on it mb? so it cones towards the middle.

Chainsy
August 21st, 2008, 02:56 PM
Like a sniper scope? This scope isnt for veiwing straight from the eye, though you can, the monitor hooked inbetween the handles lets you see out of those scopes, the smaller one being infared, also has a panel for various commands. This also allows compatibility for mounting on apcs, with the pasenger controlling it through remote control inside of apc, using the monitor to see through the scopes and properly aim. Your probably wondering why else I did this, the gun has a large recoil, and the shells eject out of the back, so your positioned beside the gun, so the monitor and scope help you aim better with the scope being closer to the middle. Also keeps you form straining oyur back leaning over the equipment to look at the scope.

DEElekgolo
August 21st, 2008, 04:18 PM
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4425/novainvert2wd7.gif
Original
http://deelekgolo.deviantart.com/art/Nova-95572685
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/6774/novainvertze6.gifhttp://www.modacity.net/forums/%5Bimg%5Dhttp://img159.imageshack.us/img159/5640/novadz2.jpg%5B/img%5D%20%5Bimg%5Dhttp://img184.imageshack.us/img184/6774/novainvertze6.gif%5B/img%5D%20%5Bimg%5Dhttp://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4425/novainvert2wd7.gif%5B/img%5D

Rob Oplawar
August 21st, 2008, 04:34 PM
Fractals are awesome. How did you make that?

I started writing something in Javascript to dynamically draw fractals on a web page until the end of time, but I got bored and never finished.

DEElekgolo
August 21st, 2008, 04:36 PM
Apophysis. Sierpinski and Julian and added a little spherical before I rendered.

Rentafence
August 21st, 2008, 04:39 PM
Done.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/rentafence/3d-Models/tt33.jpg

rossmum
August 21st, 2008, 07:22 PM
Sights seem a tad off to me.

Bastinka
August 21st, 2008, 08:58 PM
Grip area seems very plain, or it could be the gun without a texture.

Rentafence
August 21st, 2008, 08:59 PM
The latter

http://www.a-human-right.com/pistols/tt33left.jpg

Bastinka
August 21st, 2008, 09:28 PM
So it is a plain gun. Nice model then.

rossmum
August 21st, 2008, 09:43 PM
Oh, and don't put the safety on, whatever you do. TT-33s don't have a safety, but they have to have one added to be imported to the US (also hence the the stampings on the slide, which aren't Russian by any stretch of the imagination). One of the reasons the TT was so reliable was that it lacked a safety catch.

Rentafence
August 22nd, 2008, 12:21 AM
Too bad my model is gonna stay that whitish color. If only I could get it skinned somehow. :rolleyes:

rossmum
August 22nd, 2008, 01:24 AM
I could give it a shot, actually.

More practice I get the better.

Rentafence
August 22nd, 2008, 01:31 AM
Excellent. Since you're rather weapons savvy it should come out accurate to the real thing too. I'll UVW it tomorrow.

rossmum
August 22nd, 2008, 02:50 AM
Too bad I'm still pretty terrible at skinning. :F

Con
August 22nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
It was a trap :shake:

Chainsy
August 22nd, 2008, 10:08 PM
Well, after 3 days of work and planning, its almost done. It has eight moving parts, and all that I need to add is the ammo belt and stand. This thing will never go ingame, as I suck at building up models, so my wireframe is horrible and has a shitload of wasted polies, its over 4000 tris.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/betafinalrender.jpg
Ok to refresh your memory, that is a laav turret that will be on a fixed stand. I have also made another one, which is stripped down to be lighter and is a mobile one for carrying.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/aa-1.jpg
Because of it having a wide, short barrel and not a long straight out one,the bullet tends to bounce around before actually coming out, making the shell break and scatter, could flip large vehicles at point blank but further out it could only flip light vehicles such as mongooses and ghosts, and cause instability in warthogs. Think of it as a shotugn on steroids.Also, it has one special advantage, if you press ctrl, when you crouch you zoom in with the sights located in the center front of the gun, letting your acuracy increase by 2x, but the downside is that you cannot move, only rotate, making you easy pickings for snipers, and other infantry.

LinkandKvel
August 22nd, 2008, 10:26 PM
I see no rules against posting music....

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6828181 [/shamelesspromotion] again

Anton
August 23rd, 2008, 12:17 AM
Oh hey, sounds great! +Rep.

Nice sound before going to sleep eh? :-3

ICEE
August 23rd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Another valiant attempt by me.

spoilerd for gifiness
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z295/iron_clad_photo/animations/kandykorn.gif

The tube is somewhat badly rigged but i tried to hide that as best i could. the model is by a member here named donut. rep him greatly if you like it.

animation seems a little slower in the gif than it is in max.
E: im aware that the fuse clips the tank a little bit. I fixed it but i dont feel like re-rendering, turning it into a gif again and re-uploading.
EE: +rep if you can guess the map team this is for

CtrlAltDestroy
August 23rd, 2008, 01:02 PM
1. His motions look far too effortless and smooth. Particularly when he removes and replaces the fuel tank. Make the motions "snap" a bit.
2. Barring that he's some cybernetic freak, the way he holds the the weapon from the point where the removes the fuel tank to when he replaces it looks really awkward, as the distribution of the weight of the weapon is extremely unbalanced.
3. The finger positioning really makes my eyes bleed, but since you are using the h1 rig, which has terrible fingers, I'll let you slide on that one.
4. There are some points in the animation where the weapon just basically "floats", making it look unnatural.

PenGuin1362
August 23rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
Needs more slide grooves on the tt33

ICEE
August 23rd, 2008, 01:22 PM
1. His motions look far too effortless and smooth. Particularly when he removes and replaces the fuel tank. Make the motions "snap" a bit.
2. Barring that he's some cybernetic freak, the way he holds the the weapon from the point where the removes the fuel tank to when he replaces it looks really awkward, as the distribution of the weight of the weapon is extremely unbalanced.
3. The finger positioning really makes my eyes bleed, but since you are using the h1 rig, which has terrible fingers, I'll let you slide on that one.
4. There are some points in the animation where the weapon just basically "floats", making it look unnatural.
thanks for the criticism. I'll keep these things in mind when i go back over it. Some of the finger positioning problems are due to the fact that this thing is practically impossible to hold. none of the objects are really ergonomically designed except for the handles themselves.

Rentafence
August 23rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
Needs more slide grooves on the tt33

What do you mean more? I have the same amount as in the references I used. The picture I posted isn't the soviet TT33 with the scalloped groves.

E- Actually I think I see what you mean. I missed the groves in between the scalloped parts.

il Duce Primo
August 23rd, 2008, 04:32 PM
The way he holds the gun with one hand looks weird. And Sigma1337.

ICEE
August 23rd, 2008, 05:02 PM
The way he holds the gun with one hand looks weird. And Sigma1337.

given out to much rep in the last 24 hours. also, the FOV is a bit higher than it will be in game. Renders always do that. If anyone knows a way to fix that then please, share :)

CtrlAltDestroy
August 23rd, 2008, 05:08 PM
Viewport configuration -> safe frames -> "show safe frames in active view"

Use the blue box as reference. It wont show up in renders, but it's useful for setting up/tweaking origins.

ICEE
August 23rd, 2008, 06:11 PM
thanks

Pooky
August 23rd, 2008, 11:09 PM
it might be just me, but the way the left arm is positioned just doesn't look right. Feels like it's too far to the left.

ICEE
August 24th, 2008, 12:21 AM
No it isn't just you. the origin was really hard to set up without looking odd. it looks a little bit more awkward in the render than it will in game because of the increased FOV. in game it wont be visible past the elbow

Con
August 24th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Good, because I was thinking the same thing. Also, if you can, keep the reloading and stuff down low on the screen because I hate animations that obstruct your view of the game.

ICEE
August 24th, 2008, 03:08 AM
yeah I significantly lowered the weapon in all the frames aside from origin for that very reason. now you cant see the tube hanging as much <:(> but no great loss I guess. It shouldn't obstruct view too much now. Creating a unique melee animation for this thing is hard though. If anyone has any ideas...

Longshot
August 24th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Just trying to improve on my terrain, there was a lot of analysis through SparkEdit that helped me through it quite a lot but this was one of many that I'm the most proud of. Once I'm happy with it I've got an idea of what I'll add on to it.

So if someone could comment on how it was constructed I'd really appreciate it, I find terrain a bit tough.

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6093/mesh1sh0.png
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/697/mesh2sw7.png

Bastinka
August 24th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Suprisingly looks very nice! Keep up the good work. Seems like a natural formation to me.

Disaster
August 24th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Suprisingly looks very nice! Keep up the good work. Seems like a natural formation to me.
For some reason that path around the model is turning me off but the rest looks ok.

Disaster
August 24th, 2008, 06:10 PM
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/echo216/OHAI-1.jpg
Model that I dug up today and worked on a bit.
E: crap, Double post

Malloy
August 24th, 2008, 06:41 PM
looks like it needs more refning but nice layout :thumbs up:

Snowy
August 24th, 2008, 09:15 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/snowysnowcones/challenger.jpg

Yeaaahh.. still a WIP.

E: lol forgot the 'e' in Dodge

Heathen
August 24th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Owned by that e.

NuggetWarmer
August 25th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Worked on my Gordon Freeman biped some more. Ignore the arms and legs. Those are just there for sizing purposes.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u27/foxymccloud/Modeling/HEVSuitWithDummy2.jpg
Something seems 'off' about his face. Man, it's too bad I don't have the full version of FaceGen, otherwise I'd import the almost perfect Freeman head I made with it. :(

ExAm
August 25th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Yeah, he has a van dyke, not a goatee. More facial hair.

Heathen
August 25th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Less Kevin Pereira and more Freeman.

JunkfoodMan
August 25th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Looks like the Singer from the band "Hot Chip".
http://www.tomoxley.co.uk/photos/gallery_3/Alexis%28HotChip%29_Oxley_1.jpg

Con
August 25th, 2008, 12:22 PM
That guy is def cool with his green glasses

Rentafence
August 25th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Fixed some stuff and added some stuff. It's done now at 3045 triangles.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/rentafence/3d-Models/tt332.jpg

Malloy
August 25th, 2008, 12:42 PM
that grip looks ugly..., model is ace, im just saying if the origional gun has that grip its deffo ugly.

NuggetWarmer
August 25th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah, he has a van dyke, not a goatee. More facial hair.

I've only got his facial hair like that because he has way more beard hair than 'stache. I'm going to texture the 'stache on, and make the beard more 3D. I've also edited his face some, so he looks better now, but not completely Freeman. I think most of that has to do with the fact that he's untextured. I'll try and make it look like him as best I can.

Malloy
August 25th, 2008, 06:05 PM
lol im gettin there...
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p307/sgtbotley/terminalorbtest.jpg?t=1219705416

Heathen
August 25th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Terminal in ratrace? WOOOO....?

Malloy
August 25th, 2008, 06:23 PM
ha ha something like that...:secrative smilie:

ICEE
August 25th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Fixed some stuff and added some stuff. It's done now at 3045 triangles.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/rentafence/3d-Models/tt332.jpg

more detail on the cylinder that might be a silencer.

Rentafence
August 25th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Not a silencer. The slide is locked back. That's the barrel.

NuggetWarmer
August 25th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Here's Gordon's face as of now: http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u27/foxymccloud/Modeling/GordonFace.jpg
I finished the legs too.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u27/foxymccloud/Modeling/HEVSuitWithDummy3.jpg
I need to re-work the knees and his boots.

teh lag
August 25th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I dunno if it's just me, but the legs seem waaaaaaaay out of proportion 0_o

Heathen
August 25th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Why does he have a tape beard?

Roostervier
August 25th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Why does he have a tape beard?
He's going to make bitmaps with alphas and make the shaders alpha-tested so that it appears as though it's hair.

e: Also, yes, the legs are out of proportion. I agree with lag.

ICEE
August 25th, 2008, 07:12 PM
the legs look very stout. midget legs.

il Duce Primo
August 25th, 2008, 07:59 PM
He needs more meat on those thighs.

Con
August 25th, 2008, 08:03 PM
He needs more meat on those thighs.

Snowy
August 25th, 2008, 09:47 PM
That quote scares me.

Con
August 25th, 2008, 11:02 PM
It shouldn't

Kalub
August 26th, 2008, 12:27 AM
See if this helps:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d10/Urashima100/007_muscles.jpg

tommy92L
August 26th, 2008, 05:12 AM
As for mee, I stopped machinima, too many flames, harrasment, so what I did was just try other things. I love christmas, so I said "Hey why not make a christmas card."

YouTube - Christmas Card Thing2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuMl59l6ua4)

Malloy
August 26th, 2008, 06:16 AM
too much 'you'. not enough 'christmas'

tommy92L
August 26th, 2008, 10:27 AM
LOL< well I can always replace that text..wait nvm no I cant lol

Malloy
August 26th, 2008, 02:43 PM
small Update:
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p307/sgtbotley/terminalorbtest.jpg?t=1219779759

tommy92L
August 26th, 2008, 03:05 PM
awesome!!!

Disaster
August 26th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Looks pretty neat. :P