PDA

View Full Version : Water and its Effects

ItsMeTerror
April 29th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Hey guys I was wondering if there is a way to make the water ripple when you walk through it? I have not seen any water do that since Ive played halo at least I don't think I recall seeing any.

Also if thats possible would it be possible to make the water ripple if rain was to hit it?

Kornman00
April 29th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Since the water isn't even actual geometry, you wouldn't be able to do it without some kind of hacked up method (not a software hack mind you). Maybe look into how the splash from a projectile is created and see if you can cause those effects but clip the effect to always go sideways instead of into the air...

ItsMeTerror
April 29th, 2008, 04:13 PM
So if I wanted it to splash I would have to have a marker. That is part of MC, so when you walk into the water it splashes.. I need help setting that up.

EDIT: So I see that there is a "water ripple" particle. So would there be a possible way to attack the particle to water and make it if the cyborg walks through it, it goes off and makes the water ripples.

ItsMeTerror
April 30th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Sorry for the double post but I want to bump thread so you can help me out.
O.k. is it possible to make water like this?
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/6334/waterlikethislr5.jpg

Now is it possible to make the water push you the direction of its down flow? Like drag there we go. Also could it be possible to make it make you walk slower when your in the water?

itszutak
April 30th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Nope.

All water is in halo is a textured, collisionless plane.

With the right bump maps, you could make it look like that, however.

MetKiller Joe
April 30th, 2008, 10:13 AM
If you want water like that, move to another engine. People like CrowPath have pushed the engine to the limits, but in all honesty, that kind of work would take a year to completely remake the look (given other responsibilites), which isn't all that pratical (the same thing in a more advanced engine is practically built-in).

Sorry, long answer for a rather simple question, but yes, if you just wanted the water to be realistic, you'd move some particle effects around in Guerrilla, and make better bumps. The problem with this approach is that you'd need dynamic lighting (I think?) and that, in Halo CE, usually results in a loss of performance.

Scooby Doo
April 30th, 2008, 01:56 PM
well...you could make it "flow" i guess with scenery...but that wouldn't sync i don't think. sounds like what you want is a bucket of lag. lol.

But like he said -- Halo's engine really wasn't made to have cool water effects. simple as that. But you can try to make it look really aesthetic if you'd like.

~Scooby

SuperSunny
April 30th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Yep, it can't happen. I've played around with Water for too long and a plane with a shader is all it really is. :(

ItsMeTerror
April 30th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Ok thanks guys, Im going to try hard to learn gurilla agian. Ever since that first Mario map I've made I havnt fooled with Halo's stuff much. Im really pushing myself to get this multiplayer map out by the end of my summer. Im not going to release any further information other than its W.I.P. when it gets to a decent percentage done I will be glad to show some spoilers. I just want to get as realistic as I can. I by no means DO NOT want to do crysis's engine its not the best multiplayer game.

I want to learn Hammer and Source engine. I think I may take some looks into it this summer some time.

Zeph
April 30th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Nope.

With the right bump multipurpose maps and a very slight bump map, you could make it look like that, however.

ftfy