PDA

View Full Version : [ALPHA] Rocks And Shoals

MMFSdjw
April 30th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Ok, a map for you.

I have exstensivly tested this layout in the Ut3 version (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9345) but have yet to test it with other people (hint hint).

So the only thing here that is even close to being done is the layout.
Spawn placement and item placement have been yoinked from the unreal version but seeing as how different the gameplay is between the two it is completly open to change, as is the geometry and layout.

I'm heading out shortly but I'll be back in a few hours if yall might be up for a game.

It's important to note, this map has NOT been designed for CTF. Flags are in the map but only to prevent exeptions. I'll try to make CTF not completely suck but it's not high on my prioritys. Slayer and team slayer are of the foremost concern along with odd ball and King.

Soooo..... yeah.

DOWNLOAD (http://www.wku.edu/~wilkidj/maps/rocks_and_shoals_alpha_a.rar)

NuggetWarmer
April 30th, 2008, 05:28 PM
See the UT3 version, it's basically the same thing. IE: The mine shaft levels on the old-school Super Nintendo Donkey Kong games.

MMFSdjw
April 30th, 2008, 08:26 PM
umm... ok that was a remarkably unhelpful post.

SgtBotley
May 1st, 2008, 04:32 AM
lol, the UT3 version looks intruguing because it has better lighting than what i can expect from the Halo Engine...i only wish i had UT3 to enjoy this map, GJ

MMFSdjw
May 1st, 2008, 10:49 AM
*sigh* Now I wish I hadn't mentioned the ut3 version.
Ok I should mention that the halo version will not feature the same theme. It will be 100% forerunner. Right now it's just basic flat walls with no details at all because I want to make sure the layout is finalized before i do any of that.

The reason I made this post if because I need your help to test the layout and item/spawn placment before I move on any further.

Both version need to be tested with real players. And I really need yall's help on this.

LlamaMaster
May 1st, 2008, 11:23 AM
Pics?

MMFSdjw
May 1st, 2008, 12:30 PM
http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v237/30/120/41113111/n41113111_34110468_3508.jpg

SgtBotley
May 1st, 2008, 02:25 PM
not what i was expecting from seeing the UT3 version

MMFSdjw
May 1st, 2008, 02:26 PM
the layout is the same but the theme will be completely different.

LlamaMaster
May 1st, 2008, 02:40 PM
I can't see any resemblance at all.

SgtBotley
May 1st, 2008, 03:02 PM
should be called, Hang'EmLow

MMFSdjw
May 1st, 2008, 03:18 PM
lol, well the layout is the same. To build the ut3 version I simply exported that exact model into ut3, gave it per-poly collision and then replaced it piece by piece.

Yall think we could set up a game sometime soon to test the halo version?

TeeKup
May 1st, 2008, 03:34 PM
TeeKup doesn't like Alpha's.

MMFSdjw
May 1st, 2008, 03:38 PM
*sigh* All I want to do it test my damn level.
I can't do it alone.
Alpha's are a neccessary part of the process.

Disaster
May 1st, 2008, 03:43 PM
Extrude whore FTW!

MMFSdjw
May 1st, 2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks disaster. Real classy.
You're a credit to this community

MMFSdjw
May 3rd, 2008, 01:11 PM
so I guess this means noone wants to acctualy be helpful and play the damn thing?

Scooby Doo
May 3rd, 2008, 10:59 PM
is this just a "pre-build-test" sorta deal?? like you make the basic layout(boxy with no details) just to test how the gameplay/layout is? and then later you're going to make a high-detailed version with all the eye candy? alot of good mod teams do this before wasting alot of time on a failure.

~Scoob

MMFSdjw
May 4th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Yes, that's exactly what this is.
I want to make sure the layout works before I put hours and hours into adding detail.
I appologize if that wasn't clear in the first post.

Elite Killa
May 4th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I know you might be thinking on doing what I'm about to say, but if you weren't, here it is: I would put more variety on the textures. It's all basically one texture slapped onto the whole thing. But I know right now you're basically focusing on layout instead of detail. Just saying.

MMFSdjw
May 4th, 2008, 12:29 AM
oh yes, most definatly. right now the onyl purpose in the textures is to make it easier to tell the difference between the ground and the walls.

MMFSdjw
May 5th, 2008, 01:35 PM
So yall think we could set up a game sometime?

Scooby Doo
May 7th, 2008, 03:33 PM
i would join and play. i would even help ya out with any modeling/unwrapping/texturing if you needed it. but, sadly, i can't really say too much about the layout because i have a terrible time myself making good layouts <- which is what you're looking for...

~Scoob

Lateksi
May 7th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Umm, Rocks And Shoals reminds me of mining facility, like the UT3 version of this map. Is it going to look like it was a forerunner mining facility? Maybe this was a stupid question though, didn't take the time to read all the posts.

MMFSdjw
May 7th, 2008, 05:06 PM
not a stupid question. For the theme of this, I'm thinking of it being like the lowest part of a large forerunner city. I indend to have large towering structures all around this.
I had thought about changing the name to better fit the new theme but for now I'm sticking with this.
I'm heading out and will be back in about 3 hours or so.
That'll be about 8pm CST. Would anyone be up for game then?

Pooky
May 7th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I'm downloading, but I don't have a whole lot of time to play lately. I'll PM you when I've got some.

Pooky
May 9th, 2008, 03:53 PM
oi, I've got some time now if you're interested.

MMFSdjw
May 9th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Well dang it. Shows you what good timeing I have.
Well I'm only free for the next half hour.
Thanks for trying.

Limited
May 9th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I cant play MP, bloody firewall!

But I can have a blast with a LAN game being a larry and give you some feedback if you think that will help :)

Btw nice portfolio.

MMFSdjw
May 9th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Being a larry?

Any feedback on layout, weapon/spawn placment, would be appriciated.