PDA

View Full Version : Good Modeling Tutorial?

Assault&Battery
May 5th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Hello, I was wondering if anyone can link me to a good modeling/texturing tutorial site. I have 3DS Max 8 and Adobe Photoshop CS2.
I have a copy of the HEK, and I found plenty of tutorials for mapmaking on "Ghost's Tutorial Resource" (http://ghost.halomaps.org/tutorials/), linked from Halomaps.org, I just need to find a GOOD modeling tutorial. A good bitmap-making tutorial would be nice as well. I have made maps for different games on the Unreal engine before, but every engine has different techniques, so I was wondering if I needed any special modeling tutorials for vehicles and whatnot, as Ghost's site only covers mapmaking.
I had a skinner help me out in the past, but he's gone now, moved on to the Source engine, so a good bitmap-making tutorial would help me wonders.

Thank you, and any help will be much appreciated.

ItsMeTerror
May 5th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Teach yourself, thats what [strike]most[strike] all the people here are going to say.

Gwunty
May 5th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Teach yourself, thats what [strike]most[strike] all the people here are going to say.
I totally disagree, tutorials are essential. Now what type of modeling tutorial are you looking for? Tutorials could range from modeling weapons to modeling terrain.

Assault&Battery
May 5th, 2008, 08:34 PM
/Fail
I totally disagree, tutorials are essential. Now what type of modeling tutorial are you looking for? Tutorials could range from modeling weapons to modeling terrain.
Agreed, I tried to teach myself on an older game I used to model for (Star Wars: Jedi Academy), and I failed horribly.

It's gun/vehicle modeling I could use a hand in; I can model terrain just fine. It's not a standard method, it's mostly me messing around until I get something I like, then cleaning up afterwards, but it works. I take it the Blam! engine has the standard sealed world rules?

Also, from what I have read, this engine does not allow for the use of bump maps. Is this true, and, if it is, can bumps be faked?

Gwunty
May 5th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Yes the blam! engine dose use the standard sealed world rules. You can use bump maps but only on .shader_enviorments ,For guns and everything else (.shader_models) You must fake bump. Now for a tutorial on weapons modeling I recommend you use the bettera 900(? not sure of the name :p) tutorial ill look for it and post a link in a second.

PenGuin1362
May 5th, 2008, 08:48 PM

That is what no one will say. Most of us are self taught but some people got a good start with tutorials. And even those self taught recommend tutorials, like myself. And I recommend this tutorial. Also l2strike.

http://www.moddb.com/tutorials/23868/beretta-9000-video-tutorial

Your first few models will most likely be pretty bad, but post your work and we'll help you with certain methods. Also criticism is usually pretty harsh >_>. But give that tutorial a try. Also yes, sealed world rules apply for the blam! engine

LlamaMaster
May 5th, 2008, 09:23 PM
The above tutorial is by far the best. Pretty much single handedly converted me from a noob into something useful. If you want structural stuff, check out the link in my sig. Yes it's my tutorial, but if anybody can post a link to a better one please do...

Assault&Battery
May 5th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks a lot guys!

The gun tutorial looks a little lengthy, but I can probably handle it.

And I take it you mean the top link, LlamaMaster, not the one with that guy who dressed in drag, lol.

Kalub
May 5th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Ghosts tutorial resources are excellent, they pretty much cover anything you want within development of HaloCE

Assault&Battery
May 6th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I'm surprised; most of this stuff seems pretty easy.

And I'm only halfway through the video, but why had no one thought of this before? "Plane modeling" as he called it? This would have done WONDERS if I knew about it sooner. I've been working with boxes and splines.

Matooba
May 6th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Well ive got some modeling tuts for yah. Ive been finding what i can.
Make sure to check out the edit poly one. It shows some really good shortcuts. Also, I have about 12 more to add to it.

Modeling tutorials: http://moddercentral.com/Tutorial/3dsmax_video_tuts.html

PenGuin1362
May 6th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Most of those are a littler complex for his current experience, not to mention normal mapping is about the only useful one in there for the halo engine.

Patrickssj6
May 6th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Maybe you should add that those are the 3ds max demonstrations and not your tutorials like most people would assume visiting that site.

Llama Juice
May 6th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Yea, I took a look at that link Matooba and there isn't really anything that relates to actual modeling.... neat links though

Matooba
May 6th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Well Edit poly is a great shortcut helper when modeling. I have a few others Ive put together myself. I will get those up as well.
Also, I'm thinking of signing up for animations class with Shawn Kelly. http://www.animationmentor.com/tipsandtricks/replay.html
He worked on animations for the movie Transformers.

Assault&Battery
May 6th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Hmm... Sounds interesting, I'll look into it.

Also, is there any good tutorials for making bitmaps in Adobe Photoshop CS2? I found one on Ghost's Tutorial resource, but it was mistitled, for it covered Paintshop, not Photoshop.

If not, I'll have to see if I can make some friends within the community and see if they can make bitmaps for me; or, better yet, teach me how.
"Give a man of fish and he won't starve for a day; Teach him how to fish and he won't starve for a lifetime."

It may be asking a bit much, but you guys have been great so far; I've been practicing working with Plane modeling all day. Thanks a bunch!

kid908
May 7th, 2008, 08:26 AM
me personally i find that psp and ps to be quite similar when making textures for your model. might want to watch it and try to follow along with him in ps. also i might try out those videos at modding central. they seem interesting. looks more for movie making but it seem interesting to me.

Assault&Battery
May 7th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I didn't look at the tutorial; I saw the name and just went "Nope!".

I'll take a look and see if it helps any.

Mass
May 7th, 2008, 05:49 PM
heres one for cliffs
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?p=197145#post197145

Assault&Battery
May 7th, 2008, 05:51 PM
heres one for cliffs
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?p=197145#post197145
Oh, wow, thanks!

Also, here's the newest version of my cliffs. I would like to thank Massacre for linking me to the tutorial used to fix my cliffs, and Tweek for making said tutorial.
Credit for the bitmaps goes to Bungie studios, taken from the level B30 (The Silent Cartographer).
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/AssaultandBattery77/beach-3.jpg

Lateksi
May 8th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Yes nice cliffs there.
I'm going to try modeling, you got me into it =D

MetKiller Joe
May 8th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Hopefully, this isn't too off topic. When I'm modeling a level, or anything for the matter, I may want to UV a particular part, but this part happens to be part of the level. Now, if I change geometry of the level, the UVing changes on that particular part because the UV/Geometry coordinates were changed. Is there any way to prevent this? It would help a lot. This is related to good modeling in the sense that, without proper UVing, it won't matter how good the model is if the textures are misaligned (and by misaligned I mean horribly disfigured)..

Assault&Battery
May 8th, 2008, 08:12 PM
See, what I do is I get the model done first, then I UVW it. If I screw up the UVWs, I simply redo it.