PDA

View Full Version : Bad Sunburn

Wakeboy1337
May 13th, 2008, 01:46 PM
My girlfriend went wakeboarding with me last saturday and has gotten some horrible sunburn, her legs are a dark orange/red color and her face is lobster color.

Here's what worries me, every time we put something on her skin to help it get better it makes her hurt more and it makes it just look worse.

She's lived in Wisconsin for most of her life and now that she's in Florida I'm wondering if her body cant take the sun that well.

Should I take her to a skin doctor or is this jsut an extreme case of sunburn that will go away?

By the way, We did put sun screen on her, just not a high enough rating and not enough of it :/ Too late for that

Patrickssj6
May 13th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Go see a doctor, you can't go wrong with that. Also, what are you putting on her to make it better?

Jelly
May 13th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Try an Aloe Vera-based gel or cream. It works on EVERYTHING.

Wakeboy1337
May 13th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Tried, made her scream and didn't help

Go see a doctor, you can't go wrong with that. Also, what are you putting on her to make it better?

We cant go today but tomorrow morning if we can we will.

Aloe
Sunburn relief stuff
Vinegar (cant think it would help but her mom did it anyway)
I can imagine other things I dont know about but idk if she has or not

Caboos001
May 13th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Have you tryed tea tree oil? That stuff is great.

Atty
May 13th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Have her take a shower and scrub her skin hard with soap and water, it'll help, believe me.

Wakeboy1337
May 13th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Have you tryed tea tree oil? That stuff is great.

Havn't tried, how exactly will it help, she won't try unless I can tell her what it does to help.

Have her take a shower and scrub her skin hard with soap and water, it'll help, believe me.

I tried telling her that, I know it's gonna painful as fuck, and It might be better to wait until it starts to peel on its own rather than take it off too early.

Llama Juice
May 13th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I grew up in Wisconsin, recently moved to FL...

I'm fine... my roommate moved from Michigan.

We went out to the beach and got owned by the sun, just slapped some Aloe Vera stuff on the burns and in a few days were were all good. We went out without sunscreen and were out on the beach for about 3 hours.

How long were you kids out there? Chances are her skin just isn't used to it and she isn't used to the feeling. Tell her to grow a pair and man up. Or you can play the roll of super caring omg guy and take her to the hospital just to make sure she doesn't have a super crazy intense burn.

Caboos001
May 13th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Havn't tried, how exactly will it help, she won't try unless I can tell her what it does to help.

here is a short list of things it is used for and other facts.

"Tea Tree Oil Healing Powers

Tea tree oil has been proven to be a powerful yet natural antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal medicine (essential oil).

It is being used as a very effective first aid remedy and against countless skin ailments, infections, cuts, scrapes, burns, insect bites and skin spots etc.

Tea tree oil is effective against nail fungus, ringworm, athlete's foot, dandruff, acne, blackheads and many types of infestations including lice, mites, scabies and mosquitoes etc... (For humans and animals alike)

Tea tree oil is not just soothing and disinfecting, it is capable of penetrating into the lower skin layers with its anti-inflammatory, disinfectant, analgesic (pain-killing) and cicatrizant (wound-healing) qualities.

It has a diaphoretic effect - It promotes sweating - which enhances the body's own natural preventative response when threatened by infection.

Tea tree oil exhibits expectorant and balsamic characteristics, which are especially beneficial in the case of throat or chest infections, having a generally soothing and clearing (mucus-expelling) effect on the entire respiratory tract. It is also effective against head colds."
in short, :iia:

http://www.teatreeoiluses.com/

you can find it everywhere, not sure where my family order it from though.

Corndogman
May 13th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Its best to take her to a doctor or something. I've had 3rd degree burns on my chest and shoulders and it hurts like hell. I've lived in Florida my whole life so I'm smart about going outside for too long. I'm still pale as hell because i either burn or stay white.

king_nothing_
May 13th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Ibuprofen and Aloe.

I had sunburn so bad last year my face peeled twice...from one exposure.

Roostervier
May 13th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I got sunburned real bad once, and it lasted for about a week and a half (of being red, lots of shedding after that). You could press on my skin and water would come out. D:

But yeah, she will just have to sit still (if possible) for a while, it should go away in about a week, and then she will shed a lot. :\

Bodzilla
May 13th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I grew up in Wisconsin, recently moved to FL...

I'm fine... my roommate moved from Michigan.

We went out to the beach and got owned by the sun, just slapped some Aloe Vera stuff on the burns and in a few days were were all good. We went out without sunscreen and were out on the beach for about 3 hours.

How long were you kids out there? Chances are her skin just isn't used to it and she isn't used to the feeling. Tell her to grow a pair and man up. Or you can play the roll of super caring omg guy and take her to the hospital just to make sure she doesn't have a super crazy intense burn.
This.

it's a sunburn. If it's bad enough it will hurt for a few days. Remeber to use sunscreen next time.

Apoc4lypse
May 13th, 2008, 05:15 PM
She's lived in Wisconsin for most of her life and now that she's in Florida I'm wondering if her body cant take the sun that well.

^Exhibit A: This threads title. :rolleyes:

If its not too bad, but just a really bad burn, I'd put aloe on it, either buy some store bought aloe, or even better (this stuff feels the best and works better because its pure except if her sunburns too bad idk how safe it is, could cause infection idk.) Find an aloe plant, cut it apart and "sqeeze" the jelly stuff out of it. Its the main ingredient or active ingredient they put in all aloe products for sunburn and it works way better then store bought stuff which is diluted with other junk.

Again, if its really bad like your saying (putting stuff on it is making it worse) then I'd take her to a doctor first before trying to aloe plant. Otherwise I think its the best thing to use on sunburn.

As for how to find an aloe plant... uhh just google it there should be pictures there, and they grow in Florida so you should be able to find one, or just ask a local about it.

Once again... do this at your own risk, or her risk or w/e... I don't want to be the blame for infections or allergic reactions (although I doubt that'd happen).

Llama Juice
May 13th, 2008, 05:42 PM
My mom used to have a few of those plants around the house for just that reason, they work wonders for sunburn.

DrunkenSamus
May 13th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Its best to take her to a doctor or something. I've had 3rd degree burns on my chest and shoulders and it hurts like hell. I've lived in Florida my whole life so I'm smart about going outside for too long. I'm still pale as hell because i either burn or stay white.

Ahh, so your a fair skinned person. That sucks...NO BEACH FOR YOU.:v:

Corndogman
May 13th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I'm fine at the beach. i was very young (elementary school) when it happened, and didn't know i couldn't stay at the beach for seven hours rarely putting on sunscreen. I'm pretty fair skinned but id be tan if i went outside more instead of being here on the forums.

Bodzilla
May 13th, 2008, 09:22 PM
My mom used to have a few of those plants around the house for just that reason, they work wonders for sunburn.
ditto.

king_nothing_
May 14th, 2008, 02:55 AM
So hey, I'm the only one who said ibuprofen.

Take ibuprofen for the pain and inflammation.

NuggetWarmer
May 14th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I got second degree burns from sunburn once. Trust me, she'll heal. It'll just take longer than normal sunburn.

king_nothing_
May 14th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I had second degree burns from sunburn last summer.

DaneO'Roo
May 14th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I can bet that you've got a really deep fucking tan then King :V

n00b1n8R
May 14th, 2008, 04:52 AM
What a ditz.
I know! lets go in the blazing hot sun for a few hours without any protection. I'm sure it will all be fine. :downs:

:fail:

Patrickssj6
May 14th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Lucky I'm Latino...I don't have any issues :downs:

rossmum
May 14th, 2008, 05:48 AM
What a ditz.
I know! lets go in the blazing hot sun for a few hours without any protection. I'm sure it will all be fine. :downs:

:fail:
skin cancer is grate fun

Worst burn I've had only lasted about two days, I used to be pretty fair-skinned but after being out here for 10 and a half years, I don't burn nearly as bad.

Usually takes a good 4-5 hours out in direct sun with no sunscreen (I didn't think I was going to be out there anywhere near that long, shut up) before I burn noticeably.

n00b1n8R
May 14th, 2008, 06:00 AM
skin cancer is grate fun
QFT

Wakeboy1337
May 14th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Sorry I was afk for so long, I got her to get in a bathtub full of cold water and soak for a couple hours to draw the heat off and then she remembered this stuff she had with eucalyptus in it(the stuff koala bears eat) and she rubbed that on for about 3 hours in the the tub using 2 contaniers (idk how big they were i was on the phone with her) and this morning when I saw her she was looking MUCH better, still burned and red of course but it looks like normal sunburn now. I think it should be healed in about 4 or 5 days :)

Llama Juice
May 14th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Wakeboy went Wakeboarding.
Wakegirl went aswell.
On the wake they baked.

It's a poem. It's pretty.

Wakeboy1337
May 14th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Wakegirl went aswell.
On the wake they baked.

I'm gonna show her that :lmao:

n00b1n8R
May 14th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Wakegirl went aswell.
On the wake they baked.

:v:

Llama Juice
May 14th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I just copywrote it, if you want to use it you'll have to pay royalties. I accept most major credit cards, paypal, and +rep.

Gwunty
May 14th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Lucky I'm Latino...I don't have any issues :downs:
hf o/ to sexy skin.

itszutak
May 14th, 2008, 09:05 PM
this is why i always wear a winter jacket

and jeans

Wakeboy1337
May 15th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I just copywrote it, if you want to use it you'll have to pay royalties. I accept most major credit cards, paypal, and +rep.

Repping ;)

SnaFuBAR
May 15th, 2008, 01:35 PM
so yeh being a natural glowy bronze i have no problems with the sun. except for that one time i spent 12 hours out in the sun by the beach. my forehead peeled for a day.

Bodzilla
May 15th, 2008, 04:09 PM
i used to be black when i was a kid.

i remember going to the beach once at 6am, and i didnt leave until 7pm when it was getting dark.

No sunburn.
o/

SnaFuBAR
May 15th, 2008, 04:31 PM
\o

Limited
May 15th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Sounds painful.

My dorm mate went out in the sun from 8am to 5pm. Sunniest day this year (not hard to top lol, bloody rain) Never put any suntan lotion on and got ULTRA burnt, hes like a lobster, worst part is he had to do the 8 -5 think 4 more days lol.

Get some aftersun and wack that on. Its good to heal and sooth the skin.

Me being me, of COURSE I had to slap the shit out of that dude, it had to be done.

I dont suggest doing that to your gf though. Hope she gets better soon, she may have sunstroke right now, try to keep her cool and drink lots of water, skin will become tight and dry.

DrunkenSamus
May 15th, 2008, 11:54 PM
The peeling is the best part. It's so fun and....:gonk:

Matooba
May 17th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I would highly recommend using "lanocaine or solarcaine sunburn spray"!It numbs the skin relieving the burn. After use vinegar to easy pain from there on.

Bastinka
May 17th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Not a doctor, Dermatologist. Skin-doctor, they'll have ways of treating it. And ouch, once the skin starts peeling that'll be prettyyyy nasty.